big water mess!

Posted by: dainty

big water mess! - 02/23/13 10:00 PM

My drain appears to be clogged. The water backs into my front loading washer. When I opened the door, water gushed out flooding the laundry room. Water also backs into my sink along with a bunch of ground vegetables I had put through the disposal A WEEK AGO! Can I fix this myself or would it be best to call a plumber? Suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Posted by: VM Smith

Re: big water mess! - 02/23/13 11:38 PM

I'd try it myself, 1st. It's not hard at all; I couldn't imagine calling a plumber for a clog, without trying to clear it 1st, and failing, which hasn't happened to me, yet.

You could start with Liquid Plumber, or a similar product. If that doesn't work, and it might not, since you seem to have chunks, use a snake. They make all kinds and lengths. The two I've used, and still have, are a 15' light duty, and a 50' heavy steel tape type, both manual.

They've worked well, but here's what I'd look at if I were buying one now. I'm sure this manufacturer, or others, sell different lengths. Just be sure how long the drain line is before buying anything. If you have drains longer than the clogged one, you might choose the length with possible future need in mind:

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-81250-4-Inch...mber%27s+snakes

Even if you have to buy a good variable speed drill, it would still probably be cheaper than the plumber, and you'd still have a good drill. If you have to buy a drill, and plan to use it only occasionally, so that convenience isn't much of an issue, I'd go with a corded model. Lots of power, and no (very) expensive batteries to mess with.

You might need an extension cord, but they're good to have, too. Get the wire gauge recommended in the drill instructions, to avoid burning out the drill motor, although the cord won't need to be too thick (expensive, that is), if it's short.

Drill cords are famous for being 2' shorter than you need them to be. \:\)
Posted by: bluezone

Re: big water mess! - 02/24/13 09:17 AM

Originally Posted By: dainty
The water backs into my front loading washer.

puzzled by this

most washers have a drain that is not a 'permanent' connection

you would notice water on the floor near the washer

is there a basement in the home to gain access to the sewer line?

Re: big water mess! - 02/24/13 09:18 AM

Water also backs into my sink along with a bunch of ground vegetables I had put through the disposal A WEEK AGO!

was it celery?

Re: big water mess! - 02/24/13 07:42 PM

Yes, I was able to get about two cups of it out by using the wet vac with a drain tool. I also discovered lots of soap build up. The drain is still slow.

Re: big water mess! - 02/25/13 04:47 PM

The drain is still slow.

is it the sink drain or the washer drain that is slow?

Re: big water mess! - 02/25/13 10:05 PM

Quote:
I also discovered lots of soap build up.

Soap does build up, but so does grease, which should never be put down a drain. It will help to clog a drain, and for those who have them, it will also ruin a leach field, if your grey water runs into it. If you don't have a dog to do the pre-cleaning, throw grease into the garbage.
Posted by: SilverFox

Re: big water mess! - 02/25/13 11:06 PM

If the lint filter on a front loader is blocked with lint it will not completely drain during the final spin. Found that out one time when I washed a bath mat that shed like crazy and plugged the filter. As for soap build up use "he" detergent only and you can ocassionally use the Tide product for cleaning your washer of scum, etc.
Posted by: alummule

Re: big water mess! - 02/27/13 04:19 PM

Have you haven't tried A drain plunger ?
Posted by: alummule

Re: big water mess! - 02/28/13 09:53 AM

Typo correction
Have you tried A drain plunger ?
Posted by: Dizzyt

Re: big water mess! - 03/01/13 01:14 PM

Even better, I'm sure you could rent one of these that VM mentioned. Finger Lakes Rental, I believe it's next to HEP on 5&20 rents snakes out and even has the power units. Their link and pricing are below:

http://www.flequipmentrental.com/PRODUCTS_AND_PRICING.html

Snake, Drain, 20' Hand $8.00 $6.00
Snake, Power 75' $45.00 $33.75
Snake, Sewer, 50'' Hand $14.00

Originally Posted By: VM Smith
I'd try it myself, 1st. It's not hard at all; I couldn't imagine calling a plumber for a clog, without trying to clear it 1st, and failing, which hasn't happened to me, yet.

You could start with Liquid Plumber, or a similar product. If that doesn't work, and it might not, since you seem to have chunks, use a snake. They make all kinds and lengths. The two I've used, and still have, are a 15' light duty, and a 50' heavy steel tape type, both manual.

They've worked well, but here's what I'd look at if I were buying one now. I'm sure this manufacturer, or others, sell different lengths. Just be sure how long the drain line is before buying anything. If you have drains longer than the clogged one, you might choose the length with possible future need in mind:

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-81250-4-Inch...mber%27s+snakes

Even if you have to buy a good variable speed drill, it would still probably be cheaper than the plumber, and you'd still have a good drill. If you have to buy a drill, and plan to use it only occasionally, so that convenience isn't much of an issue, I'd go with a corded model. Lots of power, and no (very) expensive batteries to mess with.

You might need an extension cord, but they're good to have, too. Get the wire gauge recommended in the drill instructions, to avoid burning out the drill motor, although the cord won't need to be too thick (expensive, that is), if it's short.

Drill cords are famous for being 2' shorter than you need them to be. \:\)

Re: big water mess! - 03/01/13 01:50 PM

The drain is still slow.

if it is the kitchen sink then pour some baking soda followed by vinegar down the drain

after it stops foaming pour in some very hot water

depending on the conditions you should do this about every 6 months or when you notice it starting to drain slow

Re: big water mess! - 03/04/13 06:08 PM

The drain is still slow.

if this is the only fixture that is slow then a 'snake' to the where it meets the 4" should help

Re: big water mess! - 03/13/13 04:38 PM

Well, I worked and worked before giving up. I called a plummer who fixed it with a snake after putting in a clean out valve. Thank you for all the help

Re: big water mess! - 03/14/13 10:01 AM

plumber who fixed it with a snake

how many feet did the plumber have to go?

Re: big water mess! - 03/14/13 11:25 AM

And what did he charge?
Posted by: Sallie

Re: big water mess! - 03/14/13 06:04 PM

Clogged drains and toilets are my least favorite thing.
I moved into a place the previous people had put fish gravel down the kitchen sink. Ended up having a plumber come take care of it.
The system had an access in a closet which erupted like a volcano all over the place. Water, sludge, stink to clean up and bleach the wall. Fun times.

Re: big water mess! - 03/15/13 07:39 PM

Watch out for cat litter, too...it sets up like concrete.

Re: big water mess! - 03/17/13 11:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Sallie
I moved into a place the previous people had put fish gravel down the kitchen sink. Ended up having a plumber come take care of it.
The system had an access in a closet which erupted like a volcano all over the place. Water, sludge, stink to clean up and bleach the wall. Fun times.

the plumber should have known that it would do that

Re: big water mess! - 03/18/13 10:09 AM

Originally Posted By: VM Smith
Watch out for cat litter, too...it sets up like concrete.

believe they have a product that can teach a cat to use a regular toilet