FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1061456 --- 08/07/09 09:28 PM O say it ain't so ..Billy and Coke?
reilley Offline
Silver Member

Loc: between here and there
Autopsy: Cocaine contributed to Billy Mays' death

TAMPA, Fla. – An autopsy report shows that cocaine use contributed to the heart disease that suddenly killed TV pitchman Billy Mays in June, officials announced Friday.

The Hillsborough County medical examiner's office previously determined that the bearded, boisterous TV spokesman had a heart attack in his sleep. His wife found him unresponsive in bed in their Tampa condo June 28.

Mays was a pop-culture fixture with his energetic commercials pitching gadgets and cleaning products like Orange Glo and OxiClean.

While heart disease was the primary cause of death, a report released Friday by the medical examiner listed cocaine as a "contributory cause of death."

The medical examiner "concluded that cocaine use caused or contributed to the development of his heart disease, and thereby contributed to his death," the office said in a press release.

The office said Mays last used cocaine in the few days before his death but was not under the influence of the drug when he died. Hillsborough County spokeswoman Lori Hudson said nothing in the toxicology report indicated the frequency of Mays' cocaine use.

Cocaine can raise the arterial blood pressure, directly cause thickening of the left wall of the ventricle and accelerate the formation of atherosclerosis in the coronary arteries, the release said.

The toxicology tests also showed therapeutic amounts of painkillers hydrocodone, oxycodone and tramadol, as well as anti-anxiety drugs alprazolam and diazepam. Mays had suffered hip problems and was scheduled for hip-replacement surgery the day after he was found dead.

The McKees Rocks, Pa., native developed his style demonstrating knives, mops and other "As Seen on TV" gadgets on Atlantic City's boardwalk. For years he worked as a hired gun on the state fair and home show circuits, attracting crowds with his booming voice and genial manner.

He got his start on TV on the Home Shopping Network and then branched out into commercials and infomercials. He developed such a strong following that he became the subject of a reality TV series, Discovery Channel's "Pitchmen."

FingerLakes1.com
#1061469 --- 08/07/09 10:20 PM Re: O say it ain't so ..Billy and Coke? [Re: reilley]
Ovidian Offline
Silver Member

Loc: gone
This serves no purpose. The man is dead. I'am very skeptical of these so called experts claiming this or that. It's nothing more than pure speculation, guessing if you will. In very poor taste I might add.

#1061474 --- 08/07/09 10:50 PM Re: O say it ain't so ..Billy and Coke? [Re: Ovidian]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Rochester
Would it suprise me if he used coke? Not at all. Does it matter now? Not at all.

#1061507 --- 08/08/09 01:05 AM Re: O say it ain't so ..Billy and Coke? [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
Zorn Offline

Loc: ny
Source? please post a link to your source, how can I know if this is reliable?

#1061513 --- 08/08/09 01:28 AM Re: O say it ain't so ..Billy and Coke? [Re: Zorn]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

It was on CNN, along with other major news outlets. In addition to coke, he had a couple different prescription pain medicines and anti-depressants in his blood stream.

#1061515 --- 08/08/09 01:57 AM Re: O say it ain't so ..Billy and Coke? [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
Jeff Peters Offline

Loc: Geneva
Yet another reason to question the need for all of these 24/7 news (?) networks.

#1061526 --- 08/08/09 03:17 AM Re: O say it ain't so ..Billy and Coke? [Re: Jeff Peters]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

It is news and people thrive and the sordid details.

#1061535 --- 08/08/09 03:47 AM Re: O say it ain't so ..Billy and Coke? [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
Al Kida Offline

Originally Posted By: TRD_Tacoma
It was on CNN, along with other major news outlets. In addition to coke, he had a couple different prescription pain medicines and anti-depressants in his blood stream.

Yes!!!

But they all very very white and smell like orange!!!

#1061541 --- 08/08/09 04:52 AM Re: O say it ain't so ..Billy and Coke? [Re: Ovidian]
SU2011 Offline

Loc: been there
Why is this in poor taste? Because everyone thought so highly of him? It's just reporting the facts. And when did autopsy reports become "pure speculation"?

Bozone ( n.)The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating.

#1061547 --- 08/08/09 05:21 AM Re: O say it ain't so ..Billy and Coke? [Re: SU2011]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
"Because everyone thought so highly of him?"

Everyone? I couldn't stand him.

#1061548 --- 08/08/09 05:28 AM Re: O say it ain't so ..Billy and Coke? [Re: Ovidian]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Ovidian
This serves no purpose. The man is dead. I'am very skeptical of these so called experts claiming this or that. It's nothing more than pure speculation, guessing if you will. In very poor taste I might add.

"The medical examiner "concluded that cocaine use caused or contributed to the development of his heart disease, and thereby contributed to his death," the office said in a press release.

The office said Mays last used cocaine in the few days before his death"

Are you saying that coke use can't be tested for, or are you claiming that they didn't do the test, and are lying about having done so?

#1061553 --- 08/08/09 06:35 AM Re: O say it ain't so ..Billy and Coke? [Re: VM Smith]
Senecamom Offline

Loc: On a journey......
Seriously?? The man obviously was on something to make those commercials...imho.

#1061558 --- 08/08/09 06:49 AM Re: O say it ain't so ..Billy and Coke? [Re: Senecamom]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Of course he was. Who is disputing that? Put down your drink, and read my post again.

Edited by VM Smith (08/08/09 06:50 AM)

#1061648 --- 08/08/09 12:26 PM Re: O say it ain't so ..Billy and Coke? [Re: VM Smith]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
VM, I don't think senecamom was actually challenging your post, only responding in general to the thread.

#1061671 --- 08/08/09 02:28 PM Re: O say it ain't so ..Billy and Coke? [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Code Red Offline

Loc: Out of my mind....
My grandfather taught me that putting a little coke on rusted nuts would help loosen them. Maybe he had physical problems we didn't know about ?

Sorry Billy couldn't help myself "yanking your yak-yak".

#1062125 --- 08/09/09 08:51 PM Re: O say it ain't so ..Billy and Coke? [Re: Zorn]
Cinnamon Offline

Loc: Central NY
Originally Posted By: Zorn
Source? please post a link to your source, how can I know if this is reliable?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090807/ap_on_en_tv/us_billy_mays