FingerLakes1.com
#1174293 --- 04/23/10 08:16 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: bluezone]
RedGreen Offline

Loc: Charlotte
Originally Posted By: bluezone
Originally Posted By: RedGreen
I guess I'm truly not ready is all.

better luck in the near future

Yup. I have like 2 cartons here. When they're gone I'm done.
It is affecting a portion of my life I cannot let it affect any longer.

#1174297 --- 04/23/10 08:20 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: RedGreen]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
have you tried the "electronic" ones yet?

#1174305 --- 04/23/10 08:25 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: Forest Girl]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Forest Girl
One year today!!!

updates from those quitting

#1174308 --- 04/23/10 08:26 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: bluezone]
RedGreen Offline

Yes. Bought a kit for $49. Gave me zero satisfaction. A total waste of money. And the more I read they really aren't any better health wise.

#1174310 --- 04/23/10 08:31 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: RedGreen]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

you have narrowed down the options for a better outcome next time

#1174315 --- 04/23/10 08:35 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: bluezone]
RedGreen Offline

This is something I HAVE to do. My true happiness is at stake. I WILL succeed this time.

#1174319 --- 04/23/10 08:41 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: RedGreen]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: RedGreen
I WILL succeed this time.

we hope that you do on many levels

#1174321 --- 04/23/10 08:42 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: bluezone]
RedGreen Offline

Thanks Pookie. \:\)

#1174322 --- 04/23/10 08:44 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: bluezone]
threeputt Offline

Loc: Waterloo
If I missed it, I'm sorry. Did you try Zyban(Welbutrin...same thing) with nicoret gum or lozenges? That and a lot of motivation did it for me 11 years ago August. Good luck!

#1174323 --- 04/23/10 08:45 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: RedGreen]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

if you have the need for a smoke try going for a walk around the block with the weather being nice

harder to quit in the winter

#1174409 --- 04/23/10 11:38 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: bluezone]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Originally Posted By: bluezone
add 10+ years to your life - quit smoking

Quit 2/7, and am using the ecig, which really worked for me. But, you have to be motivated.

Is nicotine unhealthy? Sure, but it's still better than smoking. FI, it is a vasoconstrictor, and does raise bp and cut blood and oxygen flow to the tissues. BUT, I'm no longer getting the double whammy of carbon monoxide with it, which will also lessen the blood's ability to carry oxygen. I'm also not getting any tar and particulate matter.

Does nicotine contribute to hypertension and heart disease? Sure. But, since it doesn't cause lung cancer or emphysemia, I figure that the ecig has to be healthier than smoking. Remember, it produces vapor, not smoke. I fell about 1000% better.

My wind is better, my nasal congestion is far less, my coughing has stopped completely, my sense of smell and taste have returned, and I, and my house, smell FAR better. Even my singing voice is returning. No, I'll never make Carnagie Hall, but at least I sound good to myself again, and even better to my SO, which is a joy in itself, as is the fact that she no longer has to put up with ashtray breath (nicotine is odorless). She's a real sweetie, and never complained, but I know she likes my kisses even more without the cig odor. Lol, she's sweet, but she's not stupid or a masochist. Ya listening, RG? I'm trying to motivate you....

I'll add that singing and, especially, humming are good for keeping the sinuses clear, too, and that clear sinuses can lessen snoring and sleep apnea, both of which are related to high blood pressure, which I've had for 3 years.

Everything's working together. I'm doing soft palate, jaw, and tongue exercises for the snoring, and they're helping the voice. I'm doing deep, slow breathing exercises for the bp, and it's helping me get my wind back faster. But it starts with not sucking in smoke.

I also know I'm doing less nicotine. Instead of lighting up when I arise, or get into the car, or after a meal, or whenever, and smoking the whole cig, I'll typically do a hit or 2 and put it in my pocket.

Two e cigs and a charger cost $60, and the batteries and heaters are still good. 50 ml of e liquid, for $35, started 2/7, is 3/4 gone. Contrast to the $35/wk I was spending on cigs.

Are there tiny traces of some of the 4,000 cig chemicals in the e liquid? Probably, but I figure there are WAY less of them, particularly as some of them are only produced when tobacco burns, whereas nic fluid is easy to make, as nic is water soluble.

So, while vaping isn't healthy, per se, my experience is that it's better for me than smoking. It won't help everybody quit; you got to be motivated, and it probably helps to be the type of smoker who is nicotine-dependent, rather than a social smoker. I've read that if you smoke 1st thing in the morning, if you smoke a strong brand, and if you find it hard to get through a social engagement without a cig, you're probably nicotine-dependent.

I feel much better right now, and I also feel that If (probably when) I feel like quitting vaping, it'll be somewhat easier than quitting smoking without the interim stage, because:

I'm already doing less nicotine, I won't have to deal with the (to many quitters) discomfitting feeling of my lungs being "empty" of physical smoke (they already are, and I've already gone through the phlegm-clearing recovery stage), and I've already given up a portion of the habit (lighter and ashtray), as well as the smoke taste.

I recommend it for anyone who wants to take at least SOME step toward better health, but isn't ready to go all the way. Half a loaf is truly better than none. For me, anyway, RG, it's working every bit as well as I'd hoped. I've gotten rid of at least some, and I think many, of the problems associated with smoking, and don't feel a bit deprived; I feel much better.

For those who can quit cold turkey, more power to ya. I once quit for 15 years, and was only able to do it with the aid of Nicorette, for the 1st 6 months. Part of it, for me, was allowing enough time to forget, partly, at least, what it was like to smoke, and I think I'm part way down that road again.

Lol, as M. Jagger said, "Whatever gets you through the night.".

Different strokes for different folks.

#1174627 --- 04/24/10 08:30 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: VM Smith]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

a step in the right direction
I think RG tried to stop during winter time and that is more difficult

#1174693 --- 04/24/10 01:21 PM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: bluezone]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

I've never thought about it, but it may be harder in winter. It's certainly harder to cut down by going outside to smoke your limited number of cigarettes, thus keeping the stink out of the house, which, in itself, makes one feel good, and accomplishes one of the goals of quitting.

One of the ways I cut down, prior to the 15 years in which I quit, was to not smoke at work. For months, I'd go 8.5 hours without one, and was able to say, "Okay, I can do it; I can make it another few hours without one!'.

Considering that one sleeps for 8 hours, then, even though I was smoking as usual outside of work, I was cutting my use by half. Back then, one could smoke at work, of course.

So, when I finally did quit, it was helpful to say to myself, "Okay, if I can go half the waking day, then I can go the whole day!".

Are you a former smoker, BZ?

#1175342 --- 04/26/10 07:08 PM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: VM Smith]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

Loc: between here and there
I quit 1/28 and I am a non smoker

#1175344 --- 04/26/10 07:17 PM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: reilley]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Someplace Else
Yay Good for you Reilley!

#1175351 --- 04/26/10 08:09 PM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
Crabby Offline

Loc: In the wind
23 years and 4 months ago, I smoked my last cigarette. I still (on rare occasion) reach for my shirt pocket. (That's where I carried my smokes.)

Reilly and RG, you can make it.

#1175401 --- 04/26/10 10:02 PM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: reilley]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: reilley

Good for you. I'm sure you enjoy not smoking every bit as much as I do. It feels like stopping hitting yourself on the head with a hammer must.

#1175625 --- 04/27/10 07:30 PM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: VM Smith]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

Loc: between here and there
Originally Posted By: VM Smith
Originally Posted By: reilley

Good for you. I'm sure you enjoy not smoking every bit as much as I do. It feels like stopping hitting yourself on the head with a hammer must.

yep. I mean, I smoked for 42 years. And enough was enough...
and thanks everyone.
and RG it will be your turn... I know you want it , you will be ready when its time. we know this.

#1175639 --- 04/27/10 08:58 PM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: reilley]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

I know how you feel; I smoked straights, and when I smoked cigars, I inhaled them, too. It was 45 yrs, minus the 15 I quit for, age 34-49. It's amazing how soon you start feeling better, though, and you'll continue to feel improvement for quite a few more months, although not as much as the 1st couple, when your lungs clear quite a lot of the crap.

Mucus, the 1st wonder of the world. Without it, you couldn't see, you couldn't breathe or clear your lungs or sinuses, you couldn't have sex, and your guts wouldn't work. LOL, don't leave home without it...

Page 20 of 22 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 >