FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#1096896 --- 10/30/09 11:37 PM Quitting smoking
RedGreen Offline

Loc: Charlotte
Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Save the women and children first. I have set my date November 7th.
I know I need to do this. I've known it for years. It's time.

I love smoking, the entire ritual. It's not just physical satisfaction. When I get up and drink coffee...... YUP
When I may have a beer..... YUP

Anyone want to join me?
C'mon you know you should. Anybody?

FingerLakes1.com
#1096902 --- 10/31/09 01:05 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: RedGreen]
*Sparkey* Offline

Loc: Baby Jail
Awesome Redgreen!!..I am on day 5 of Chantix,again!! The last time I used it which was a few months ago it gave me terrible stomach cramps..so,while at the doctor's the other day I mentioned that and he looked in my records to find that it was the higher dose that I was started on.he gave me a lower dose and so far so go!!..Good Luck!!!
BTW Nov 7th is a great day to quit..Jada and Missy and my brother share that birthday!!!!

#1096920 --- 10/31/09 02:20 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: *Sparkey*]
Senecamom Offline

Loc: On a journey......
That's awesome!! Good luck to both of you!!!I'm not ready yet, I want to be.....

#1096923 --- 10/31/09 02:28 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: Senecamom]
*Sparkey* Offline

if you're not ready you won't be successfull.

#1096953 --- 10/31/09 05:16 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: *Sparkey*]
Roadtrip2nowhere Offline

Loc: No where but here
Best Wishes and GOOD LUCK Y'ALL!!!!
You can do it!!!

#1097154 --- 10/31/09 11:17 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: *Sparkey*]
oops12 Offline

Loc: Absent
Good luck to both of you! I've taken Chantix a few times. The first time it made me sick, the second time not so much and the third time, not at all. I think I built an immunity to it or something. It sure does help fight the cravings, gave me wild dreams!

Just rememember, if you think you've got it kicked and think you can handle just one, don't do it!

Edited by oops12 (10/31/09 11:20 AM)

#1097166 --- 10/31/09 11:52 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: Roadtrip2nowhere]
groucho Offline

Redgreen and Sparkey:

I quit smoking with the help of Chantix, in August, just over two years ago. I used lower than the recommended dose, also, and stayed on the lower dose for about 4 months. I only bought 2 regular (full strength) prescriptions for the 4 months & split the pills.

I smoked for 40 years, and I too, really enjoyed smoking and started the Chantix kind of half-heartedly, figuring it wouldn't be enough to help me, like the rest of the stuff on the market. The Chantix really curbed the urge, but I never set a quit date. After being on the med for about a week, I just cut back 2 cigarettes a day (starting from a pack). On my last day I allowed myself one cigarette.

I still would like to have a cigarette, but the intense craving is gone. My Dad, after having quit more than 40 years before he passed away, said he still missed them. So, expect to miss them.

The only way they could make Chantix work any better is to put a little man in the box that would jump out and yank out any cigarette you stuck in your mouth. But when your urge is curbed, you'll find that it's much easier to quit than you think.

I didn't believe anything would get me to quit. I just realized Chantix really cut the urge, and that if I didn't really attempt to quit, it was simply because I was refusing to quit. The cigarettes didn't taste good now, and I didn't get any "high" off them.

If I could do it, you CAN do it. I breath better now, and I don't sound (or feel) like I'm going to hack up a lung in the morning. I also have reduced my allergy problems, and also have been able to reduce the strength of my blood pressure medication. I went from a beta-blocker to just a water pill (diuretic) now.

Good luck to you both.

#1097183 --- 10/31/09 12:12 PM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: groucho]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Seneca Falls
Good luck!

#1100500 --- 11/07/09 06:20 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: RedGreen]
*Sparkey* Offline

Originally Posted By: RedGreen
Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Save the women and children first. I have set my date November 7th.

I love smoking, the entire ritual. It's not just physical satisfaction. When I get up and drink coffee...... YUP

Anyone want to join me?

Today's the day..are you ready??

#1100829 --- 11/08/09 02:32 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: *Sparkey*]
AnneSmile Offline

Loc: Amusement
Shout out to all who are and have quit!!!

Some things to look forward too, food will taste so much better, you can breathe better and no hacking in the mornings \:\)

Oh and just think of all the money you can spend on me for Christmas, excuse me, I mean your loved ones

#1100861 --- 11/08/09 03:30 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: AnneSmile]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
I quit from 1984 to 1999. Does that count?

I've still got some money left, but my family's pretty much dead. Mind if I spend some money on you?

#1100866 --- 11/08/09 03:35 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: VM Smith]
AnneSmile Offline

Loc: Amusement
Mind!?!?!? I encourage it

#1101301 --- 11/09/09 04:28 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: *Sparkey*]
RedGreen Offline

Originally Posted By: *Sparkey*

Anyone want to join me?

No. \:\(
I just bought a carton last night at Lakeside before work. I admit I can't do it on my own. I truly like smoking.

We play cards together a lot on Friday and Saturday nights. If she lights one I light one, it just smells soooo good. I am in no way blaming her for my failure don't read anything into it. Plus I have my moments when say I first get up I can be pretty grumpy, it would get ugly if I wasn't smoking lol.
I guess I'm truly not ready is all.

#1101376 --- 11/09/09 06:04 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: RedGreen]
Scottie2Hottie Offline
Gold Member

Loc: aka Brightside
Originally Posted By: *Sparkey*

Anyone want to join me?

No. \:\(
I just bought a carton last night at Lakeside before work. I admit I can't do it on my own. I truly like smoking.

We play cards together a lot on Friday and Saturday nights. If she lights one I light one, it just smells soooo good. I am in no way blaming her for my failure don't read anything into it. Plus I have my moments when say I first get up I can be pretty grumpy, it would get ugly if I wasn't smoking lol.
I guess I'm truly not ready is all.

So not only are you increasing everyones Insurance costs by smoking but you are supporting the Native American and their Tax Free ways as well!!??!!??!!

Disclaimer:

Bluezone and Kyle, my remark was meant as a J O K E and NOT an opportunity for you to hijack another thread or beat a dead horse in another thread!

#1101623 --- 11/09/09 05:32 PM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: Scottie2Hottie]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: inside your head & under your ...
I was really rooting for you RG. I hoped that you could do it.

I smoked a long time ago. Loved that first smoke with a cup of Joe in the morning.....still crave it once in a while...

Unless you can get all around you to quit it is 100 times harder to keep the will......

Try smoking less, that is a win too....

#1101632 --- 11/09/09 06:08 PM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Seneca Falls,NY,
Like Sparky says, if you are not ready, why bother. Some day you will realize that a stupid little cigarette has control over you. How does that make you feel?

#1101700 --- 11/10/09 02:57 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: sassyone]
Scottie2Hottie Offline
Gold Member

Loc: aka Brightside
Originally Posted By: sassyone
Like Sparky says, if you are not ready, why bother. Some day you will realize that a stupid little cigarette has control over you. How does that make you feel?

I so agree......
I am a true anarchist and HATE being controlled and told what to do...yet I allow a tiny *cancer stick* to control me and tell me what to do 50-60 times a day!

#1101740 --- 11/10/09 05:29 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
RedGreen Offline

Originally Posted By: Z Genius Lusifer
I was really rooting for you RG. I hoped that you could do it.

I smoked a long time ago. Loved that first smoke with a cup of Joe in the morning.....still crave it once in a while...

Unless you can get all around you to quit it is 100 times harder to keep the will......

Try smoking less, that is a win too....

Thanks a lot pal I sincerely appreciate the well wishes. I am taking your advice to heart and will try to cut back slowly but surely. I know I can't go cold turkey.

#1101776 --- 11/10/09 06:38 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: Scottie2Hottie]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Scottie2Hottie

Bluezone and Kyle, my remark was meant as a J O K E and NOT an opportunity for you to hijack another thread or beat a dead horse in another thread!

Would having to pay a higher cig cost not discourage smoking?

#1101778 --- 11/10/09 06:41 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: Scottie2Hottie]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Scottie2Hottie
We play cards together a lot on Friday and Saturday nights. If she lights one I light one, it just smells soooo good.

try different activities besides cards ;\)

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 ... 21 22 >