Gas Log Fireplace

Posted by: SilverFox

Gas Log Fireplace - 10/25/08 02:11 PM

I have a five year old vent free gas log set in my fireplace. I only use them ocassionally or if the power goes out. I have cleaned them and tried everything to light the pilot light. It will light but will go out as soon as the button is released. The owner's manual says it could be the thermocouple or control unit needs to be replaced. Does anyone know who services these units or, because of it's age,should I just buy a whole new unit?
Posted by:

Re: Gas Log Fireplace - 10/25/08 06:54 PM

A thermocouple is very inexpensive. Any plumbing and heating serviceman should be able to change it.
Posted by: Ovidian

Re: Gas Log Fireplace - 10/25/08 09:23 PM

Also very easy to install.
Posted by: Buddy

Re: Gas Log Fireplace - 10/25/08 11:42 PM

I had the same thing going on in the heater of a camper I once had, I got the thermocouple, installed it, it wasn't that cobweb in the burner you couldn't see. I use compressed air, web shot out. Thing was fine, Back then a themocoupler was around 40 bucks.
Posted by: SilverFox

Re: Gas Log Fireplace - 10/26/08 12:00 AM

I even ran the pipe cleaner from the cleaning kit inside the pilot light tube and it didn't help. I also cleaned the air intake with the little air pump and the pipe cleaner. It lights and then goes right out no matter how long I hold the control nob in after ignition (supposed to be 30 seconds). Guess it needs professional help.
Posted by: Ranger

Re: Gas Log Fireplace - 10/26/08 06:07 AM

a thermocouple isn't hard to change, if you can take it out yourself, take it to HEP's and they can match you up a new one
Posted by: LOTE

Re: Gas Log Fireplace - 10/26/08 09:29 AM

Originally Posted By: SilverFox
I even ran the pipe cleaner from the cleaning kit inside the pilot light tube and it didn't help. I also cleaned the air intake with the little air pump and the pipe cleaner. It lights and then goes right out no matter how long I hold the control nob in after ignition (supposed to be 30 seconds). Guess it needs professional help.


SF, are you sure you've purged the gas line fully? They say 30 seconds, but if you turned off your gas to the unit when you last used it, it will take longer than 30 seconds. They can be a pita to light once they've been off for the summer. Also, right next to the pilot light there is a brass fitting that should have a pin hole in it. Try using compressed air in that pin hole to clean that out. If I was to take a guess, it would be that sensor is dirty or dusty.
Posted by: Buddy

Re: Gas Log Fireplace - 10/26/08 09:29 AM

silver that is exactly what my camper furnace did. Everyone said themorcouple,
Posted by: LOTE

Re: Gas Log Fireplace - 10/26/08 09:47 AM

SF, give me a call. I can talk you through this without calling a repairman.
Posted by: SilverFox

Re: Gas Log Fireplace - 10/26/08 06:02 PM

Well, duh! Thanks, Ranger. Never think about them and all I would have to do is walk across the road to HEPs.
Posted by: SilverFox

Re: Gas Log Fireplace - 10/26/08 06:06 PM

Looks like tomorrow is get down on the floor and crawl around to see if I can find that pin hole. Unfortunately the man that ran the gas line didn't bother to put a separate shut off on the line so I am limited in the ability to move the unit by a short flex hose line. I'm getting too old for this crawling around on the floor garbage.
Posted by: Akisma Woodchuck

Re: Gas Log Fireplace - 10/26/08 08:22 PM

too old for the crawling or the getting back up?
Posted by: SilverFox

Re: Gas Log Fireplace - 10/26/08 09:49 PM

Both!