FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 ... 35 36 >
Topic Options
#1104199 --- 11/15/09 04:17 AM ACT TODAY to stop rail transportation of garbage
Roadtrip2nowhere Offline

Loc: No where but here
Dear Friends,

Please write the public officials listed below TODAY to protest this new outrage: Seneca County, in partnership with Finger Lakes Railway Corporation
and Seneca Meadows Landfill, Inc., have applied for a $17.5 million federal grant (called a TIGER Grant or “Finger Lakes Regional Rail Infrastructure Improvement Program”) to build railway infrastructure to pave the way to bring hundred of thousands of tons of downstate garbage to Seneca County by rail.

The Finger Lakes Railway Corp. has also submitted a $2.4M NYS DOT Request (under “2009 Highway Bill Requests” on Mike Arcuri’s website) for the same purpose.

Both grants would use millions of OUR tax dollars to subsidize a multi-national, multimillion-dollar private waste company to import more trash to a county already overburdened with 6,000 tons A DAY of mostly out-of-state and out-of-county garbage. The grants would build permanent infrastructure which would ensure that a rural county of less than 35,000 people would remain the “garbage capital" of the entire northeastern United States for decades to come.

Both grants mention displacement of trucks as their primary justification. However, page 5 of the TIGER application says that Seneca Meadows Landfill would only divert about 10% of truck traffic by using the railroad spur to the landfill. That means there would still be over 85,000 truckloads of garbage on the roads at their present daily and yearly tonnage rates. In other words, this would do almost nothing to reduce trash trucks on the road.

In addition, according to the filed TIGER grant, this huge expenditure of taxpayer dollars would create a total of only 12 permanent jobs (3 at the landfill, and 9 at the railroad).

PLEASE TAKE THE SIMPLE STEPS outlined below TODAY to protest these grants and stop this misguided project in its tracks. These grants are being reviewed NOW--please send your letters by November 20th!

More information:
(1) A $17.5M TIGER Grant (a.k.a. “Finger Lakes Regional Rail Infrastructure Improvement Program”), and
(2) A $2.4M NYS DOT Request by Finger Lakes Railway (under “2009 Highway Bill Requests” on Mike Arcuri’s website)

The project applicant for the larger grant is the County of Seneca in partnership with Finger Lakes Railway Corporation
and Seneca Meadows Landfill, Inc,

The project is located within the tri-county area of Ontario, Seneca and Wayne counties of NY State,
and is within the 24th, 25th and 29th NY State Congressional Districts (Arcuri, Maffei, and Massa, respectively).

Some of the other listed stakeholders are the town and village of Lyons, city and town of Geneva, and towns of Phelps, Junius,
Waterloo, Seneca Falls, as shown in the map, below:

Please follow these instructions to send your e-mail message (or regular mail) to your elected representatives:

1. Start a brand new e-mail message.

2. In the subject line of the e-mail itself, be sure to signal your constituent status by listing the town and state you
are e-mailing from. For example: Subject: "Request from Waterloo, New York."

3. On the first written line in the body of your e-mail, be sure to state your name and your outside mailing address:
For example: "My name is John Smith. I am a constituent who lives at 123 Main St., Geneva, NY 13216."

Note: the reason for the address information is that any e-mail that does not clearly demonstrate that it i s being sent by a
constituent runs the risk of deletion without being read.

4. Feel free to "cut and paste" from the attached example letter, below, but, if at all possible, personalize your e-mail
to create a unique message. Also be brief and clear about your request. (A good idea is to begin and end your e-mail with
a statement of your request.)

5.Pick and choose from among the e-mail addresses provided below, depending on your district, etc. If you send to all
addresses listed, please blind copy the addresses (that is, send it "BCC:") so that you don't appear to be SPAMing them.

Note: A lot of government officials prefer that you don't e-mail them directly but that you go onto their websites and fill out their
interactive, online forms. So if the e-mail addresses below bounce back, please try this route. Your voice counts either way.

And please feel free to forward this e-mail to others who are likeminded. (As a courtesy, pls. remove the person who forwarded
you the message so that the forwarded e-mail doesn't end up containing 3 pages of forwarded e-mail addresses . . .)

*************************************************************************************

E-Mail addresses:

Brian Kolb:
kolbb@assembly.state.ny.us

Mike Nozzolio:
nozzolio@senate.state.ny.us

Chuck Schumer:
Senator_schumer@schumer.senate.gov
senator@schumer.senate.gov

Kirsten Gillibrand:
andrea_taylor@gillibrand.senate.gov

Eric Massa:
eric.massa@mail.house.gov

Mike Arcuri:
ny24ima@mail.house.gov
bob.messinger@mail.house.gov (aide to Mike Arcuri who handles northern Seneca County form Cortland office)

Dan Maffei (go to his website for online form)

****************************************************************************************

Sample Letter:

Subject: Request from (name of town), New York.

RE: Two Grant Requests to Bring Trash by Rail to Seneca Meadows Landfill (SML) in Seneca County:
(1) A $17.5M TIGER Grant (a.k.a. “Finger Lakes Regional Rail Infrastructure Improvement Program”), and
(2) A $2.4M NYS DOT Request by Finger Lakes Railway (under “2009 Highway Bill Requests” on Mike Arcuri’s website)

Dear ___________________:

My name is ________ ________. I live at ______ __________, (town), NY (zip code)."

I am writing as a constituent to tell you of my vehement opposition to the two grants listed above .

Besides posing risks to air, water, health, and property values (in NEIGHBORING counties as well as ours), these grants would
build permanent infrastructure which would ensure, unfairly, that a rural county of less than 35,000 people would remain the
“garbage capital of New York State” (now, actually, of the entire Northeastern United States) for decades yet to come.
They wrongly promote the export of waste—creating an “out-of-sight, out-of -mind” attitude towards it—when better, safer,
more sustainable alternatives for building local economic growth can and should be funded instead. In addition:

• Both grants mention displacement of trucks as their primary justification. However, page 5 of the TIGER application says
that SML will only divert about 10% of truck traffic by using the railroad spur. That means there would still be over 85,000
truckloads of garbage on the roads at their present daily and yearly tonnage rates. In other words, this would do almost
nothing to reduce trash trucks on the road.

Moreover, a joint study released in 2001 by Columbia University’s Earth Institute and Center for Urban Research and Policy
identifies the long-distance export of waste as a critical threat to the environment no matter how it is transported.
The Columbia study goes on to say that “increasing the number of miles traveled also has the negative consequence of
increasing the risk of calamity en route . . . [and] because [trash by rail] shipments generally involve a large number
of massive units traveling at high speeds and in a single line, if an accident occurs it usually results in multiple
collisions causing severe damage.”

• Rather than encouraging economic “stimulus” as the applications suggest, trash by rail, we believe, will depress nearby
property values and contribute to the exodus of local businesses and drive out prospective new businesses that could otherwise
bring new jobs and services into the area.

• The County (Seneca) is supporting this private venture of the landfill-railroad but still has no solid waste plan.
We understand this to be against New York state policy if not law pursuant to section 27-0107 of the ECL (Environmental
Conservation Law).

• These projects are not “shovel ready,” as there are a lot of approvals that will be necessary, including the DEC permit
applications and SEQRA review for the rail depot at the landfill site.

• No community-type support letters are in these applications, which is because the community at large does not even know
about these applications because no prior community outreach and consultation was done.

• The TIGER grant mentions the landfill as being “environmentally sensitive.” However, even well managed and tightly
controlled landfills pose a significant threat of future contamination and are very unlikely candidates for redevelopment.
Or, as the EPA says: “. . . even the best liner and leachate collection system will ultimately fail. . .”

• According to the filed TIGER grant, the $17.5 million dollars of OUR tax dollars would create a total of only 12 permanent
jobs (3 at the landfill, and 9 at the railroad). This money would be much better spent and would create many more jobs
(on the order of 5X to 36X) if spent in the recycling/reuse/zero waste arena.

In fact, no amount of public money, we believe, should be used to subsidize a multi-national, multimillion-dollar private
business, as this money puts sustainable options such as source reduction, reuse, recycling and composting at a competitive
disadvantage and provides a disincentive to citizens to curb their waste production and increase their recycling efforts.

• The safety of residents, including children playing in adjacent backyards and park areas has not been taken into account,
we believe, given the proximity of the tracks to homes, schools, businesses, and places of worship.

• In Seneca County, citizens already share an undue burden for the disposal of the state’s waste with the importation of up
to 6,000 tons a day of out-of-county garbage—far more than any other county in New York State. Instead of trying to export
its garbage problem, this state should take steps to take care of it where it is generated.

In other words, NYS needs to follow its own priority directives of “to reduce, to reuse, and to recover,” and force other
municipalities to do the same (see ECL Title 1, Sec. 27-0106) rather than using public monies to export trash to distant
mega-landfills and acting as an “enabler” of the addiction to the burying-garbage-for-profit business model.
NYS should also follow the recommendations of the New York Product Stewardship Council to drive improvements in product
design that would reduce public costs and promote environmental sustainability.

I am therefore asking you, as my elected representative, to work to deny the NYS DOT grant and the SML rail spur and
rail yard/depot portion of the TIGER grant. I write on behalf of neighboring counties as well as Seneca County.

I would appreciate it if you would let me know of your action in this matter.

Sincerely,

(Name)

(repeat outside mailing address)

Thank you for helping us stop the trashing of the Finger Lakes!

Finger Lakes Zero Waste Coalition
P.O. Box 865
Geneva, New York 14456
(315) 412-0401
0waste@earthlink.net

http://www.FingerLakesZeroWaste.org

FingerLakes1.com
#1104216 --- 11/15/09 04:49 AM Re: ACT TODAY to stop rail transportation of garbage [Re: Roadtrip2nowhere]
Mountain Man Offline

Loc: out there
I said it a long time ago. While we are building our little, friendly, polite game to complain about SM, the mining., etc. these people play hard ball. They move quickly, are well prepared before they announce final plans, and attack on more than one front.

Wise up, we can't play nice anymore. Signing a letter should be required, but it should also be the equivalent of clearing our throats. We need to get a lot more aggressive in any way that is legal.

Is it wake up time yet Seneca County?

#1104235 --- 11/15/09 05:16 AM Re: ACT TODAY to stop rail transportation of garbage [Re: Roadtrip2nowhere]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
Originally Posted By: Roadtrip2nowhere

P.O. Box 865
Geneva, New York 14456
(315) 412-0401
0waste@earthlink.net
Do you want this at the bottom of the email if we are not a member of that group?

#1104245 --- 11/15/09 05:26 AM Re: ACT TODAY to stop rail transportation of garbage [Re: kyle585]
Roadtrip2nowhere Offline

Originally Posted By: kyle585

P.O. Box 865
Geneva, New York 14456
(315) 412-0401
0waste@earthlink.net
Do you want this at the bottom of the email if we are not a member of that group?

Kyle I didn't place this at the bottom, I chose to write my own little "special" letter..... ;)(y'all will come bail me out won't you?)

You don't need to be a member of any group to express your opinion re: SM. Any letter you might send would be greatly appreciated, your time is valuable. \:\)

#1104250 --- 11/15/09 05:29 AM Re: ACT TODAY to stop rail transportation of garbage [Re: Mountain Man]
Roadtrip2nowhere Offline

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
I said it a long time ago. While we are building our little, friendly, polite game to complain about SM, the mining., etc. these people play hard ball. They move quickly, are well prepared before they announce final plans, and attack on more than one front.

Wise up, we can't play nice anymore. Signing a letter should be required, but it should also be the equivalent of clearing our throats. We need to get a lot more aggressive in any way that is legal.

Is it wake up time yet Seneca County?

I would repecfully request that you go back a few pages in the anti mining thread, page 2 and read a reply that I made to a post you made basicaly calling Seneca County persons Hillbillies.....
Dial it back a few notches you can express your displeasure w/o soundling like someone that is about to go postal.

Edited by Roadtrip2nowhere (11/15/09 05:51 AM)

#1104269 --- 11/15/09 06:00 AM Re: ACT TODAY to stop rail transportation of garbage [Re: Roadtrip2nowhere]
Ghosts Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
I just emailed a revised, shorter letter. Just an FYI . . one of the email addresses "bounced" back:

Since there are two listed for his office, I'll assume Senator Schumer will get my letter.

#1104270 --- 11/15/09 06:03 AM Re: ACT TODAY to stop rail transportation of garbage [Re: Ghosts]
Roadtrip2nowhere Offline

Originally Posted By: Ghosts
I just emailed a revised, shorter letter. Just an FYI . . one of the email addresses "bounced" back:

Since there are two listed for his office, I'll assume Senator Schumer will get my letter.

Same thing here Ghosts, no worries it will go to the second address. Thanks for taking the time to write \:\)

#1104278 --- 11/15/09 06:15 AM Re: ACT TODAY to stop rail transportation of garbage [Re: Roadtrip2nowhere]
Mountain Man Offline

Roadtrip, a few of us will write, the rest will lay down and comply. It's sickening. I really find a great deal of contemptible behavior in SM and my fellow sleeping citizens.

I'll never go postal. I do everything within the the letter of the law. I don't understand our silence as a group of people.

What I remember saying, or the gist of it, was that try to take the land from hillbillies this way and they'll, at least fight back. We do nothing. I equate that with all kinds of negative inferences as to our collective intelligence.

I'll dial it back when we stand up.

#1104281 --- 11/15/09 06:26 AM Re: ACT TODAY to stop rail transportation of garbage [Re: Mountain Man]
Roadtrip2nowhere Offline

Roadtrip, a few of us will write, the rest will lay down and comply. It's sickening. I really find a great deal of contemptible behavior in SM and my fellow sleeping citizens.

I'll never go postal. I do everything within the the letter of the law. I don't understand our silence as a group of people.

What I remember saying, or the gist of it, was that try to take the land from hillbillies this way and they'll, at least fight back. We do nothing. I equate that with all kinds of negative inferences as to our collective intelligence.

I'll dial it back when we stand up.

Hey I'm all for fighing back too...it is maddening to trudge along with this uphill battle! I get frustrated that the common feeling around here is that SM is too big to fight...hey maybe they are but at least we can stand up voice our opinions, write letters and attend meetings. Not to much IMHO to ask of our fellow citizens here in Waterloo....
I have to tell you one factor for low turn out at the meetings is that the word that we exist just isn't getting out to the masses! Tell your neighbors tell your friends...take an hour of your time to come and lend a hand to this casue! If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem!

#1104285 --- 11/15/09 06:35 AM Re: ACT TODAY to stop rail transportation of garbage [Re: Roadtrip2nowhere]
Mountain Man Offline

Roadtrip, I have been to some, not all of the meetings. I talk about SM to everyone. Everyone I talk to states their absolute hatred and dismay at what is happening, and then no one does a single thing. It's just what Mr Gentilcore and friends are counting on and getting from us in Sleepy Hollow.

Nothing will make me happier than to finally see some public outrage. Now how do we take it a step further and get people to really get involved? I am at loss. I have been a foe of SM for nearly as long as they have been here. It just gets worse and worse, and the sheeple waiting for a free hot dog and mulch just do nothing.

I am you not against you, but how many years of docility does it take to wake up this area? How long does it take for those who care to understand that while we play our little organizational, every-other-week game, SM is devoted to ruining us on a 24-7 basis and is proving it. we need a lot of faster, more hard-hitting action.

#1104288 --- 11/15/09 06:38 AM Re: ACT TODAY to stop rail transportation of garbage [Re: Mountain Man]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Nothing will make me happier than to finally see some public outrage. Now how do we take it a step further and get people to really get involved? I am at loss.
Would Letters to the Editor of the Finger Lakes Times and the Reveille be a good start? I think the more we keep this topic active on here will help a lot too. I had not heard about this rail transportation of garbage and the fact that the Seneca County government was involved until Roadtrip posted it on here this morning.

#1104290 --- 11/15/09 06:40 AM Re: ACT TODAY to stop rail transportation of garbage [Re: Mountain Man]
Roadtrip2nowhere Offline

I don't know MM? How do we get people to listen and stand up? Maybe signs advertising meeting times....ads in the Penny Saver and Town Crier...the apathy is maddening I agree.

Send the emails, write the paper tell your friends just like you are doing already keep up the fight to bring the message to as many as we can....move froward and never quit!

#1104291 --- 11/15/09 06:43 AM Re: ACT TODAY to stop rail transportation of garbage [Re: kyle585]
Roadtrip2nowhere Offline

Exactly!
Hey I'd walk with signs at the top of Burgess if I thought it would help! With all the traffic going to Wal-Mart these days we'd be highly visiable!

#1104296 --- 11/15/09 07:12 AM Re: ACT TODAY to stop rail transportation of garbage [Re: Roadtrip2nowhere]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Exactly!
Hey I'd walk with signs at the top of Burgess if I thought it would help! With all the traffic going to Wal-Mart these days we'd be highly visiable!
Wear a gas mask when you walk. And the sign could say for Seneca Meadows stink, not for swine flu.

#1104312 --- 11/15/09 07:42 AM Re: ACT TODAY to stop rail transportation of garbage [Re: kyle585]
Mountain Man Offline

Mass letters to Nozzoilo and any other elected official stating that we will vote them out on this issue. We need a media calling out of Nozzolio and any others. Nozzolio needs live phone calls as well as a media spanking from concerned citizens. We are playing fair when everyone else is shaking hands and laughing behind the scenes.

The sad thing is that Sleeping Waterloo just re-elected Mooney, the trash loving jerk who openly supports the mining effort. See what I mean, sleeping heads lose.

We need a separate group, acting together, not publicly so that Gentilcore and clan can be telegraphed of every move.

Those wishing to do so should unite via private mail.

#1104332 --- 11/15/09 08:23 AM Re: ACT TODAY to stop rail transportation of garbage [Re: Roadtrip2nowhere]
slamminsam Offline

Loc: seneca county
Both grants mention displacement of trucks as their primary justification. However, page 5 of the TIGER application says that Seneca Meadows Landfill would only divert about 10% of truck traffic by using the railroad spur to the landfill. That means there would still be over 85,000 truckloads of garbage on the roads at their present daily and yearly tonnage rates. In other words, this would do almost nothing to reduce trash trucks on the road.

Putting garbage on trains will will not reduce truck traffic even though rail is a much cheaper method of moving materials than trucks will ever be. This is important because the trash that most likely will come in on the rails will not be the same garbage coming in now by truck. What if the rail cars are carring garbage from new SM customers who are too far away to service economically and rapidly by truck transport.

here is a segment from CSX web site speaking to the efficiency of hauling by rail vs over the road.
http://www.csx.com/?fuseaction=about.environment_sustainability

Moving freight by rail is three times more fuel-efficient than moving freight on the highway. Trains can move a ton of freight more than 436 miles on a single gallon of fuel. Efficient use of fuel means less greenhouse gas emissions for our nation. According to the EPA, freight railroads account for just 2% of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions from transportation sources and well under 1% of greenhouse gas emissions from all sources.

Lets say SM would like to handle some garbage generated by say sources in Illinois maybe Chicago. The cross Chicago trip to rail yards from urban Chicago is a cake walk. To do the same by truck would be possible but certailny a traffic nightmare. The trucks could certainaly haul out of such an urban center as Chicago but the cost of accomplishing that is 3X more than by rail and operationally a lot more difficult. With a solid rail connection to the mountains hauling from so far away makes economical sense and expands SM customer base. Furthermore if you are hauling garbage for long distances it is wise to do so in ways that offer the least amount of interaction between the garbage and the population while in transit. When was the last time you saw a train on the thruway or RT 81.

The trucks will still be bumper to bumper the trains will likely just be bringing in new garbage from new and exciting places most likely from the west.

slamminsam

Edited by slamminsam (11/15/09 08:28 AM)

#1104354 --- 11/15/09 08:58 AM Re: ACT TODAY to stop rail transportation of garbage [Re: slamminsam]
Driver8 Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
I just want to make sure I have this right.

The NIMBYs complained bitterly for years about trash being hauled on the public roads.

Now that a plan is proposed to alleviate that problem the NIMBYs are protesting that too.

#1104355 --- 11/15/09 09:06 AM Re: ACT TODAY to stop rail transportation of garbage [Re: Driver8]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Driver8

The NIMBYs complained bitterly for years about trash being hauled on the public roads.

Now that a plan is proposed to alleviate that problem the NIMBYs are protesting that too.

Quote:

Driver8, Did you read this above? Apparently not.

#1104356 --- 11/15/09 09:07 AM Re: ACT TODAY to stop rail transportation of garbage [Re: slamminsam]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: slamminsam
Putting garbage on trains will will not reduce truck traffic even though rail is a much cheaper method of moving materials than trucks will ever be. This is important because the trash that most likely will come in on the rails will not be the same garbage coming in now by truck. What if the rail cars are carring garbage from new SM customers who are too far away to service economically and rapidly by truck transport.

Driver 8, did you read this above?

#1104362 --- 11/15/09 09:14 AM Re: ACT TODAY to stop rail transportation of garbage [Re: Driver8]
threeputt Offline

Loc: Waterloo
Originally Posted By: Driver8

Yup. You ave that right and they are protesting that too for good reason. It is a sham. Its throwing crumbs to the masses while the kings are eating cake. Its time to put an end to it.

Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 ... 35 36 >