#1021345 - 05/08/09 05:55 PM Re: Remember Waterloo Speedway? [Re: timfromcal]
Hotnickle Offline

Loc: NC - Glad to have left G Town ...
Steve Paine #1

FingerLakes1.com
#1021484 - 05/08/09 10:42 PM Re: Remember Waterloo Speedway? [Re: Hotnickle]
racefan73 Offline

Loc: seneca-cayuga
I was not fortunate enough to witness the exciting racing action at Waterloo. The closest thing I ever got to seeing racing at Waterloo was when they had those reunion races back in the mid 90's. I have heard many stories of the races from my father and grandfather while growing up. I've seen Bobby Cain race, although it was Sprint Cars at Weedsport, they called him the Quaker Shaker. I got to meet him once years ago. Thank you to those of you who have shared your memories here in this thread.

Edited by racefan73 (05/08/09 10:43 PM)

#1021517 - 05/09/09 12:46 AM Re: Remember Waterloo Speedway? [Re: moom315]
Santa_Cruzer Offline

Loc: Westside
Originally Posted By: moom315
My favorite Driver/Car was Wee Willie Allen!! Do any of you remember a flagman named Dick Westfall? We had a car at Waterloo which was driven by Dick Treat.(23 car) My Dad just built them and Dick raced it.Many Great memories.My son now races at Canandaigua and let me tell you, its nothing like the old days!!!I do have some old pics, I will have to dig them out and share with you all!!I was there when Howard conkey got hurt and do any of you remember when that poor dog found its way onto the track during a race??My Mom covered my eyes!LOL I really miss those days and Waterloo racin.

The dog!!
I remember the race where a dog wandered onto the track just off turn 4 on the front stretch. Think he came in under the gate. The poor dog was confused and just seemed to stay in the middle of the track forever! Drivers somehow avoided it without incident. Surprised anyone else remembered!! Wow. Those were the days. Couldn't wait for Saturday evenings to come around during summertime.

LONG LIVE AARON COMETBUS!
http://www.freakradio.org
http://www.canorml.org

#1021521 - 05/09/09 01:00 AM Re: Remember Waterloo Speedway? [Re: Santa_Cruzer]
Santa_Cruzer Offline

Does anyone remember whose car (think it was a modified) bounceded off the hub rail and landed halfway up fence just in front of the main bleachers? Mid 1960's. No injuries, driver just sat in his car for the hour it took perplexed track fire crew to get them down.

#1021524 - 05/09/09 01:37 AM Re: Remember Waterloo Speedway? [Re: ]
justme1161 Offline

Loc: Just Here
Originally Posted By: Festus!
Was that the night Lapp and Conkey were injured? Wasn't there also a fatality that night?

Yes, that was the night. Howard Conkey has pasted years ago. He ended up with one leg shorter then the other and couldn't move his knee, in time really hurt his back. He never gave up on the sport. When I was too young to get a "real" job, I would help in the pits at the races that he had built cars for. I worked the truck, for parts that the drivers needed or the cam (gas) they used to race. I learned a lot from him and I take my mother back every year for the old timers race they have there. He was my Mother's Brother, my Uncle. He is missed by his family.

Festus! Thank You for thinking of him too.

#1021593 - 05/09/09 07:25 AM Re: Remember Waterloo Speedway? [Re: justme1161]
Endoftheroad Offline

Loc: On the road
My dad drove the number 11 back in the fifties. He used to talk about the wall of trees on the back stretch.

#1021656 - 05/09/09 11:37 AM Re: Remember Waterloo Speedway? [Re: timfromcal]
babyblueyes Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY, US
My Mom said Bucky Dew did drive for someone else as well but she couldn't remember who it was...now we now. \:\) My Grandpa (and the family) use to tell us stories from his racing days. Many fond memories of those days. Grandpa use to take me to races all over when I was little...and I got the racing bug. Back in the 80's my Grandparents had picnic/reunion for those who raced. What a sight to see all of them gathered sharing stories and laughing about all the crazy things that happened back then. I'll see if I can find the pictures from the reunion. Wee Willie is still a very close family friend.

#1021830 - 05/09/09 09:48 PM Re: Remember Waterloo Speedway? [Re: babyblueyes]
racefan73 Offline

Where is Wee Willie now? My grandfather introduced me to him years ago when he was driving Pace Car at Weedsport. I don't think he is driving it anymore.

#1021838 - 05/09/09 10:19 PM Re: Remember Waterloo Speedway? [Re: racefan73]
babyblueyes Offline

He lives in Auburn. I don't believe he's driving anymore but he has gone to races around the area where he is recoginzed for his years of racing.

#1022038 - 05/10/09 10:52 AM Re: Remember Waterloo Speedway? [Re: babyblueyes]
County Line Offline

Loc: Junius
Wee Willie, without a doubt, was one of the most popular drivers thatever raced at Maple Grove. Does anyone remember his signature handstands he did when his car was involved in a mishap, or disabled on the racetrack? He was invited to last years' reunion that the Midstate Vintage Stock Car Club held at the Fair, but unfortunately, he was in Florida at the time and could not be there...hopefully, he will be able to attend this years' event. He had some furious battles, on the track, with Screamin' Sammy Reakes, Johnny McArdell, and Bobby Cain, to name a few. The "Quaker Shaker", Bobby Cain, told me at last years' reunion, that he still has his sprint car, and actually brings it out on ocassion, and I believe he said he was 76 years old...he is a character, and I think he could be called the "Will Cagle of the 50's & 60's"...as he took on all comers and didn't care what anyone thought as he did his way regardless...you either loved him or hated him, but everyone respected him because of his talent behind the wheel of a race car.
An earlier post mentioned the row of trees that lined the backstretch at Waterloo...they called this "Transmission Alley", and there were some pretty bad wrecks through the years there. Gale McArdell lost his life in a back stretch wreck, when a tire came through the roof of his race car...Screamin' Sammy took a trip into the trees one night when a rival fan thought it might be a good idea to chunk an apple at him and hit him right in the head while he was running at full speed...Wild Bill Updike flipped down the backstretch several times one night and escaped unscathed...I remember seeing a picture of Larry Nye doing the same thing.
All these names are synonomous with setting the standard for dirt track racing in New York State and throughout the Northeast, and they all raced at Waterloo, which was advertised as the fastest 1/2 mile track in the state...I've said it before, and I'll say it again...there is a DIRT Hall of Fame at the Cayuga Fairgrounds Speedway, but I think there should be a Hall of Fame specifically for Waterloo Speedway, even if it was just opened during fair week..there is enough drivers, history, and fans still around to support this. What do you think?

#1022043 - 05/10/09 11:09 AM Re: Remember Waterloo Speedway? [Re: County Line]
Santa_Cruzer Offline

Originally Posted By: County Line
Wee Willie, without a doubt, was one of the most popular drivers thatever raced at Maple Grove. Does anyone remember his signature handstands he did when his car was involved in a mishap, or disabled on the racetrack? He was invited to last years' reunion that the Midstate Vintage Stock Car Club held at the Fair, but unfortunately, he was in Florida at the time and could not be there...hopefully, he will be able to attend this years' event. He had some furious battles, on the track, with Screamin' Sammy Reakes, Johnny McArdell, and Bobby Cain, to name a few. The "Quaker Shaker", Bobby Cain, told me at last years' reunion, that he still has his sprint car, and actually brings it out on ocassion, and I believe he said he was 76 years old...he is a character, and I think he could be called the "Will Cagle of the 50's & 60's"...as he took on all comers and didn't care what anyone thought as he did his way regardless...you either loved him or hated him, but everyone respected him because of his talent behind the wheel of a race car.
An earlier post mentioned the row of trees that lined the backstretch at Waterloo...they called this "Transmission Alley", and there were some pretty bad wrecks through the years there. Gale McArdell lost his life in a back stretch wreck, when a tire came through the roof of his race car...Screamin' Sammy took a trip into the trees one night when a rival fan thought it might be a good idea to chunk an apple at him and hit him right in the head while he was running at full speed...Wild Bill Updike flipped down the backstretch several times one night and escaped unscathed...I remember seeing a picture of Larry Nye doing the same thing.
All these names are synonomous with setting the standard for dirt track racing in New York State and throughout the Northeast, and they all raced at Waterloo, which was advertised as the fastest 1/2 mile track in the state...I've said it before, and I'll say it again...there is a DIRT Hall of Fame at the Cayuga Fairgrounds Speedway, but I think there should be a Hall of Fame specifically for Waterloo Speedway, even if it was just opened during fair week..there is enough drivers, history, and fans still around to support this. What do you think?

What a great idea. Drivers throughout the northest and Canada were attracted to Maple Grove's challenging clay tri-oval decades before DIRT was established. Fans packed the stands each and every Saturday to cheer on their favorites.
Your suggestion could be brought up at the next reunion maybe? How about a Waterloo Stock Car Racing Association Alumni/Fan list serve or site?

#1022076 - 05/10/09 12:06 PM Re: Remember Waterloo Speedway? [Re: Santa_Cruzer]
ponyk Offline

Loc: upstate
willie lives in auburn...sammy reaks lives in illinois..drove sprinters for a couple of years..dick westfall moved south were he used to flag at some track down there..i really miss the allstars came over to race...pa. nj. ny. etc and oh by the way waterloo used to be the fastest 1/2 mile on the east coast

#1022095 - 05/10/09 12:45 PM Re: Remember Waterloo Speedway? [Re: ponyk]
racefan73 Offline

It is unfortunate that a few had to complain until the track was closed. People don't realize the revenue that a racetrack can bring to a small town. Go over to Weedsport, you see it there. Haulers at a resturant, the Big M, a motel or at one of the gas stations, as well as fans. I don't ever recall hearing people gripe about the noise or dust over there. These guys have to eat, buy gas, some might even stay the night in a motel. Not to mention if there was some last minute item that need to go shopping for. Add in the fans for the same reasons and the income generated could add up. I know people will say "But the noise and the dust". Well, you have the landfill that most have to smell on a daily basis. What's a little noise and dust for a few hours versus the smell of the landfill on a daily basis?

#1022107 - 05/10/09 01:50 PM Re: Remember Waterloo Speedway? [Re: racefan73]
Gold Member

#1022132 - 05/10/09 03:57 PM Re: Remember Waterloo Speedway? [Re: County Line]
babyblueyes Offline

I think the Hall of Fame for Waterloo is an excellent idea! I know my family will be more than happy to either help out or contribute pictures, etc. Keep us posted!

#1022149 - 05/10/09 04:57 PM Re: Remember Waterloo Speedway? [Re: babyblueyes]
County Line Offline

Loc: Junius
Paul Vasello, who is heading up this years' reunion at the fairgrounds, says he would be willing to assist with this venture of a Maple Grove Speedway Hall of Fame, and I am sure I can get him to bring up the topic on the night of the reunion just to see how much interest there is to support such an idea. I'm thinking many people from the area have pictures and memorabilia that they would willing to display, and Paul had previously told me that he thinks he can get the fair board to let us use one of the buildings, or give us some room somewhere to set this up. If anyone is interested in helping, or have something they would like to display, please send me an email and we'll see where this might take us. I grew up at Maple Grove Speedway and I would love to see this happen.

#1022397 - 05/11/09 07:52 AM Re: Remember Waterloo Speedway? [Re: Santa_Cruzer]
moom315 Offline

Loc: ny
That would be great.Keep us posted on when and where??

#1022405 - 05/11/09 08:28 AM Re: Remember Waterloo Speedway? [Re: moom315]
Endoftheroad Offline

Loc: On the road
Some of the names mentioned here also raced at Boyces racetrack in Ovid way back when.

#1022618 - 05/11/09 08:19 PM Re: Remember Waterloo Speedway? [Re: convince me]
angela Offline

Loc: usa
the good old days- why did they close it?

#1022697 - 05/11/09 11:48 PM Re: Remember Waterloo Speedway? [Re: angela]
Code Red Offline

Loc: Out of my mind....
Out on hecker road is "The old school bus" of Chuck Hefferon. My dad drove it for a while after comming home from the army. Since I guess quite a few drivin it including Rollie Velt. Still has the old 216 flat head of the day. Dad said they made the roll bar out of an old drive shaft. Had three wheel hand brakes as well.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >