Gas/Water fireplace?

Posted by: Yetta Nother

Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/07/08 04:32 PM

I have a fireplace that I believe has a water log and a gas log. The gas is capped off in the basement. It's really old and beautiful and I want to get it working. Does anyone know anything about these things?
Posted by: VM Smith

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/07/08 04:43 PM

Let me look at it.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/07/08 04:46 PM

Ok. I thought that it just the got the top log hot but it appears that there is a water line running through the top log. It's very old but in immaculate condition. I am not sure why it was ever capped off.....just that the people before never used it. It looks easy enough to connect as it just looks disconnected. Just have never seen it with the water running through it.....and of course I need it to be safe. Thanks.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/07/08 04:58 PM

We think that it may be hooked up to make hot water, or to hot water radiators, but more likely, it's a humidifier. I'll check your plumbing for you; sounds very interesting.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/07/08 05:09 PM

Well it looks like a water line and there two hold in the brick on each side which I think the water lines runs through and that is how the heat is distributed maybe.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/07/08 05:10 PM

Reminds me of hot water baseboard kinda thing.....just as a fireplace.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/07/08 05:22 PM

"that is how the heat is distributed maybe."

Sounds like it. Are you working tomorrow?

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/07/08 05:38 PM

Yes.....I will be home after work. 4:30ish.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/07/08 05:49 PM

There is a little thing on top I am assuming is a thermostat.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/07/08 06:42 PM

I'll be over about 5.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/07/08 06:55 PM

Okey dokie.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/09/08 10:19 AM

Smitty...where are you? I called a palce that deals with gas fireplaces and they told me that according to my description he thinks I may need a plumber?

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/09/08 12:46 PM

Did he say why?

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/09/08 01:14 PM

Cause of the whole water thing. I haven't been able to find anyone that knows anything about his type of fireplace....Jesus...I'm ready for a drink.
Posted by:

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/09/08 01:31 PM

First thing to have checked would be the chimney, I think.
Posted by:

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/09/08 01:34 PM

VM! Weren't you a sweep in a former life?

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/09/08 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Yetta Nother
Cause of the whole water thing. I haven't been able to find anyone that knows anything about his type of fireplace....Jesus...I'm ready for a drink.

I think the water thing is simple, It's only a closed tank, which is heated to make steam; there's no pressure water supply. The guy probably thought it was plumbed into the water supply line. Work today?

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/09/08 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Festus!

Why? It doesnt run through a chimney.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/09/08 01:41 PM

Yes I'm working. I will be home probably around 6ish.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/09/08 01:42 PM

LOL, I was a sweep, and this heater is ventless.
Posted by:

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/09/08 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: VM Smith

LOL, I was a sweep, and this heater is ventless.

I thought so. I guess my mind ain't completely shot.
Is the water line actually connected - to anything?

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/09/08 01:59 PM

I think it is just encased and isn't lined into anything....The bottom log heats the top log and I think that the top log gets filled with water.....nto sure if it is steam or what.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/09/08 02:08 PM

It could be described as an unvented gas flame which heats a cast iron water tank which looks like a log. Above that, behind a brick facade, is a cast iron steam radiator. The brick box/fireplace surround which houses the radiator has a low opening for an air inlet, and a high one for an outlet. Room air circulates through them, picks up heat from the radiator, and circs it to the room. The brick front face, which the radiator is mounted to the back of, would also warm up and radiate heat.

I forgot that I have a VFW Aux. meeting at 6:30. They usually last about an hour. We could come over after, or TT could come over alone.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/09/08 02:17 PM

The tank has a threaded fitting and plug in the top. Looks like a fill port, and you'd fill it up to the level of the plug. Everything above that is steam. No pressure water supply.

Think of it as a boiler/steam radiator setup.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/09/08 02:23 PM

It could be described as an unvented gas flame which heats a cast iron water tank which looks like a log. Above that, behind a brick facade, is a cast iron steam radiator. The brick box/fireplace surround which houses the radiator has a low opening for an air inlet, and a high one for an outlet. Room air circulates through them, picks up heat from the radiator, and circs it to the room. The brick front face, which the radiator is mounted to the back of, would also warm up and radiate heat.

I forgot that I have a VFW Aux. meeting at 6:30. They usually last about an hour. We could come over after, or TT could come over alone.

Yes come over afterward. I will be ready for a drink by then. I'm sure.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/09/08 09:34 PM

Thank you Smitty and Terry......I love it!

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/09/08 10:41 PM

The pleasure was ours.
Posted by:

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/10/08 06:41 AM

Did you two leave her smilin'?

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/10/08 07:01 AM

Well somebody had to do it....
Posted by: Akisma Woodchuck

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/10/08 01:23 PM

So what the heck is it? A vent-free gas fired log with a water line running thru it?

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/10/08 01:57 PM

Did you two leave her smilin'?

When we got through, the unit was fired up, filled to capacity, and purring like a kitten.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/10/08 02:02 PM

It is a gas fireplace insert.....about 1920's.....one log for burning....one for water.....the bottom burning log heats the top water log and pushes steam heat out the vents...off the brick...and out the front logs.....I love it....and it gets really warm.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/10/08 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Akisma Haryaz
So what the heck is it? A vent-free gas fired log with a water line running thru it?

Try to keep up; the Plumbing Masters are too busy satisfying women's wildest and deepest desires to explain things twice. See my posts here, starting with #934272.
Posted by:

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/10/08 02:16 PM

Try to keep up; the Plumbing Masters are too busy satisfying women's wildest and deepest desires to explain things twice. See my posts here, starting with #934272.

Obviously Yetta was pleased with your ability to lay pipe.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/10/08 02:22 PM

"Obviously Yetta was pleased with your ability to lay pipe."

Just keep burying one length at a time until you're ready to start everything flowing; easy as pie! Yetta's right;by the time we were done, everybody was quite warm!

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/10/08 03:39 PM

is the water line closed loop?

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/10/08 03:58 PM

Were there parts of this:

"It's only a closed tank, which is heated to make steam; there's no pressure water supply."

and this:

"The tank has a threaded fitting and plug in the top. Looks like a fill port, and you'd fill it up to the level of the plug. Everything above that is steam. No pressure water supply.

Think of it as a boiler/steam radiator setup."

that you didn't understand?

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/10/08 04:01 PM

I believe that it is closed yes.....and the water log was still full from all those years.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/10/08 04:29 PM

Pressure water supply is what comes into your house (or from the pump, on a boat); I stated twice that it had none; I can't state it any more clearly or simply.

I stated that it had a fill port. Why would it have a supply line if it has a fill port?

It's a water boiler/steamradiator; of course it's closed loop. Something so compact and simple as a 1929s fireplace heater is hardly likely to require an automatic resupply valve.

Truth be known, Lusi's not that obtuse; he was just trying to get me exasperated.

LOL, it worked, and now I do need that drink; see ya in 45 or so. You should be so lucky, Lusi.

It's truly a thing of compact, simple, beautifully elegant utility, Lusi; c'mon to the brunch and take a look. It makes me want to bang my head on the wall when I think of how many were probably thrown out at the advent of central heat. I wouldn't be surprised if Yetta's the only person in town who has one.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/10/08 05:21 PM

I don't understand why the line filled with water that is heated doesn't blow the line wide open when it gets really hot.

I bet it is a neat unit. I'd love to have one. But to show up to look at it, well, I don't think I'd make it out of the house except maybe on a stretcher...
Posted by: Buddy

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/10/08 07:01 PM

Maybe with the biggest smile you ever had. JMHO.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/11/08 09:21 AM

I don't understand why the line filled with water that is heated doesn't blow the line wide open when it gets really hot.
I bet it is a neat unit. I'd love to have one. But to show up to look at it, well, I don't think I'd make it out of the house except maybe on a stretcher...

I wondered that too?

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/11/08 05:24 PM

It has to have a pressure relief valve somewhere

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/11/08 05:37 PM

I know I have one. Hows about you pal?

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/11/08 08:09 PM

Not that I am aware of anywhere.....unless it is the water spout which has a nut on the top.......

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/11/08 08:30 PM

that is backwards, I don't have a clue!!!

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/11/08 09:41 PM

Not that I am aware of anywhere.....unless it is the water spout which has a nut on the top.......

It's not a spout; it's a fill port.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/11/08 10:00 PM

I'm turning my scanner on - waiting to hear of a fireplace blowing up at a green house....

water being heated in a closed loop will blow the pipe with no relief valve.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/11/08 10:05 PM

I am sure it vents, when pressure builds up. It is called steam.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/11/08 10:18 PM

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/11/08 10:28 PM

Too much pressure, guess where it comes out? a whisp of steam every now and again.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/11/08 10:42 PM

Oh Jesus.....now I need to know. You guys are scaring me.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/11/08 10:45 PM

Its ok, if the vent/valve was plugged it would have broken by now. Enjoy the extra heat. I think Harryass is messing with your head just a little.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/11/08 10:47 PM

"I don't understand why the line filled with water that is heated doesn't blow the line wide open when it gets really hot.

It's not a line; it's a boiler. When the water is heated, steam is created, which is driven to the STEAM RADIATOR.

"It's only a closed tank, which is heated to make steam;"

Water os considered to be incompressible; steam isn't. So, the unit is designed to hold the design steam pressure without exploding. So many BTU, from so much gas flow, delivered at such and such pressure, through a pipe of a given diameter, will only produce so much heat, and thus so much steam pressure.

IOW, this is all pretty easy to calculate, and the unit is very robust, with plenty of safety margin built in.

How about we go over to your house, knock you out, bring you over to Yetta's on as stretcher, and then have her revive you?

It's worked well for me, so far, although she tells me her knuckles are getting a bit sore.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/11/08 10:52 PM

"I think Harryass is messing with your head just a little."

Ya think?

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/11/08 11:04 PM

no no ...really... So you are saying this thing is over engineered to the point where there is enough pipe so that the expansion factor (the steam) cannot possibly exceed the strength of the engineered pipe size.

Ok, a steam radiator expels cold air thru a valve so hot steam can do its job (heat) on the cast iron (or log in this case) and the valve shuts when a temp is reached.

I still do not get how this works without a relief valve to expel the cold air in the pipe.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/11/08 11:10 PM

Keep debating please.....I need this resolved.....carry on and thanks.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/11/08 11:21 PM

VM thinks I am nuts, but I am really intrigued by this...

BTW - the stretcher thing, I am considering

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/11/08 11:35 PM

Deaerator for Corrosion Prevention

Consequently, oxygen removal is well studied to limit corrosion in boiler tubes. Deaerator is most commonly used to rid feed water of dissolved oxygen.

Very briefly, the deaeration process uses live steam and mechanical agitation to encourage dissolved oxygen to escape from the water.

The liberated dissolved oxygen must be continuously removed from the deaerator, and hence, a small purge stream of steam from the deaerator becomes the accepted industrial norm.

The size of this required purge depends on factors like design capacity, efficiency and oxygen loading on the deaerator unit.

Typically, the vent rate is around one half to one percent for smaller, more efficient units and having lower make-up water. High make-up water requires vent rate of over one percent, typically in food processing industries.

Larger units typically vent at the higher rate to compensate because of lower efficiency. In practice, operating engineers often err on the conservative side and purge at a higher rate just to be on the safe side.

Purging nominally one percent of boiler capacity has been accepted as reasonable deaerator operation.

soooooooo - where is the deaerator?

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/11/08 11:41 PM

"a steam radiator expels cold air thru a valve"

Not true.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/11/08 11:42 PM

Since makeup water contains considerable amounts of dissolved oxygen, corrosion becomes a critical reliability concern because high heat intensity at the boiler tubes accelerates the oxidation process. Therefore, feed water to the boiler must be made oxygen free. Generally the higher the makeup water, the higher is the dissolved oxygen loading.

Should this system be charged with alcohol or anti-freeze?

How corroded are the pipes over the years of use?

Should a pressure test be done on the pipe?

What if it blows up and Yetti gets cold?

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/11/08 11:51 PM

She has your number, I gave it to her, she can call you to warm her up. LOL, Please bring your heart meds, becasue if she is really cold, you will know it. I am sure you will get the points. JMO>

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/11/08 11:55 PM

"So you are saying this thing is over engineered to the point where there is enough pipe so that the expansion factor (the steam) cannot possibly exceed the strength of the engineered pipe size."

Theoretically, it could, but you'd need more heat than is available from the given burner size/gas flow. What untoward event would happen, short of lighting off a Saturn V under that sucker?

Lusi, please stop, before I have to go up there, hold Yetta, and tell her everything's going to be all right.

On second thought, don't stop.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/11/08 11:58 PM

"Since makeup water contains considerable amounts of dissolved oxygen,"

Relax; there IS no makeup water: remember; it's a closed loop.
Posted by:

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/12/08 05:23 AM

Since makeup water contains considerable amounts of dissolved oxygen, corrosion becomes a critical reliability concern because high heat intensity at the boiler tubes accelerates the oxidation process. Therefore, feed water to the boiler must be made oxygen free. Generally the higher the makeup water, the higher is the dissolved oxygen loading.

Should this system be charged with alcohol or anti-freeze?

How corroded are the pipes over the years of use?

Should a pressure test be done on the pipe?

What if it blows up and Yetti gets cold?

What if you drive through the Waterloo school zone?

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/12/08 10:08 AM

"So you are saying this thing is over engineered to the point where there is enough pipe so that the expansion factor (the steam) cannot possibly exceed the strength of the engineered pipe size."

Theoretically, it could, but you'd need more heat than is available from the given burner size/gas flow. What untoward event would happen, short of lighting off a Saturn V under that sucker?

Lusi, please stop, before I have to go up there, hold Yetta, and tell her everything's going to be all right.
On second thought, don't stop.

Wow....sounds like my weekend just started getting better.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/12/08 10:08 AM

....so am I understanding that the water doesn't boil?

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/12/08 10:50 AM

It is a boiler....

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/12/08 10:50 AM

VM...you'd better count on going over to reassure. I am not exactly sure now, the more I read the more it points to imminent danger danger...WR

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/12/08 11:02 AM

....so am I understanding that the water doesn't boil?

Not sure, and I can't find much online, except that in a hot water baseboard system, thewater doesn't boil, even though it's called a boiler, as long as the expansion tank has the proper amount of air pressure in it.

This is a steam or vapor radiator, which is a little different. It would have some vapor pressure in it, and I think that keeps it from boiling. I want to listen to it a little more carefully tomorrow.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/12/08 11:03 AM

"VM...you'd better count on going over to reassure."

Yes, Will Robinson....I'm on it.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/12/08 12:29 PM

Oh brother......I can't run this till I know for sure now. Whaaaaa!

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/12/08 12:48 PM

I want to listen to it a little more carefully tomorrow.

When he gets down to "listen" to it make sure it isn't an upskirt exploration moment for him....

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/12/08 12:58 PM

Relax; I'll make a house call tonight.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/12/08 12:59 PM

When he gets down to "listen" to it make sure it isn't an upskirt exploration moment for him....

I don't have to get down; I always wear toe mirrors.
Posted by:

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/12/08 01:57 PM

I don't have to get down; I always wear toe mirrors.

You should try taping your cell phone to your toe.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/12/08 02:01 PM

Thanks for the tip; great idea! Did you find it in Dear Abby, or Google?

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/12/08 03:14 PM

Relax; I'll make a house call tonight.

House call? Hmmm......what does that entail.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/12/08 03:20 PM

you will need to take all your clothes off
Posted by:

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/12/08 03:27 PM

Thanks for the tip; great idea! Did you find it in Dear Abby, or Google?

That was actually part of the MS Tech exam.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/12/08 11:23 PM

....well everyone wore their helmets tonight but we waited in anticipation for it to blow.....and nothing.....I'm beside myself over a boring night. HA!

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/12/08 11:39 PM

just helmets, hmmm

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/12/08 11:57 PM

Yes....we all just wore helmets....it was pretty comical.
Posted by: Ms Cracktholomew

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/13/08 08:00 PM

Did you all wear smiles with your helmets?
Posted by: Ms Cracktholomew

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/13/08 08:01 PM

I cannot believe that VM Smith didn't have something else on.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/13/08 09:51 PM

I think he was cold and nothing showed.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/14/08 10:51 AM

I had my bare butt located right next to the firplace. Being a truly chivalrous gentleman, I was ready to take the shrapnel for Yetta, in the event of a calamitous explosion.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/14/08 05:57 PM

That is true........but he did offer me the chair right in front of it....now that I think about it.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/14/08 05:58 PM

I had my bare butt located right next to the firplace. Being a truly chivalrous gentleman, I was ready to take the shrapnel for Yetta, in the event of a calamitous explosion.

....and.....at some point his butt got bare....so I must have missed a lot.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/14/08 06:07 PM

Maybe not!!!

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/14/08 06:09 PM

I apparently did since I missed it.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/14/08 06:45 PM

:/you just never know, LMAO

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/14/08 07:23 PM

Well maybe he mooned me while I wasn't looking. I don't recall him being bare in front of the fireplace.....he had his pants on still. Lol.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/14/08 07:34 PM

I thought I must have been naked, because you said we all just wore helmets, but I may have been mistaken.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/14/08 07:41 PM

Oh that's right.....well not all of us. Lol.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/14/08 11:46 PM

did it blow up yet?

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/14/08 11:56 PM

Not yet. Been on all day.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/15/08 12:04 AM

I hope it is keeping you toastie warm.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/15/08 12:17 AM

Glad to see your nervousness is gone.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/15/08 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Buddy
I hope it is keeping you toastie warm.

Actually it keeps it quite cozy. \:\)

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/15/08 12:25 AM

That's because I trust you.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/15/08 12:26 AM

Lets go and be intimate with our pillows.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/15/08 12:27 AM

Oh....I love it when you talk like that.......hahahahaha.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/15/08 12:34 AM

That's because I trust you.

And I love it when you talk like that.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/15/08 08:14 AM

....yes cause most men I have come across CANNOT be trusted.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/15/08 09:53 AM

I think too many PEOPLE can't be trusted. Some days, I think it's the majority of people, and some days I think it's not, but the % is always higher than I'd like.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/15/08 10:32 AM

I agree.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/15/08 12:26 PM

How touching....
Posted by:

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/15/08 12:27 PM

You're touched alright.
Posted by: Joe the Troller

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/15/08 03:14 PM

Haven't you got a sheep to blow up...

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/15/08 07:03 PM

Thats about all he's good for, blowing. JMHO
Posted by: nymmamma

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/15/08 07:11 PM

....yes cause most men I have come across CANNOT be trusted.

I second that!

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/15/08 07:17 PM

Don't clump us all together. some of us are different.
Posted by:

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/15/08 07:31 PM

That's correct.

Some, like Buddy, can't be trusted.

Others, such as I, can be trusted implicitly.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/15/08 07:43 PM

Yeah right, you are so "trustworthy" I would trust you as far as I could toss your MIL.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/15/08 09:44 PM

I keep praying for ya!

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/15/08 09:50 PM

TY, if you think I need it.

Re: Gas/Water fireplace? - 12/15/08 09:59 PM

When I meet one that is different I will convert my thinking over.