#1130978 --- 01/09/10 11:16 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: Kitty]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Originally Posted By: Kitty
"...and unlawfully growing cannabis without a license."

One may obtain a license in NY? Hmmm...

Oh well, rookies...

It's a federal requirement that one needs to get a license and pay the tax, and it's virtually impossible to get one. That's a way to lay on another charge, and aso to stifle research:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
HR. 238 [75th]: Marihuana Tax Act
full text
Bill guide 5.png
Signed by the president.
Introduced August 2, 1937
Sponsor(s) Rep. Robert L. Doughton [-]
Source: {{{footnotes}}}
Major U.S. Federal
narcotic laws
Marijuana icon.jpg
1906 Pure Food and Drug Act
Regulates labeling of products containing
certain drugs including cocaine and heroin
1914 Harrison Narcotics Tax Act
Regulates opiates and cocaine
1937 Marihuana Tax Act
Criminalizes marijuana
1964 Convention on Narcotics
Treaty to control marijuana
1970 Controlled Substance Act
Scheduling list for drugs
v d e

In the United States, the 1937 Marihuana Tax Act, Pub. 238, 75th Congress, 50 Stat. 551 (Aug. 2, 1937), was a significant bill on the path[1] that led to the criminalization of cannabis. It was introduced to U.S. Congress by Commissioner of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics, Harry Anslinger. The Act is now commonly referred to using the modern spelling as the 1937 Marijuana Tax Act.

The Act did not itself criminalize the possession or usage of hemp, marijuana, or cannabis, but levied a tax equaling roughly one dollar on anyone who dealt commercially in cannabis, hemp, or marijuana. The Act did include penalty provisions and elaborate rules of enforcement to which marijuana, cannabis, or hemp handlers were subject. Violation of these procedures could result in a fine of up to $2000 and five years' imprisonment. The net effect was to increase the risk for anyone dealing in the substance at least until World War II required the United States Department of Agriculture to make its 1942 movie "Hemp for Victory". The film encouraged and taught farmers to grow variants of hemp suitable as raw material for hawsers used by the U.S. Navy and the Merchant Marine, prior to the adoption of Nylon rope. The hemp was also used as a substitute for other fibrous materials that were blocked by Japan.

The bill was passed on the grounds of different reports[2] and hearings [3]. Anslinger also referred to the International Opium Convention that from 1928 included cannabis as a drug, and that all states had some kind of laws against improper use of cannabis. Some testimonies included that cannabis caused "murder, insanity and death"[4]. Today, it is generally accepted that the hearings included incorrect, excessive or unfounded arguments.[5] By 1951, however, new justifications had emerged, and a bill that superseded the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 was passed.[citation needed]

The background also included a report about the commercialized hemp reporting that from 1880 to 1933 the hemp grown in the United States had declined from 15,000 acres (61 km2), to 1,200 acres (5 km2), and that the price of line hemp had dropped from $12.50 per pound in 1914 to $9.00 per pound in 1933.[6]

In 1967, President Johnson's Commission on Law Enforcement and Administration of justice opined, "The Act raises an insignificant amount of revenue and exposes an insignificant number of marijuana transactions to public view, since only a handful of people are registered under the Act. It has become, in effect, solely- a criminal law, imposing sanctions upon persons who sell, acquire, or possess marijuana."[7]

In 1969 in Leary v. United States, part of the Act was ruled to be unconstitutional as a violation of the Fifth Amendment, since a person seeking the tax stamp would have to incriminate him/herself.[8] In response the Congress passed the Controlled Substances Act as Title II of the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970[9]. The 1937 Act was repealed by the 1970 Act.

Although the spelling "marijuana" is more common in current usage, the correct spelling for the Marihuana Tax Act is "Marihuana". "Marihuana" was the spelling most commonly used in Federal Government documents at the time. To stay consistent with prior law, it is still spelled "Marihuana" in some congressional bills such as HR 3037, the Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2005.

In addition, the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 legitimized the use of the term "marihuana" as a label for hemp and cannabis plants and products. Prior to 1937, "marihuana/marijuana" was slang; it was not included in any official dictionaries.[10] The slang word marihuana/marijuana is probably of Mexican origin. In the years leading up to the tax act considerable issues existed involving illegal immigration of Mexicans into the United States, and the one thing Mexicans were identified as being in possession of was cannabis,[citation needed] which they called marihuana. The southern border states called for action.[citation needed] . After the enactment, illegal immigrants and U.S. citizens could be arrested for possession of cannabis.

Shortly after the U.S. Congress passed the Marijuana Tax Stamp Act On Friday, October 1, 1937 the Federal Bureau of Narcotics and Denver City police first arrested Moses Baca for possession and Samuel Caldwell for dealing. Baca and Caldwell's arrest made them the first marijuana convictions under U.S. federal law for not paying the marijuana tax.[11]

Judge Foster Symes sentenced Moses Baca to 18 months and Samuel Caldwell to four years in Leavenworth Penitentiary for violating the 1937 Marihuana Tax Act.

FingerLakes1.com
#1130988 --- 01/09/10 11:45 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: grinch]
Mountain Man Offline

Loc: out there
Be that as it may, Grinch, alcohol and tobacco are far more devastating to the family and individual than pot.

But, as you say, it is illegal, and thus I stay away from it. Having done it in my younger life and having had and still having alcohol, I can tell you from my own experience that the alcohol is far more poisonous to the body and mind.

Someday the law will change. Anything abused is a bad thing. Using it doesn't mean abusing it just as having a drink does not make one a drunk.

#1130992 --- 01/09/10 11:53 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: VM Smith]
MissLadybugg Offline

Loc: seneca falls ny
To the posters who are "self rightous" bragging how theY don't smoke weed and want to urine screen everybody and their brother? Get over it.Brag about how you're NOt the one behind bars? SO? BE proud. whatever.Screen the people who are always late for work or calling in,making mistakes on their jobs,, or live their entire lives on welfare.Screen those who are in charge of reforming criminals in the legal realm.
These people who addicted to prescription drugs are the ones who are scary. Pot should not be legal for obvious reasons but if it's smoked in moderation and occasionally,there's nothing wrong with it.Plus,it can help with chronic pain and is often better then piLLs.Of course it's often misused just the same as alcohol and FOOD ect ect..
It does destroy "some" lives and the legal trouble is definitely not worth the buzz.Such a unfair system,besides!!
It's a epidemic in our county and the surrounding ones.People that we would Never expect,, smoke it.Often,it's shocking.
In Cali, people are learning to grow it legally for profit and have no interest in smoking it. Now they offer college credits for this over there.I'm not sure it's worth all the financial gain for these folks, really, but I could be wrong. In any matter,it's here forever and up to us how we deal with it.
See NORML's<yes that's how it's spelled>... website. Interesting reading on that site.

#1130993 --- 01/09/10 11:57 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: MissLadybugg]
pizza man Offline

Loc: seneca
maybe if the government would just legalize weed it could help the debt that we are in. it could probably be a billion dollar industry just like tobacco if not more than.

#1130994 --- 01/09/10 12:03 PM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: MissLadybugg]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

"Pot should not be legal for obvious reasons"

What are the obvious reasons?

#1130997 --- 01/09/10 12:11 PM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: VM Smith]
pizza man Offline

Loc: seneca
yea but there are reasons for it to be legal.

#1131002 --- 01/09/10 12:29 PM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: pizza man]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: pizza man

No doubt.

#1131011 --- 01/09/10 12:43 PM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: pizza man]
angela Offline

Loc: usa
And tell me the reasons it should be legal?

#1131012 --- 01/09/10 12:44 PM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: VM Smith]
Pumper XXX Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Once the older closed minded generation fades, away and the younger more tolerant generation comes into its own, maybe then can we have an intelligent debate on this issue.
It did not work for prohibition did not work and the current drug policies are not working. Why WASTE tax payers money on TRYING to control pot. Legalize it and MAKE money from its sale.
Reefer Madness was not an accurate account of the effects of pot. When was the last time you told your kids.... watch out for that person.. he is high on POT..
I do not agree with the legalization of other controlled substances. I also do not buy into the theory of pot being a "gateway" drug. Is a cup of pepsi a "gateway" drug because it can lead to mixing it with Capt Morgans..

#1131030 --- 01/09/10 02:00 PM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: angela]
exnyer Offline

Loc: other
And tell me the reasons it should be legal? other than the obvious Taxes, fuel, medical, Jobs, Cut off importation and stop financing cartels Here are 3 reasons why it should be legal

1 freedom of choice
2 life, liberty and the pursuit of "Happiness" (Happiness is a state of mind or feeling characterized by contentment, love, satisfaction, pleasure, or joy.)
3 I would love to smoke a joint w/ you and talk more. :-)

#1131034 --- 01/09/10 02:12 PM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: angela]
angela Offline

Originally Posted By: angela
look at this post... i never did drugs. he said they was a reason.. and i askedwhat reason.. so before you point the finger read it closely.....

#1131104 --- 01/09/10 07:01 PM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: angela]
threeputt Offline

Loc: Waterloo
look at this post... i never did drugs. he said they was a reason.. and i askedwhat reason.. so before you point the finger read it closely.....

Angela...if I understand this post correctly, you are saying you never used drugs. As one of your biggest supporters in your effort to quit smoking, I have to remind you that nicotine is a drug and, BTW, it kills more Americans every year than all illicit drugs combined. Alcohol is second.

#1131107 --- 01/09/10 07:09 PM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: exnyer]
angela Offline

Originally Posted By: exnyer
And tell me the reasons it should be legal? other than the obvious Taxes, fuel, medical, Jobs, Cut off importation and stop financing cartels Here are 3 reasons why it should be legal

1 freedom of choice
2 life, liberty and the pursuit of "Happiness" (Happiness is a state of mind or feeling characterized by contentment, love, satisfaction, pleasure, or joy.)
3 I would love to smoke a joint w/ you and talk more. :-)
Talking about pot........

#1131108 --- 01/09/10 07:10 PM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: threeputt]
angela Offline

He was talking about Pot.... thats what i was trying to say never did pot......

#1131126 --- 01/09/10 08:01 PM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: angela]
Senecamom Offline

Loc: On a journey......
I like the title of the thread.... carry on....

#1131138 --- 01/09/10 08:39 PM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: angela]
threeputt Offline

Loc: Waterloo
He was talking about Pot.... thats what i was trying to say never did pot......

OH. OK. Thanks.

#1131146 --- 01/09/10 08:44 PM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: Senecamom]
angela Offline

Originally Posted By: Senecamom
Me too... Carry on ....

Edited by angela (01/09/10 08:45 PM)

#1131156 --- 01/09/10 08:58 PM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: angela]
RedGreen Offline

Loc: Charlotte
Originally Posted By: Senecamom
Me too... Carry on ....

Thanks both. There is a very tongue-in-cheek reason why I chose that title. ;\)

#1131160 --- 01/09/10 09:06 PM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: threeputt]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

"nicotine is a drug and, BTW, it kills more Americans every year than all illicit drugs"

Not exactly true. Smoking tobacco kills, and there are about 4,000 chemicals in tobacco. The CO, CO2, formaldehyde, mercury, arsenic, smoke particles, tar, etc., etc., etc.. are at least as dangerous as nicotine.

#1131161 --- 01/09/10 09:07 PM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: RedGreen]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Bite your tongue, young man!

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >