Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/23/10 01:18 PM

Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin

http://www.chronicle-express.com/news/po...-bags-of-herion

By Mike Maslanik
GateHouse News Service
Posted Dec 22, 2010 @ 09:41 AM
Last update Dec 22, 2010 @ 03:11 PM

Victor, N.Y.

State troopers charged a Yates County man with drug possession Tuesday after he was found with 76 bags of heroin after a traffic stop.

Troopers charged Andrew R. VanHorn, 22, of Dresden, with third-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance after he was allegedly found with the bags containing heroin and other drug paraphernalia during a traffic stop on Route 96 in Victor.

VanHorn was arraigned in Farmington Town Court and was taken to Ontario County Jail where he is being held on $2,500 cash bail or $5,000 bond.
Posted by: Tony C.

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/23/10 02:04 PM

I live in Dresden and have never seen this dirtbag what is his address, is he a renter? Maybe he is held up in one of our public asstance rentals owned by Ray. I see the YCSO Patrol cars in town a lot, how can we continue to support these people I bet a $10.00 bill this guy is on public assistance of some sort. If he had that much heroin on his person the bail is way too low.

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/23/10 02:50 PM

MORE TO SAY! Dresden is a fine community with many good people that are interested in improving their lives and propeties, we have a good number of people that have purchased homes and are really making some real improvements. It is a shame that some of these old homes have been purchased by the Slum Lords of Yates County and they continue to be allowed not to take care of these properties. Where is that new Zoning Officer? Take a ride into Dresden and see what nice places there are, the homes that are owned by the Slum Lords WILL SHOW UP LIKE A RAT TURD IN A PAN OF MILK! Currently we have several homes and properties going thru major renovations. I have said for a long time Dresden is a realtors dream come true. The village is clean, we have many Public Amenities, Three Playgrounds, Two Nice Resturants, Ice Cream Shop, Post Office, Motorcycle Shop, Two Churches, Better Streets than Penn Yan, it is a Great Place to Raise Your Children, and some really Good People. I hear that Bill Updike is looking into starting up the Old Dresden Boy Scout Troop, Go for it Bill! You can sit on your back porch and listen to the quiet on a warm summer evening, there is nothing like it in a small village setting. and it really burns my a-- when we get these undesirables in the village. I say take away their public assistance benefits before they screw up, put them to work so they wont have so much idle time, make them clean up the county roads if they want to eat on our money. They say you should not judge a book by its cover, look at the picture of that dirtbag in the paper and tell me different.
Posted by: dummy2

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/23/10 03:36 PM

I'm with ya Tony! But how can you tell from the picture that this kid is on public assistance? Having that much dope on him he probably had more cash that most Yates County employed people. My only hope is that the Yates County investigators find out where he got it all from.

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/23/10 03:58 PM

I have a real problem with our Public Assitance Programs and I suspect he is abusing the system, I maybe wrong but I doubt it. I do not have a problem helping somebody out but alot of these people will ride the train as long as they can get away with it. As a society we can not continue taking care of people that will not take care of themselfs, there is GREED at all levels and classes of people in our society and it is bringing us down as a nation there are too many people on the system. I know there are people that are on the system that work for people under the table and still take the free cheese, they do not need the cheese but they will take it because it is free. I have herd of people that are on the system and one of their tricks is to take a friend to the supermarket get their groceries with the benefit card and then take the money from their friend so they can buy their beer and cigerettes, etc. It is very similar to what big corporation has done to America, just a different level. They are all guilty of stealing from the hard working people of this great nation.
Posted by: VM Smith

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/23/10 04:01 PM

How much dope was it?
Posted by: Daisy Duke

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/23/10 04:02 PM

Who will be the lead in this investigation, NYS Police, OCSD, or YCSD? He lives in Yates, but arrested in Ontario.

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/23/10 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: VM Smith
How much dope was it?

Are you trying to trick a dummy? 76 bags I'm no junkie so I'd have to do some research into street lingo.

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/23/10 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Daisy Duke
Who will be the lead in this investigation, NYS Police, OCSD, or YCSD? He lives in Yates, but arrested in Ontario.

The troopers nabbed him so likely them. Besides that I don't believe any agency will comment.

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/23/10 04:10 PM

You said "that much dope" so I naturally figured you had some clue as to how much dope it was; I didn't know you were just pulling it out of your butt.

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/23/10 04:15 PM

Even for a dummy who has no idea about heroine it is safe to say that 76 bags must be "that much dope." But you got me wondering. I'll get to work on it.

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/23/10 04:26 PM

Quote:
it is safe to say that 76 bags must be "that much dope."

One can always say that, but if one doesn't know how much dope it is, then of course it's an absolutely meaningless statement.

Likewise, if Tony c. has no clue how much dope it is, the how can he have any clue that the bail is too low? Are you guys working with crystal balls or ouija boards over there?

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/23/10 04:38 PM

Quote:
it is safe to say that 76 bags must be "that much dope."

One can always say that, but if one doesn't know how much dope it is, then of course it's an absolutely meaningless statement.

Likewise, if Tony c. has no clue how much dope it is, the how can he have any clue that the bail is too low? Are you guys working with crystal balls or ouija boards over there?

I snort a combination of Copenhagen and hot pepper. It not expensive and there are no laws against it. We don't have old geezer hippies over here growing marijuana like they do in Seneca County.

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/23/10 04:49 PM

Quote:
I snort a combination of Copenhagen and hot pepper.

Do you smoke it, too?

Quote:
We don't have old geezer hippies over here growing marijuana like they do in Seneca County.

Don't kid yourself.
Posted by: apa

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/23/10 04:58 PM

The guy may be on welfare because he has no "legitimate" income, but when I worked in the City Court bail office, the drug sellers always made bail and it was always in cash. ( and it often smelled funny, contact high)

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/23/10 05:27 PM

LOL, the customers may have taken up a collection...
Posted by: mommyk12

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/23/10 06:44 PM

I heard it was weed. Would explain the very low bail.
Posted by: Mean Gene

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/23/10 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: dummy2
Even for a dummy who has no idea about heroine it is safe to say that 76 bags must be "that much dope." But you got me wondering. I'll get to work on it.

12 packets in a "bindle" about $120 a bindle. heroin is cheap compared to other drugs. Users start snorting it and then they graduate to tne needle. Highly addictive. Lots of drug houses in the city of Rochester where is is being peddled.
Posted by: beeba24

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/23/10 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: mommyk12
I heard it was weed. Would explain the very low bail.
You heard it was weed,explain.
Posted by: Daisy Duke

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/23/10 07:02 PM

MG, who would be the lead LE agency for investigation? Arrested by NYSP, arrested in Ontario. Co., but lives in Yates.

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/23/10 08:04 PM

I would probably know if I was still on the job \:\) The news release says "traffic stop". You will never know if it was just a traffic violation stop or a stop based on information provided by an informant.
Posted by: S.P. King 2nd

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/23/10 10:11 PM

Mean Gene at what level, or amount of drugs would this be turned over to the DEA?

You know I'm hooked on that reality show on Spike TV!

Have you seen it?

It is great, they take a guy like this, they read him, then from there they flip him usually based on the fact that they are facing serious prison time, they can make it all or most or all of it go away if they give up the person above them (because they really don't care about a street level dealer or some one running drugs because they can easily be replaced) it does nothing so they work their way up and usually shut down heroin and other drug rings within 24-48 hours. It's really interesting and exciting if anyone hasn't seen it.
Posted by: luvpy

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/24/10 06:28 AM

It seems obvious with that many bags that there was intent to sell. I was suprised that bail was set so low.

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/24/10 07:13 AM

The dummy has an idea. You know those big plastic tags stapled in cow's ears? Maybe we could do that with the drug salesman we catch. A big old red tag hanging from their ear would tip off the general public and make it pretty hard to sit down on the outlet trail or behind the stores on main street. We could even put a transmitter chip in it. Better yet let probation give them an electronic shout out. Sure it's Christmas time, but I got no mercy on dope heads.

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/24/10 08:27 AM

The dummy has an idea. You know those big plastic tags stapled in cow's ears? Maybe we could do that with the drug salesman we catch. A big old red tag hanging from their ear would tip off the general public and make it pretty hard to sit down on the outlet trail or behind the stores on main street.

Or make it easier to buy drugs..

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/24/10 08:31 AM

Sure it's Christmas time, but I got no mercy on dope heads.

How do you know just because he was caught with drugs that looks like he was planning to sell or was running somewhere else for someone else that he is a dope head?
Posted by: wiseguy1

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/24/10 08:32 AM

Originally Posted By: S.P. King 2nd
The dummy has an idea. You know those big plastic tags stapled in cow's ears? Maybe we could do that with the drug salesman we catch. A big old red tag hanging from their ear would tip off the general public and make it pretty hard to sit down on the outlet trail or behind the stores on main street.

Or make it easier to buy drugs..

Yeah That's a real brillant idea.

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/24/10 09:31 AM

Mean Gene at what level, or amount of drugs would this be turned over to the DEA?

You know I'm hooked on that reality show on Spike TV!

Have you seen it?

It is great, they take a guy like this, they read him, then from there they flip him usually based on the fact that they are facing serious prison time, they can make it all or most or all of it go away if they give up the person above them (because they really don't care about a street level dealer or some one running drugs because they can easily be replaced) it does nothing so they work their way up and usually shut down heroin and other drug rings within 24-48 hours. It's really interesting and exciting if anyone hasn't seen it.

I have seen the show a couple of times. Thats the way the DEA and police agencies are suppose to operate. The goal is to "go up the ladder" to get the big time dealers. What they did works easier in a metropolitan area. I would always try and get to a higher level dealer if possible. it was often difficult because the locals quite often make runs to Rochester and Elmira to buy their supplies. They would come back to PY and step on it and resell, often to support their habit.
The only way to win the war on drugs is to change peoples attitude towards wanting to use drugs. The demand is there so the suppliers will continue to come. Merry Xmas!!

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/24/10 10:54 AM

Sure it's Christmas time, but I got no mercy on dope heads.

How do you know just because he was caught with drugs that looks like he was planning to sell or was running somewhere else for someone else that he is a dope head?

King, you amaze me. Either way he is a "dope." You argue just for the sake of argument. You think that that he was some kid on his way back from bible school and someone put 76 bags of heroine in his Spiderman lunch pail?

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/24/10 10:57 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lvUX4_egLA
Posted by: PYmastersteve

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/24/10 10:02 PM

You would probably be surprised how many sellers dont even touch the stuff, they just sell it. And i want to know where you heard it was "weed" when the police report clearly states "HEROIN" and i would assume since the arrest was by the NYSP, they would lead the investigation. and since it was in a different county other then yates, i doubt they will be doing any kind of investigation, unless they raid his home in dresden, which, with 76 bags being found, i wouldnt doubt one bit if they did.

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/25/10 07:05 AM

Originally Posted By: PYmastersteve
You would probably be surprised how many sellers dont even touch the stuff, they just sell it. And i want to know where you heard it was "weed" when the police report clearly states "HEROIN" and i would assume since the arrest was by the NYSP, they would lead the investigation. and since it was in a different county other then yates, i doubt they will be doing any kind of investigation, unless they raid his home in dresden, which, with 76 bags being found, i wouldnt doubt one bit if they did.

MommaK12 called it weed. Don't know why.

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/25/10 07:32 AM

Yea i was too lazy to go back and find who said it was weed. It doesnt matter, 76 bags of weed will get you time too lol. But, heroin is far worse then having weed. bye bye mr vanhorn see ya in 10-15 years.

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/25/10 07:33 AM

Also on a side note, he also had peraphanalia (not sure of spelling) in his possession too, so theres another charge on top of possesion with intent.
Posted by: wiseguy1

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/25/10 08:19 AM

Also on a side note, he also had peraphanalia (not sure of spelling) in his possession too, so theres another charge on top of possesion with intent.

Lazy and uneducated that sums you up perfectly. LMAO!

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/25/10 03:42 PM

Quote:
12 packets in a "bindle" about $120 a bindle.

That still doesn't answer the question of "How much?". I doubt if the law applying to smack uses terms like packet and bindles; it probably uses units like grams, ounces, and pounds.

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/25/10 06:50 PM

Quote:
12 packets in a "bindle" about $120 a bindle.

That still doesn't answer the question of "How much?". I doubt if the law applying to smack uses terms like packet and bindles; it probably uses units like grams, ounces, and pounds.

VM why don't you call up the State Police and ask them. Do your own homework.

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/25/10 06:56 PM

I don't have a need to; I don't care if he had a truckload of smack, or even if he were to shoot it all at once. My only point was that before anyone starts hyperventilating about what a huge amount of drugs were involved, it would be intelligent to 1st find out what the amount actually was.

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/25/10 07:06 PM

I don't have a need to; I don't care if he had a truckload of smack, or even if he were to shoot it all at once. My only point was that before anyone starts hyperventilating about what a huge amount of drugs were involved, it would be intelligent to 1st find out what the amount actually was.

If he had that number the "possessed with intent to sell" would apply. Probably a class "B" felony, the same level as actually selling it. There is a "weight" factor that you could charge someone with but it usually doesn't come into play unless there is a significant weight involved. They will send it to the lab, get the weight and charge accordingly. That number of packets is significant for Yates or Ontario County.

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/25/10 07:19 PM

Ahhh...the voice of knowledge, reason, and experience...how sweet it is...
Posted by: mommyk12

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/27/10 07:20 AM

I had asked someone in the legal loop why the bail was so low, I was told that it was not heroin, that it was marijuana. I referred to it as weed, cause i was too lazy to look up how to spell "Marijuana" That's all

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/27/10 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: mommyk12
I had asked someone in the legal loop why the bail was so low, I was told that it was not heroin, that it was marijuana. I referred to it as weed, cause i was too lazy to look up how to spell "Marijuana" That's all

Well that person either lied to you or was not really in the "loop" now were they?

Anyhoo, you are just one of those people who contribute to horrendous rumor mill in this area. A classic example of "I know someone who knows someone who knows NOTHING"...lol Classic Yates County!

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/27/10 06:06 PM

Even if it was Marijuana, (according to research) a dime bag weighs about a gram so that would be 76 grams = 2.68 ounces. Since it was in individual packets it would fall under intent to sell and after doing some googling that would be a Class E Felony punishable by 1-4 years in prison and a $5,000 fine...

Is that about right Mean Gene?
Posted by: jusumguy75

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/27/10 07:46 PM

Yea i was too lazy to go back and find who said it was weed. It doesnt matter, 76 bags of weed will get you time too lol. But, heroin is far worse then having weed. bye bye mr vanhorn see ya in 10-15 years.

The kid will get out of the system in under a year with the way the courts and DOC is set up. I know someone who got a class b drug felony a year after he got two of the same. He was on felony probation for the first charges. He was sentenced to 4 years in the state corrections system. He was out in 11 months. And now doing very well drug and drama free.

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/27/10 08:58 PM

Even if it was Marijuana, (according to research) a dime bag weighs about a gram so that would be 76 grams = 2.68 ounces. Since it was in individual packets it would fall under intent to sell and after doing some googling that would be a Class E Felony punishable by 1-4 years in prison and a $5,000 fine...

Is that about right Mean Gene?

If my memory serves me correctly the Marihuana statutes do not have a "possession with intent to sell" section. It is all based on weight and or actual sale. A sale of just over an ounce (26 grams?) is an E Felony. Marihuana is so expensive too buy that you don't get the police trying to make marihuana buys unless there is something large involved. You can spend around $250 to get an E felony sale. If they screw you on the weight you spent $250 for a misdemanor sale. You can spend $20 and get a "B" felony coke buy.

Re: Dresden man arrested with 76 bags of heroin - 12/29/10 03:54 PM

1 Ounce = 28.3495231 Grams