bridge from Seneca falls to auburn

Posted by: sfgirl02

bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/06/08 09:17 PM

does anyone know when and for how long the bridge over the river will be closed?
Posted by: Josephus

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/07/08 03:09 PM

If you're talking about Free Bridge, I think the sign said work begins on May 12th. I attended the meeting on this about a year ago in Montezuma, and I seem to remember them thinking the work would begin in the fall. But it makes sense that it would be done at this time of year. They will be closing the bridge from 6:00 pm until 6:00 am. For how long? Until they finish the job... If you hit it after it's closed, you'll have to route through Savannah, which is quite a bit of a detour if you're headed for Auburn. Best bet is to get their before they close it.
Posted by: Harley

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/07/08 05:00 PM

I think the sign said May 12 from 6pm to 6am
Posted by: Gio

Re: stolen bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/07/08 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Harley
I think the sign said May 12 from 6pm to 6am

was stolen????
Posted by: Smileys

Re: stolen bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/07/08 07:01 PM

I'm just so thrilled to drive through Montezuma on my way home from work at night. But, I'd rather have a safe bridge in the long run.

Re: stolen bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/07/08 07:46 PM

I did a test run yesterday. It has been over 20 years since I was out that way.
Posted by: Rich_Tallcot

Re: stolen bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/07/08 10:22 PM

My boss said the detour is 13 miles. At 22 MPG, it'll cost one $2.20 in gas plus time. That's figuring gas at $3.71 per gallon.
Posted by: Ranger

bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/08/08 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Rich_Tallcot
My boss said the detour is 13 miles. At 22 MPG, it'll cost one $2.20 in gas plus time. That's figuring gas at $3.71 per gallon.

This is not gonna make the wife happy one little bit, after working all day, now she can add another 13 miles to the 20 mile commute already.

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/08/08 07:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Gio
I did a test run yesterday. It has been over 20 years since I was out that way.

How much longer did it take you?

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/08/08 11:21 AM

Not much. I was actually checking out the scenery and some of my old haunts and reminiscing about lost brain cells instead of paying attention to how much longer it took.

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/08/08 02:14 PM

LOL, Now the sign says the 14th.
Posted by: Z Genius Lusifer

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/08/08 05:49 PM

Are we cut off from Auburn?

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/08/08 05:52 PM

unless you wanna use the detour between the hours of 6pm to 6am

YES
Posted by: Red22

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/08/08 07:51 PM

We did a detour trial run yesterday coming home from auburn and it is about 20 miles out of the way. We turned right off of 5 & 20 onto Blanchard which took us into montezuma and then down 89...ugh!

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/08/08 07:53 PM

that's a gallon of gas each way....you mean to tell me to get to Auburn from Seneca Falls now is an extra 20 miles......?????

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/08/08 08:00 PM

Yeah, we would be better off leaving a car on the other side of the bridge and buying a rowboat to get across the canal. It would probably prove more efficient.
Posted by: fingerlakeshiker

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/11/08 11:23 AM

being cut off from Auburn is not a bad thing.
Posted by: Josephus

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/12/08 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Red22
We did a detour trial run yesterday coming home from auburn and it is about 20 miles out of the way. We turned right off of 5 & 20 onto Blanchard which took us into montezuma and then down 89...ugh!

Where is Blanchard?

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/13/08 03:38 AM

I tried to check the DOT website and couldn't find out any information on how long this detour will be in effect
Posted by: Greymane

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/13/08 10:47 AM

Originally Posted By: fingerlakeshiker
being cut off from Auburn is not a bad thing.

I would disagree since there is no real business left in Seneca Falls.

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/13/08 05:03 PM

The DOT Website finally posted the advisorie!

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/13/08 05:03 PM

https://www.nysdot.gov/portal/page/portal/news/traveler-advisories/2006/2008-05-132

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/13/08 05:12 PM

Overnight Bridge Work Begins Thursday May 15 on NY Routes 5 & 20, Montezuma Area (Seneca/Cayuga Counties)
The New York State Department of Transportation announced that beginning on Thursday, May 15, overnight work will begin on the bridge carrying NY routes 5 and 20 over the Cayuga Lake Outlet at the Cayuga/Seneca county line.

The closure will be in place most nights from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. Monday through Friday. On nights when the construction schedule does not demand on-site work, the bridge will remain open to traffic.

During closure hours, traffic will be routed via the following detour, approximately 13 miles in length:

Eastbound through traffic: north on Route 89, then east on Route 31, then south on Route 90 to Routes 5 and 20.

Westbound through traffic: north on Route 90, then west on Route 31, then south on Route 89 to Routes 5 and 20.

Local traffic will be able to approach both ends of the bridge on Routes 5 and 20 to ensure access to the homes and businesses in the area.

Motorists are reminded that fines are doubled for speeding in a work zone. In accordance with the Work Zone Safety Act of 2005, convictions of two or more speeding violations in a work zone could result in the suspension of the driverís license.
Posted by: VM Smith

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/13/08 06:43 PM

It will be a real pain to some, depending on timing and scheduals, but everyone should be glad that the work is being done.

Anyone who needs memory refreshment should watch this video of the Minnesota bridge collapse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nerQhIyOwxM

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/13/08 07:36 PM

It really isnt that bad of a drive.
Posted by: VM Smith

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/13/08 10:05 PM

I think of it as the scenic route, although if I had to do it every day, it would be more onerous. Still, it beats driving on the bridge, every day, with no interruption for maintanence, until someday it possibly falls into the river while you're on it.
Posted by: sparky's back

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/14/08 03:00 AM

Tuesday May 13, 2008, 3:52 PM
Auburn, NY -- Beginning Thursday, overnight work will close the bridge carrying Routes 5 and 20 over the Cayuga Lake Outlet at the Cayuga/Seneca county line.

The closure will be in place most nights from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. during the week. On weekends, and nights when the construction schedule does not demand on-site work, the bridge will remain open to traffic. Construction is expected to continue into June.

During closure hours, traffic will be routed onto the following detour, which is about 13 miles:

Eastbound traffic: North on Route 89, then east on Route 31, then south on Route 90 to Routes 5 and 20.

Westbound traffic: North on Route 90, then west on Route 31, then south on Route 89 to Routes 5 and 20.

Local traffic will be able to approach both ends of the bridge on Routes 5 and 20 to ensure access to the homes and businesses in the area.

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/14/08 11:14 AM

Another update

Subject: Freebridge Update

Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 15:21:37 -0400

The contractor has told us that the Freebridge will be closed from 6pm to 6am on May 15th and May 16th.

They will have the bridge open with no closings for the week of May 18th through May 26th.

They will let us know when they decide on closures for the week after Memorial Day.

Have a nice day,

Deputy Director Emergency Services

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/14/08 01:48 PM

Thank you Gio for the update.

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/14/08 05:08 PM

Gio is controlling the gate to his back yard......what power he has....all HAIL the GREAT GIO...gatekeeper of the mudlocks....
Posted by: ~Ellie~

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/15/08 05:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Ranger
Originally Posted By: Rich_Tallcot

This is not gonna make the wife happy one little bit, after working all day, now she can add another 13 miles to the 20 mile commute already.

Unfortunately I'm not able to avoid driving that way since I work a 10p-8a shift in Auburn \:\(

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/15/08 05:32 AM

I know the little lady will agree, wholeheartedly, she's working 9am till 7pm. This is gonna have a big effect on fuel, and mileage.

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/15/08 01:47 PM

and nookie

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/15/08 08:23 PM

I worked late tonight and took the detour home. I may have been a little off base on it not being a bad drive....

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/15/08 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Z Genius Lusifer
Gio is controlling the gate to his back yard......what power he has....all HAIL the GREAT GIO...gatekeeper of the mudlocks....

Yes, yes.... Wave to the little people....

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/15/08 10:30 PM

the minions.....of your control...

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/16/08 03:26 AM

I know the little lady will agree, wholeheartedly, she's working 9am till 7pm. This is gonna have a big effect on fuel, and mileage.

and nookie

I hadn't considered that, but, you might possible be correct. She was a bit extra tired last night, with the additional travel time. And as a matter of fact, I didn't get........
Posted by: Greymane

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/16/08 09:28 AM

That's it. If ever there was a case for a lawsuit. "Local Man Sues State for Impacting Sex Life" \:\)

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/16/08 03:49 PM

now back to your regularly scheduled program
Posted by: Gossipgrl

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/21/08 05:00 PM

Has anyone heard anymore info on the dates the bridge will be closed? I cant find info about it anywhere.

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/22/08 03:15 AM

I believe the next time the bridge will be closed is the 27th of May
Posted by: racefan73

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/25/08 05:52 AM

and nookie

I hadn't considered that, but, you might possible be correct. She was a bit extra tired last night, with the additional travel time. And as a matter of fact, I didn't get........
Well Ranger,no bridge closings this past week, no excuses!

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/25/08 06:02 AM

I'll tell her what you said, do you think it will make any difference?

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/25/08 07:12 AM

Has anyone heard if it's going to be shut down all week?

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/25/08 07:35 AM

Nothing new. Still to be closed only between 6pm and 6am starting May 27th.

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/25/08 07:41 AM

I was just wondering if they were planning on working it every night. The last Friday they had said it would be closed, but it was actually open.

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/25/08 07:45 AM

It surprised me when I got there and it was still open.

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/25/08 07:53 AM

Someone told me it was open later on Thursday also.

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/27/08 02:25 PM

Well, It looks like they are going to start again! I'm assuming it's going to be closed every evening.

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/28/08 01:33 PM

As of yesterday it still was not closed, although the sign said it would be, which I can imagine ticked a few people off.

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/28/08 01:40 PM

Yes, I heard it was open last night, even though the sign says it would be closed. It would be nice if they would update the sign or website as to when it's going to be open or closed. Some of us work nights and would like to know.

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/29/08 01:36 PM

The sign says June 2nd now.

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/29/08 03:32 PM

We have not gotten any updates at the fire department either. Typical state job... no one has a clue what they are doing....
Posted by: Gossipgrl

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/29/08 07:48 PM

Seriously.. that's pretty poor judgment on the county for not being more open and update about the plans. That route is the main function between auburn and SF area.. MANY people go back and forth there everyday. They have a right to know whats going on.
Someone needs to get their head out of their Arse on this one.
Posted by: cinlou

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/29/08 07:56 PM

I live in Montezuma and you will be driving by my house during your detour. Sorry about this but I have to put up with this too. Slow down and wave if you see me. If not slow down and honk. I will hear you!!! By the way Kristie's restaurant has pretty good food, so if you get tired stop in for a cinnamon roll and cup of coffee...she makes the baked goods herself! Anyway, I'll be watching for you. If you break down, or anything, I will run out and help you the best I can.

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/29/08 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: cinlou
By the way Kristie's restaurant has pretty good food, so if you get tired stop in for a cinnamon roll and cup of coffee...she makes the baked goods herself!

Pretty good? I think it's GREAT. Great portions and great food. Breakfasts are awesome. But it's not "Kristie's". It's the Clifford House Restaurant.

Kristie & Bruce Schmitt, Owners
8104 State Route 90
Montezuma, NY 13117

See ad on page 35 in the FL Tour Guide.
http://www.auburnpub.com/pdf/travel07.pdf

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/29/08 08:49 PM

What diner is next to the bridge on rte31?

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/29/08 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Gio
What diner is next to the bridge on rte31?

I can picture it, don't know the name and a google search doesn't help. Was going to try it once a few months ago, but parking was horrendous and I decided to pass.

They, too, may be OK. I don't know.
Posted by: SFisWonderful

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/29/08 10:58 PM

The "detour" is the state getting paid off by the gas companies!

The gas companies in the surrounding area figure if we have to travel extra miles thats more fuel that we need to buy and even more outrageous profits for the oil companies!
Posted by: SFisWonderful

Re: bridge from Seneca falls to auburn - 05/29/08 11:45 PM

Straight from the website!DOT SITE
"The closure will be in place most nights from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. Monday through Friday. On nights when the construction schedule does not demand on-site work, the bridge will remain open to traffic."

I am highly confused by this statement!

They will have the bridge open when the "construction schedule does not demand on-site work."

If there is work that can be done off-site, then why not get that work taken care of and then estimate the time needed to post this detour. Maybe someone with some construction knowledge can answer this?

I guess the state doesnt understand that fuel prices are at an all time high and this adds even more strain on to the taxpayers.

It is Kristie's Now! - 05/31/08 07:00 PM

It used to be the Clifford House when they were on Rt. 90 in the middle of town. They were renting the Clifford House and moved because the previous owner didn't pay the taxes and was trying to force them to pay the taxes. So they purchased the old bar just past the Rt. 31 bridge and named it Kristie's. Just went there tonight and ate Chicken Cordon Bleu. Yummy!

Re: It is Kristie's Now! - 05/31/08 08:55 PM

I remember when it was McCarthy's and then it was Web's. Stopped in there on Saturday night for a cold one. As I remember, it was pretty packed. One of the last roadside bars out in the country.

Re: It is Kristie's Now! - 06/01/08 08:31 AM

Originally Posted By: cinlou
It used to be the Clifford House when they were on Rt. 90 in the middle of town. They were renting the Clifford House and moved because the previous owner didn't pay the taxes and was trying to force them to pay the taxes. So they purchased the old bar just past the Rt. 31 bridge and named it Kristie's. Just went there tonight and ate Chicken Cordon Bleu. Yummy!

Ahh - my bad. They had probably just moved when I went to stop there a few months ago. That's probably why the parking lot was packed, because they are good.
Parking may be better now, but next time I'll ride the motorcycle.

back to the bridge - 06/02/08 06:46 AM

US 20
bridge construction, closed to traffic on US 20 in both directions at Cayuga-Seneca County Line starting 6:00 PM, 06/02/08 until 6:00 AM, 06/06/08
Comment: Bridge CLOSED TO ALL TRAFFIC nightly from 6 PM to 6 AM. Follow Detour

Re: back to the bridge - 06/04/08 08:13 AM

I went that way the morning of june 3, expecting to see it closed but it was not.

Re: back to the bridge - 06/04/08 08:13 AM

I went that way the morning of june 3, expecting to see it closed but it was not.
Posted by: Yetta Nother

Re: back to the bridge - 06/04/08 01:16 PM

I pass Kristies all the time on my way to Weedsport. This is the diner you are referring to correct? Have never been there...just drive by.

Re: back to the bridge - 06/04/08 04:00 PM

If you head down 31 toward Weedsport - that's the Kristie's. The food is good. But don't go there Monday night like I did. They were closed.
Posted by: reilley

Re: back to the bridge - 06/04/08 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Yetta Nother
I pass Kristies all the time on my way to Weedsport. This is the diner you are referring to correct? Have never been there...just drive by.

you come to Weedsport?
Really?
Posted by: Yetta Nother

Re: back to the bridge - 06/04/08 05:29 PM

Yes Maam.....2 times a month.

Re: back to the bridge - 06/04/08 06:38 PM

What's wrong with Weedsport?

Re: back to the bridge - 06/04/08 07:59 PM

It's Weedsport..... ;\)

Oops! - 06/04/08 08:30 PM

Sorry about that. I should've mentioned that they are closed on Mondays. They close early on Sundays (2pm). I don't get up early so I don't know when they open...probably 5 or 6am. But they close at 8pm Tuesday thru Thursday. Friday nights they are open till 9pm or later.
Posted by: reilley

Re: back to the bridge - 06/04/08 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: racefan73
What's wrong with Weedsport?

nothing racefan, I live in Weedsport,just thought if Yetta was in town, we could have tea/coffee together.

Re: back to the bridge - 06/04/08 10:18 PM

I think it is a nice village.

Re: back to the bridge - 06/06/08 03:09 AM

The little woman tells me the last 2 nights she's had to use the detour, now she's not getting home until almost 9pm. Has anyone heard or know how long this is going to last?

Re: back to the bridge - 06/06/08 09:11 AM

Not sure, but if you take Blanchard Rd you don't have to backtrack by going down 90. It is about 4 miles less.

Re: back to the bridge - 06/07/08 06:40 PM

Is it really 4 miles shorter that way? But the thing is you never really know if the bridge is closed or not unless you actually see it, and if you take Blanchard you may not know if it is open. I am planning to go that way on monday (9) is the bridge supposed to be open or not on that day?

Re: bridge from Seneca Falls to Auburn - 06/08/08 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By: fingerlakeshiker
Is it really 4 miles shorter that way? But the thing is you never really know if the bridge is closed or not unless you actually see it, and if you take Blanchard you may not know if it is open. I am planning to go that way on monday (9) is the bridge supposed to be open or not on that day?

That's the problem they don't keep the warning sign up to date, as to when the closings are.

Re: bridge from Seneca Falls to Auburn - 06/09/08 09:20 PM

Can I ask all of you a big favor? If you will, please keep an eye out for a large white male cat, black on it's nose (tip) and some black on it's head as you drive through Montezuma? He got out of the house and I can't find him anywhere. His name is Bill and he is very friendly. He is declawed (I didn't have it done. He came to me 2 years ago like that). I only have 1 picture of him with his eyes closed but I don't know if you can post pictures here. Also, his right eye has a sore under it (a tear duct problem). You can call 315-776-9419 if you spot him or email me at cinlouh@aol.com. I am the one that lives on Rt. 31 across from Verdi's signs. Oh and be careful when stopping and turning at the Rt. 31 & Rt. 90 corner. I have seen a few "almost" accidents. Thank you for your help.

Re: bridge from Seneca Falls to Auburn - 06/09/08 10:34 PM

Came through 31 and 90 on my way home Friday afternoon and there was a two possibly 3 car accident at that intersection.

Re: bridge from Seneca Falls to Auburn - 06/22/08 05:32 PM

Hope they finish soon, that detour is a pain in the butt.

Re: bridge from Seneca Falls to Auburn - 06/23/08 08:56 AM

The sign isn't on, so I wonder if they are done.

Re: bridge from Seneca Falls to Auburn - 06/23/08 01:33 PM

It's possible. It didn't look like they had much left to do. Let's hope!!

Re: bridge from Seneca Falls to Auburn - 06/23/08 08:49 PM

Let's hope the LOWEST BIDDER did a good job.....

Re: bridge from Seneca Falls to Auburn - 06/24/08 05:39 AM

hot off the air waves

WNYR just said, the bridge work has been completed ahead of schedule, and there will be no more detours

Re: bridge from Seneca Falls to Auburn - 06/24/08 04:30 PM

youse guys try it out first for a fews months.....