"Nothing illegal, but a little comfortable."

Posted by: dummy2

"Nothing illegal, but a little comfortable." - 08/18/11 07:00 PM

Well, Mr Church. You need to seriously rethink that. According to the state audit the funds given to the fire department FROM the village can be spent on some things the firemen state. BUT THAT IS AFTER THEY AGREE AS A DEPARTMENT TO SPEND THE MONEY DURING A REGULARLY SCHEDULED MONTHLY MEETING. That includes receipts and an accounting by the treasurer where the money went. You are correct they might not have stole money from the village coffers (yet to be determined) but they did steal it from the department itself. As a fireman you know this. This is such an easy case of larceny it is laughable. If any fireman wants to quit because people are calling them a thief then let them. Davidson should be Mayor. Give it up to him.

Church states, "They could take the money away but there would be little incentive then for the firefighters to agree to cover those outlying towns."
Guess what Mayor. They are not even using that money for expenses to cover outlying towns. They are paying themselves with it and buying alcohol.
Posted by: Love PY

Re: "Nothing illegal, but a little comfortable." - 08/18/11 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: dummy2
Well, Mr Church. You need to seriously rethink that. According to the state audit the funds given to the fire department FROM the village can be spent on some things the firemen state. BUT THAT IS AFTER THEY AGREE AS A DEPARTMENT TO SPEND THE MONEY DURING A REGULARLY SCHEDULED MONTHLY MEETING. That includes receipts and an accounting by the treasurer where the money went. You are correct they might not have stole money from the village coffers (yet to be determined) but they did steal it from the department itself. As a fireman you know this. This is such an easy case of larceny it is laughable. If any fireman wants to quit because people are calling them a thief then let them. Davidson should be Mayor. Give it up to him.

Church states, "They could take the money away but there would be little incentive then for the firefighters to agree to cover those outlying towns."
Guess what Mayor. They are not even using that money for expenses to cover outlying towns. They are paying themselves with it and buying alcohol.
http://www.whec.com/iteam/stories/S2246169.shtml?cat=566
Posted by: ladyfarmer

Re: "Nothing illegal, but a little comfortable." - 08/18/11 08:15 PM

I live in one of the outlying towns,and help pay some of the money they wasted. That's maybe why I can't afford surf 'n' turf, shrimp cocktail and massages.
Posted by: ii Extinguish

Re: "Nothing illegal, but a little comfortable." - 08/18/11 08:36 PM

I volunteer for a reason. Not to be paid! It's pretty simple. I don't need a retirement offering from a volunteer agency to keep me around!

Re: "Nothing illegal, but a little comfortable." - 08/18/11 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: ii Extinguish
I volunteer for a reason. Not to be paid! It's pretty simple. I don't need a retirement offering from a volunteer agency to keep me around!

The Mayor's excuses are running out.

Re: "Nothing illegal, but a little comfortable." - 08/18/11 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: ii Extinguish

The LOSAP program is a good one. Just manage it correctly and tally the points for people who EARNED them.

Re: "Nothing illegal, but a little comfortable." - 08/18/11 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: ladyfarmer
I live in one of the outlying towns,and help pay some of the money they wasted. That's maybe why I can't afford surf 'n' turf, shrimp cocktail and massages.

Potter gave up paying Penn Yan for this exact reason. The money given was play money.

Re: "Nothing illegal, but a little comfortable." - 08/19/11 07:28 AM

And Mr. Church looked quite comfortable in his posh mayoral office, don't you think?
Posted by: S Culver

Re: "Nothing illegal, but a little comfortable." - 08/19/11 08:20 AM

I also Volunteer for a reason, I was in the Branchport Keuka Park Fire Dept for a couple of years with no LOSAP before i moved into the Penn Yan Fire Dept district and losap is given to us when we join, so dont tell me you wouldn't take it if offered, its a really nice program

Re: "Nothing illegal, but a little comfortable." - 08/19/11 08:50 AM

I don't think the issue is whether or not someone should benefit from LOSAP; rather, it's an issue of accountability. If everything is aboveboard, why are the expenses not properly documented? Can I turn in an insurance claim without a proper estimte to back it up-I think not. Can I tell the IRS that I spent X on job-related expenses without a handful of receipts and not get audited - not in this lifetime.
Posted by: S Culver

Re: "Nothing illegal, but a little comfortable." - 08/19/11 09:12 AM

Mam, i was just commenting about LOSAP, I Know nothing about the expenses in the fire dept and don't care too. All i know is that when my pager goes off we are needed for some emergency and i go.
Posted by: yatesgirl

Re: "Nothing illegal, but a little comfortable." - 08/19/11 09:53 AM

Originally Posted By: S Culver
Mam, i was just commenting about LOSAP, I Know nothing about the expenses in the fire dept and don't care too. All i know is that when my pager goes off we are needed for some emergency and i go.
I thank you for your serve to your community.

You are correct that LOSAP is a very good program, but when the people managing this program, do not follow the law or try to game the system, they do a big disservice to those fireman who have qualified by spending hours on training course , taking part in drills, attending meeting and responding to calls.
Posted by: McLovin'

Re: "Nothing illegal, but a little comfortable." - 08/19/11 10:18 AM

I believe that the rest of the firefighters are like Mr. Culver, wanting to serve the community, including the Chiefs!

The LOSAP problem seems to be pointed to the Village Board. They were suppose to certify the lists--to review the points and make sure the correct records are kept. They didn't do their job from Day One. It seems that they approved the program without know much about it. If the problem with the points had been realized in the first year of the program, it would have been corrected. Now 10 years later it is quite a mess.

Re: "Nothing illegal, but a little comfortable." - 08/19/11 10:49 AM

And I am grateful for your, and all the volunteers', service. However, accountability still needs to be addressed by all concerned.
Posted by: PY tax Payer

Re: "Nothing illegal, but a little comfortable." - 08/20/11 09:20 AM

I agree with S Culver, I have been places that you can hear their pagers go off and they drop everything that are doing and run for there cars or trucks. How many people now days are devoted to doing what they do. They can be in Church or with there family, they stop and then go.
Yes, I agree the heads to be are good at the emergency but they need to follow the rules in the office on what how to manage the money's etc.
Posted by: Plain Dark Sedan

Re: "Nothing illegal, but a little comfortable." - 08/21/11 07:35 PM

This reminds me of a topic I wanted to address some time ago, actually...particularly in the area of responsibility.

While leading my grandchildren through the maze of people at a Firemens' Parade, we threaded our way past more than one fire department personnel swilling beer. Beer cups were left on the ground here and there as well. Then these people climbed aboard fire engines and other vehicles, and headed on down the street. Doesn't seem to me a very good example to set.

On another occasion, it was mentioned that we didn't have the Firemens Carnival anymore because there wasn't "enough" profit made. Am I wrong in thinking that if we broke even, we did good, considering the good will generated for the fire department, and the sense of community shared among the citizens? Much less the good of the activities for the children?

Even so, at this event, there are more than enough intoxicated firemen to go around-so I'm figuring the beer budget hasn't been damaged, certainly.
Posted by: C.I.Brown

Re: "Nothing illegal, but a little comfortable." - 08/22/11 09:50 AM

You have raised some good issues. Maybe channel 10 should have been at the parade filming all the beer drinking that went on, and I am going to go out on a limb here, at the taxpayer's expense. If the fire department wants to be shown in a better light, then do away with the beer drinking especailly in public, and be better role models especially for the kids.

I would love to see the return of their carnival, but apparently money is a motivator. I was particularly distressed at the comment from channel news 10 that in order for the fire department to serve the outlying towns, they need money as an incentive. Shouldn't it all be one big fire district?
Posted by: McLovin'

Re: "Nothing illegal, but a little comfortable." - 08/22/11 11:59 AM

Just a reminder that the PY Fireman's Parade and Carnival will be this week end. The carnival is returning after being off for a few years.

Re: "Nothing illegal, but a little comfortable." - 08/22/11 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: C.I.Brown
You have raised some good issues. Maybe channel 10 should have been at the parade filming all the beer drinking that went on, and I am going to go out on a limb here, at the taxpayer's expense. If the fire department wants to be shown in a better light, then do away with the beer drinking especailly in public, and be better role models especially for the kids.

I would love to see the return of their carnival, but apparently money is a motivator. I was particularly distressed at the comment from channel news 10 that in order for the fire department to serve the outlying towns, they need money as an incentive. Shouldn't it all be one big fire district?

They should get paid to cover outlying parts of townships. No doubt about that. The problem is that the village of Penn Yan just lets them use it as play money. Remember "a little comfortable." No it should not be one big fire district just because they are contracted to cover it. They cover some areas because they can get there faster and it just makes sense.