FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#1133294 --- 01/15/10 08:32 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: Taxpayer14456]
Senecamom Offline

Loc: On a journey......
Actually, what you describe is a good example of Governmental thinking today....no real plan, just tax and spend. I am not trying to be inflammatory, its just that the government may very well see this as an opportunity for all the wrong reasons as you have stated.

FingerLakes1.com
#1133296 --- 01/15/10 08:35 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: terrapinie]
Animal Lover Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: terrapinie
VM & Senecamom - thank you for providing some great links and news articles. I'd rather discuss topics with informed folks instead of those who'd just rather say "the government tells me cannabis is wrong, so it has to be - and if you don't agree, you're a law-breaker and therefore evil." (and please dumb-down that sentence as much as necessary - I probably should have included some typos and improper grammar - 'your a law-breaker'). lol

On a side note: For anyone who might be interested in helping Mike out through this time, please contact me via private message. I'm in the beginning stages of planning a Spaghetti Dinner Benefit on behalf of Mike and his family. Anyone who might want to help out, donate, toss in ideas/suggestions for the benefit, etc. - just let me know. We have a location in mind, but if anyone has a place to suggest - that would be great as well.
And before my inbox fills with nonsense messages - if you're not in support of Mike, and only want to rag on this situation more, don't bother messaging me. You can make your opinions known right here on the forum. I'm only looking to hear from those who genuinely want to provide support.

Being you put out so much personal info on Mike would you mind answering a question? I think a lot of people would be curious to know what kind of person Mike is before they start contributing.

Did or does Mike have gainful employment over the years since he has been considered an adult? Was he working somewhere before he came down with cancer? If he is a hard-working guy who has been contributing to society and was growing weed on the side to make an extra $83,000 then you know, maybe some of us would be willing to help. (sarcasm) But if he is the kind of guy that is growing illegal drugs for a living then I don't think you are going to get much help from the general pubic. Maybe from his family and customers.

Seriously, I don't mean to sound cruel but give me a freaking break.

And before anyone starts spewing nonsense about me thinking I'm perfect and judging this guy don't waste your time. I'm not perfect but I'm not knowingly breaking the law growing an illegal substance for resale. Beyond that I'm just as messed up as anyone else. But I have a right to think this is ridiculous.

I would much rather help someone who has contributed to society in a way that is considered more acceptable. If he wanted a little weed to smoke for himself good for him. But this guy was into selling and no one can convince me otherwise.

#1133309 --- 01/15/10 08:51 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: Senecamom]
terrapinie Offline

Originally Posted By: Senecamom
Just to be clear, I do not support what Mike is accused of. Sorry.

No Worries Senecamom. I just appreciate you taking the time to provide some great informative articles.

Animal Lover - yes, Mike has had jobs to support himself over the years.
And do you know that $83K was actually discovered? Or are you simply believing what you read and hear in the news? Remember - sensationalism goes a long way and there are many details that have been exaggerated for that purpose.
If you don't care to support Mike, don't - I didn't ask you to. And if you think a benefit would be a flop - that's fine, don't show up. We honestly wouldn't want you there, sorry - you're kind of a Debbie-Downer.... And we tend to be happier people.

Taxpayer - POSSESSING under 25 grams of marijuana is a simple violation. However, buying it, smoking it, etc. are illegal - and subject to harsher punishments. So, unless someone has the ability to simply fabricate their stash out of thin air and then somehow ingest it miraculously - cannabis is illegal and punishable. So, no, those who support legalization do not currently have the 'governmental regulated marijuana laws we want'....

#1133319 --- 01/15/10 09:03 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: terrapinie]
Animal Lover Offline

Originally Posted By: Senecamom
Just to be clear, I do not support what Mike is accused of. Sorry.

Animal Lover - yes, Mike has had jobs to support himself over the years.
And do you know that $83K was actually discovered? Or are you simply believing what you read and hear in the news? Remember - sensationalism goes a long way and there are many details that have been exaggerated for that purpose.If you don't care to support Mike, don't - I didn't ask you to. And if you think a benefit would be a flop - that's fine, don't show up. We honestly wouldn't want you there, sorry - you're kind of a Debbie-Downer.... And we tend to be happier people.

Well, I'm sure the truth will all come out. That's what people always claim. That they didn't do it. It's a lie. It's an exaggeration. So I'm supposed to take your word over others?

And as far as me being a debbie downer, whatever. LOL. I'm a very happy person. But I call b.s. when I see it. I'm what you would call a happy realist.

ETA:

You really didn't answer my question. Mike has had jobs over the years? He's 25. How many different jobs? Where is he working now or where was he working right before he got sick/arrested? Oh, he wasn't working recently? Was he too busy installing ventilation and irrigation systems?

Edited by Animal Lover (01/15/10 09:05 AM)

#1133320 --- 01/15/10 09:05 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: terrapinie]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

Loc: Geneva

Taxpayer - POSSESSING under 25 grams of marijuana is a simple violation. However, buying it, smoking it, etc. are illegal - and subject to harsher punishments. So, unless someone has the ability to simply fabricate their stash out of thin air and then somehow ingest it miraculously - cannabis is illegal and punishable. So, no, those who support legalization do not currently have the 'governmental regulated marijuana laws we want'....

The one selling the marijuana can be charged with sale. Which would be a crime. The one buying under the law stated amount can be charged with a non-criminal offense. Simply, unlawful possession of marijuana. Smoking it in your own home and getting caught is the non-criminal offense of unlawful possession of marijuana.

Smoking it in public is a crime.

Seems like NYS is actually on top of things as far as having de-criminalized marijuana.

Having a growing system in place and possessing 68 plants along with illegal weapons and cocaine will always be illegal.

#1133321 --- 01/15/10 09:07 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: terrapinie]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

On a side note: For anyone who might be interested in helping Mike out through this time, please contact me via private message. I'm in the beginning stages of planning a Spaghetti Dinner Benefit on behalf of Mike and his family.

Will there be a certain type of brownies for desert?

#1133341 --- 01/15/10 10:09 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: Taxpayer14456]
terrapinie Offline

Animal Lover - do you need his resume and references from former employers? Either way - you've already stated that you're not interested in contributing and think the idea of helping out a friend is ridiculous. So - at this point, it's none of your business who his employers have been and when he worked - because you'll still have your preconceived notions and judgement about him.

Taxpayer - you just contradicted yourself in the same stinking post - are you sure your short term memory hasn't been affected at all....
"The one selling the marijuana can be charged with sale. Which would be a crime.... Seems like NYS is actually on top of things as far as having de-criminalized marijuana."

What?!?! So tell me how, again, marijuana is not a crime? How does the buyer buy it? If it's in public, it's illegal. So... how does one transport their purchase to their private home, without having it in public? The seller is always wrong... So in order for someone to purchase their supposedly legal marijuana - one, if not both involved, has to break the law. How do you not understand that the 'de-criminalization' present in NYS is no where near a permanent solution? At least, not a permanent solution to those who believe it should be our choice whether to use it or not.

#1133348 --- 01/15/10 10:22 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: terrapinie]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

What?!?! So tell me how, again, marijuana is not a crime? How does the buyer buy it? If it's in public, it's illegal.

You need to get off the pot. It's not doing you any good. The charge of unlawful possession of marijuana is NOT a crime. It is a violation. A crime is a misdemeanor or a felony. A violation is NOT a crime. I am not sure I can put that any simpler.

If you are walking in public holding an unlit joint the charge is unlawful possession of marijuana. It's a violation and NOT a crime.

The only law in regards to being in public is the smoking of marijuana in public. Which would make that possession a crime. That crime would be a misdemeanor.

So... how does one transport their purchase to their private home, without having it in public? The seller is always wrong... So in order for someone to purchase their supposedly legal marijuana - one, if not both involved, has to break the law.

Whh what?

And people say marijuana use has no long term profound effect on someone.

How do you not understand that the 'de-criminalization' present in NYS is no where near a permanent solution? At least, not a permanent solution to those who believe it should be our choice whether to use it or not.

What is the permanent solution?

It is still your choice whether or not you want to use it. I exercise my choice everyday by not wanting to use it.

#1133351 --- 01/15/10 10:41 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: Taxpayer14456]
terrapinie Offline

Taxpayer - READ YOUR LAWS!!! You're not getting it.
And, as has been said before - the choice right now is whether or not to break the law; it is not simply the choice of whether or not to use.

Here's the actual Penal Code.
221.05 Unlawful possession of marihuana.
A person is guilty of unlawful possession of marihuana when he
knowingly and unlawfully possesses marihuana.
Unlawful possession of marihuana is a violation punishable only by a
fine of not more than one hundred dollars. However, where the defendant
has previously been convicted of an offense defined in this article or
article 220 of this chapter, committed within the three years
immediately preceding such violation, it shall be punishable (a) only by
a fine of not more than two hundred dollars, if the defendant was
previously convicted of one such offense committed during such period,
and (b) by a fine of not more than two hundred fifty dollars or a term
of imprisonment not in excess of fifteen days or both, if the defendant
was previously convicted of two such offenses committed during such
period.

And here's the first 'Non-Violation' - aka Criminal - Penal Code charge:
221.10 Criminal possession of marihuana in the fifth degree.
A person is guilty of criminal possession of marihuana in the fifth
degree when he knowingly and unlawfully possesses:
1. marihuana in a public place, as defined in section 240.00 of this
chapter, and such marihuana is burning or open to public view; or
2. one or more preparations, compounds, mixtures or substances
containing marihuana and the preparations, compounds, mixtures or
substances are of an aggregate weight of more than twenty-five grams.
Criminal possession of marihuana in the fifth degree is a class B
misdemeanor.

And here's the first sale Penal Code charge:
221.35 Criminal sale of marihuana in the fifth degree.
A person is guilty of criminal sale of marihuana in the fifth degree
when he knowingly and unlawfully sells, without consideration, one or
more preparations, compounds, mixtures or substances containing
marihuana and the preparations, compounds, mixtures or substances are of
an aggregate weight of two grams or less; or one cigarette containing
marihuana.
Criminal sale of marihuana in the fifth degree is a class B
misdemeanor.

So.... remind me again how buying, selling, and possessing cannabis is not illegal again.....
You say apparently marijuana has affected my ability to think - but take some time, a deep breath or two to prepare - and read the friggin laws. In order to POSSESS marijuana - you have to either buy it or grow it yourself - both of which involves CRIMINAL activity.... I don't understand how you don't see the Catch-22 the law has set up....

#1133352 --- 01/15/10 10:47 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: Taxpayer14456]
NOTPERFECT Offline

I've been watching this thread since it began and would like to share a few things with everyone.

First, terrapinie and others thanks for the show of support for this young man.

Second, Animal Lover, you & several others are naturally wondering what type of person Mike is, I will try to answer that as best I can.

Mike has had several jobs, starting with a local pennysaver route when he was 10, and adding a regular paper route to that as soon as he was old enough. He worked at various jobs through high school here in the community. He also worked at a local factory and a local restaurant or two while going to college.
He most recently was employed as an assistant manager at a store at the outlet mall. Sometimes he held two jobs at the same time.

He also has a family that loves him and supports him that consists of his mother and two younger sisters, who have all been affected by his cancer diagnosis and now by the legal issues as well. He'd give a friend the shirt off his back & a
place to stay if they asked.

He is not a "hardened" criminal by any means.

And just to clear something up -- Mike was not the only person living in that house, just the only one there when the search warrant was served - remember the paper said "more arrests to come"

#1133362 --- 01/15/10 11:01 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: terrapinie]
it'sme Offline

Loc: USA
delivered pizza for Avicolli's. Cut people off and flipped people off (with A's sign on his car). Avicollli's did nothing despite complaints. They lost business, including ours.

#1133363 --- 01/15/10 11:03 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: NOTPERFECT]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: inside your head & under your ...
Originally Posted By: NOTPERFECT
I've been watching this thread since it began and would like to share a few things with everyone.

Second, Animal Lover, you & several others are naturally wondering what type of person Mike is, I will try to answer that as best I can.

Mike has had several jobs, starting with a local pennysaver route when he was 10, and adding a regular paper route to that as soon as he was old enough. He worked at various jobs through high school here in the community. He also worked at a local factory and a local restaurant or two while going to college.
He most recently was employed as an assistant manager at a store at the outlet mall. Sometimes he held two jobs at the same time.

He also has a family that loves him and supports him that consists of his mother and two younger sisters, who have all been affected by his cancer diagnosis and now by the legal issues as well. He'd give a friend the shirt off his back & a

And just to clear something up -- Mike was not the only person living in that house, just the only one there when the search warrant was served - remember the paper said "more arrests to come"

Lets add that he was quite the horticulturalist as well!

#1133364 --- 01/15/10 11:04 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: Animal Lover]
Kitty Offline

Loc: Chucking wood
"...And before anyone starts spewing nonsense about me thinking I'm perfect..."

You're just being practical. I don't think any one wishes ill-will on the man, but there are limitations to our sympathy and empathy.

#1133370 --- 01/15/10 11:16 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: terrapinie]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

Taxpayer - READ YOUR LAWS!!! You're not getting it.
And, as has been said before - the choice right now is whether or not to break the law; it is not simply the choice of whether or not to use.

It is a choice whether you choose to want to or not. I exercise my right everyday not to want to use. I will exercise my right later not to shoplift when I go to the store.

What are you looking for? Do you want the government to tell you it's ok? Are you looking to be lead by the hand?

Here's the actual Penal Code.
221.05 Unlawful possession of marihuana.
A person is guilty of unlawful possession of marihuana when he
knowingly and unlawfully possesses marihuana.
Unlawful possession of marihuana is a violation punishable only by a
fine of not more than one hundred dollars. However, where the defendant
has previously been convicted of an offense defined in this article or
article 220 of this chapter, committed within the three years
immediately preceding such violation, it shall be punishable (a) only by
a fine of not more than two hundred dollars, if the defendant was
previously convicted of one such offense committed during such period,
and (b) by a fine of not more than two hundred fifty dollars or a term
of imprisonment not in excess of fifteen days or both, if the defendant
was previously convicted of two such offenses committed during such
period.

The key word is VIOLATION. It is NOT a crime.

And here's the first 'Non-Violation' - aka Criminal - Penal Code charge:
221.10 Criminal possession of marihuana in the fifth degree.
A person is guilty of criminal possession of marihuana in the fifth
degree when he knowingly and unlawfully possesses:
1. marihuana in a public place, as defined in section 240.00 of this
chapter, and such marihuana is burning or open to public view; or
2. one or more preparations, compounds, mixtures or substances
containing marihuana and the preparations, compounds, mixtures or
substances are of an aggregate weight of more than twenty-five grams.
Criminal possession of marihuana in the fifth degree is a class B
misdemeanor.

And here's the first sale Penal Code charge:
221.35 Criminal sale of marihuana in the fifth degree.
A person is guilty of criminal sale of marihuana in the fifth degree
when he knowingly and unlawfully sells, without consideration, one or
more preparations, compounds, mixtures or substances containing
marihuana and the preparations, compounds, mixtures or substances are of
an aggregate weight of two grams or less; or one cigarette containing
marihuana.
Criminal sale of marihuana in the fifth degree is a class B
misdemeanor.

So.... remind me again how buying, selling, and possessing cannabis is not illegal again.....
You say apparently marijuana has affected my ability to think - but take some time, a deep breath or two to prepare - and read the friggin laws. In order to POSSESS marijuana - you have to either buy it or grow it yourself - both of which involves CRIMINAL activity.... I don't understand how you don't see the Catch-22 the law has set up....

What I have been saying is unlawful possession of marijuana is NOT a crime.

Whew! I am glad that you finally realize that what your friend here did was illegal.

As a friend you should of had this talk with him.

#1133377 --- 01/15/10 11:28 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: Kitty]
Animal Lover Offline

Originally Posted By: Kitty

You're just being practical. I don't think any one wishes ill-will on the man, but there are limitations to our sympathy and empathy.

Exactly. Thank you kitty. I sympathize for him and his family about the cancer, but I, personally, would set a limit as far as whether or not I would help them out financially.

#1133386 --- 01/15/10 12:04 PM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: Animal Lover]
NOTPERFECT Offline

Originally Posted By: Kitty

Exactly. Thank you kitty. I sympathize for him and his family about the cancer, but I, personally, would set a limit as far as whether or not I would help them out financially.

A question was asked and it was answered -- only meant for enlightenment - not to evoke sympathy or empathy -- what you choose to do or not do is your business.[/color]

#1133392 --- 01/15/10 12:29 PM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: NOTPERFECT]
terrapinie Offline

Taxpayer - you said:
"Seems like NYS is actually on top of things as far as having de-criminalized marijuana."

Now you're back peddling. Yes, it's a violation to possess under 25 grams. In order to possess it however - you must break the law to get it. I don't know how many more times I can explain this Catch-22 to you... Seems as though you require a tack-hammer to the forehead to actually get something in there....

And for It'sme:
with A's sign on his car

Is that supposed to be referring to an Avicolli's sign on his car? Or A's sign as in Oakland....?

#1133439 --- 01/15/10 02:23 PM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: terrapinie]
Unique Offline

Loc: Seneca
What will we be helping Mike out with...bail ($40,000) or medical/travel bills?

#1133443 --- 01/15/10 02:31 PM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: Taxpayer14456]
Unique Offline

LOL this is sooooooooo funny. Brownies?? Probably!
Originally Posted By: Taxpayer14456
On a side note: For anyone who might be interested in helping Mike out through this time, please contact me via private message. I'm in the beginning stages of planning a Spaghetti Dinner Benefit on behalf of Mike and his family.

Will there be a certain type of brownies for desert?

#1133450 --- 01/15/10 02:57 PM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: NOTPERFECT]
Unique Offline

Originally Posted By: NOTPERFECT

Hello Mom! Uhhh didn't we forget Mike worked in a "tatoo shop"? At 25 one would want to settle in...somewhere.

Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 >