AHHH!!!!!

Posted by: StillLearning

AHHH!!!!! - 01/08/05 03:23 PM

I'm sure this has been posted before, but HOLY CRAP! I have NEVER seen so many crows in my dang life! They're everywhere! I'm here for just the weekend, and in just today, they've come around 4 times...they cover like 50 trees, you can't even see the trees, all you see it black, ugly crows! It reminds me of the movie "The Birds"...

Sorry, but these things are so annoying and loud...I'll stop now...
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/08/05 06:11 PM

My dear, Still, Auburn is the crow capitol the North East. They even did a TV special on it once that aired nationally. No one can figure out why they pick Auburn. I used to drive in to work at the prison and the sky would be black with them.
Posted by: StillLearning

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/08/05 09:10 PM

I've always heard about 'em and all, but I never knew or saw how really bad they are...
Posted by: Ranger

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/09/05 07:14 AM

we were in Auburn last night, and it was quite interesting to say the least, the trees were filled with birds, the trees looked as though they had black leaves on them, at that time of night
Posted by: sassyone

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/09/05 09:42 AM

Not a great thing to be noted for. Scientists haven't been able to figure it out?
Posted by: Z Genius Lusifer

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/09/05 06:58 PM

It has something to do with the prison...
Posted by: glinda

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/09/05 07:14 PM

Those are my pets.

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/09/05 07:21 PM

hmmmm someone sicker than me....

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/09/05 07:27 PM

Just a quick study.

Don't you love my ebony vultures?

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/09/05 07:44 PM

they match your personality - I am sure

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/09/05 07:48 PM

Well they are very cuddly and affectionate.
Posted by: MELLOMOONCHILD

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/09/05 11:12 PM

by James Coe
Cool fact: During fall and winter, American Crows may form communal roosts with tens, hundreds, and even thousands of birds. They will fly as far as 50 miles to forage, returning along established flight routes to the roost each evening.

A flock of crows is called a "murder"

www.auburnpub.com/articles/2004/02/17/news/news02.txt

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/10/05 05:04 AM

Ahhhh my beauties.
Posted by: Home owner

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/11/05 01:53 PM

Where do you think KFC gets there meals from!
Posted by: GiR

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/11/05 02:35 PM

YAY!! BIRDIES!!
Posted by: Gio

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/11/05 05:29 PM

Crows? In Auburn? Where???
Posted by: nana

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/11/05 06:12 PM

Well---Auburn started scaring them off yesterday and guess where they flew to? Waterloo in my back yard---We must of had 500 hundred of them.
Posted by: Strawberry Jam

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/11/05 06:36 PM

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/activity/wildlife/expert/exp092000.htm

January 11, 2005

2005 Adventure Calendar
Winter's Best National Parks
Hiking in Patagonia
Accessories for Winter Warmth
ANWR: Back in the Spotlight
from Outside Online

Skill Builders

Expert Answers

Discussion Boards

ACTIVITIES

Expert Answers
What Are Groups of Birds Called?

Stephen's Question:
If fish"school," and there are gaggles of geese, what is the less familiar word for a "flock" of crows or ravens?

— Stephen

John's Answer:
With all this talk about Vs and flocks and flights, it's a good idea to really polish our nomenclature for birds in groups. Stephen is a GORP reader who lives in Maine, where he often sees crows and ravens. “If fish 'school,' and there are gaggles of geese,” Stephen asks, “what is the less familiar word for a flock of crows or ravens?”

Sam Fried

Sam Fried
Sam Fried has seen and photographed almost all North American birds.

Meet Sam

Previous Answers

Lemme tell ya, Stephen, you don't know how weird it gets.

It's acceptable to call a flock of ravens or crows a “flight” if they're in the air. You might also call them a “skein,” though this term is applied most often to geese and other waterfowl. You definitely don't want to call them a “muster,” since this is reserved only for a group of peacocks. You might consider calling them a “wisp.” This term can appropriately be applied to any flock of birds, though it is most often used in connection with snipe. Hmmm. Somehow the idea of saying"Hey, there's a wisp of ravens" doesn't quite cut it.

Now we're running into more and more specific terms. There's “covey,” of course, used most frequently for upland birds such as grouse, quail, partridge. And there's one of my favorites, “bevy,” which I use for most everything: a bevy of elk, a bevy of snakes, a bevy of bad jokes, etc. In strict ornithological parlance, “bevy” denotes a flock of quail or larks. Nonetheless, a bevy of crows or ravens sounds pretty good to me.

By no means are you allowed to use the terms “fall” or “watch.” The first term is applied only to a family group of American woodcock. The second term is applied only to a flock of nightingales.

Perhaps it's time we started making up some new terms of our own. How could we not fail to improve upon, or at least equal, the nomenclature of old? How about it?

I'll get things started. Here is the new, official term for a flock of English house sparrows: a “blight.”
Posted by: E. Mousie

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/11/05 06:38 PM

a murder of crows, heck, sounds appropriate.

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/11/05 07:48 PM

Quote:

Well---Auburn started scaring them off yesterday and guess where they flew to? Waterloo in my back yard---We must of had 500 hundred of them.

guess whose house they fly over heading towards Waterloo....
Posted by: Rascal

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/11/05 07:56 PM

stop feeding them McD's french fries.

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/11/05 07:58 PM

I could switch to rice..

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/11/05 09:30 PM

Best place to go....Waterloo....

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/12/05 03:56 AM

we are building south of Geneva, and there were hundreds of crows flying over there too, so they chase them out of Auburn, and they move to Geneva , they gotta go some place
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/13/05 04:28 AM

Quote:

Crows? In Auburn? Where???

Just don't look up, Gio, and bring an umbrella.
Posted by: whatasay

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/13/05 09:59 AM

Yes i did it made us look like dumb hics

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/14/05 04:44 AM

the crows they chased all the way to Geneva, are they then, going to chase them away from there and back to Auburn
Posted by: KoDSC

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/14/05 01:03 PM

Hmm. Crow Tag.
Posted by: RubyJuly

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 01/14/05 01:46 PM

Nah, keep chasing them west until they get to Iowa where they will have acres and acres of corn to eat and fields to play in and trees to roost in. Crow Heaven!
Posted by: bluezone

Re: AHHH!!!!! - 06/07/05 06:49 AM

Free bird.