NY State Licensed Day Care

Posted by: Spencer~1/06/07

NY State Licensed Day Care - 04/07/07 06:41 PM

Would you take your kids if..
there were 2 full pitbulls..2 dashounds..3 cats..2 ferrets??
Just a question..
Posted by: HeavenlyPlaces

Re: NY State Licensed Day Care - 04/07/07 09:27 PM

Probably not
Posted by: Z Genius Lusifer

Re: NY State Licensed Day Care - 04/07/07 09:33 PM

Only if my kids were 2 pinchers....
Posted by: LOTE

Re: NY State Licensed Day Care - 04/07/07 09:36 PM

No way.
Posted by: donedirtcheap

Re: NY State Licensed Day Care - 04/07/07 09:38 PM

just take some doggie treats from menu foods..they'll be fine

Re: NY State Licensed Day Care - 04/07/07 09:42 PM

doggie treats like your kids?
Posted by: Z Genius Lusifer

Re: NY State Licensed Day Care - 04/07/07 09:45 PM

Tied a pork chop around the kids necks...

Re: NY State Licensed Day Care - 04/07/07 09:47 PM

Now there is a great idea!
Posted by: goingcrazyinny

Re: NY State Licensed Day Care - 04/08/07 08:46 AM

I would do extended interview spending no less than two hours in the home and monitoring other children and their interactions with the animals. I would also ask which vet they use and call the vet to inquire about the dogs' temperments, As long as all that went well I'd have no problem with it.
Posted by: Carerinoa

Re: NY State Licensed Day Care - 04/08/07 10:35 AM

That would depend on if the animals are free to interact with the children. Nothing against any of the species or breeds but kids and animals interacting in a day care environment isnt a good mixture...just my opinion.
Posted by: reilley

Re: NY State Licensed Day Care - 04/08/07 06:21 PM

according to NYS , no animals are to be anywhere around the kids at day care.
Posted by: Scottie2Hottie

Re: NY State Licensed Day Care - 04/09/07 06:02 AM

I would be more concerned about the kids interaction with ferret and the dashounds then I would be with the pits.... It is a well known fact that ferrets can be nasty to ANYONE....it is also a well known fact that smaller dog breeds can be aggressive toward children....especially small children that like to grab, pull and hug little dogs. I would prefer my kids to be in a pet-free home though regardless of what animals they have.... just easier that way and NO chance of accidents.... Unlike the Mutual of Omahas "wild kingdom" that spence described
Posted by: Carerinoa

Re: NY State Licensed Day Care - 04/09/07 06:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Carerinoa
That would depend on if the animals are free to interact with the children. Nothing against any of the species or breeds but kids and animals interacting in a day care environment isnt a good mixture...just my opinion.
I probably should have added a little more to this ...Depending on the situation ANY animal can snap...Ive seen it before with kids in a day care situation or even in their own home. The kids are just playing they trip and fall on a pet ( cat or dog )...the pet is starteled next thing you know theyve been scratched or bitten. Im not saying that always happens but you know where Im going with this.
Posted by: HeavenlyPlaces

Re: NY State Licensed Day Care - 04/09/07 07:06 AM

I also see so many pets as a distraction from the task of caring for young children. Ferrets especially are so mischievous that I can't imagine that 100% attention can be paid to the kids in your charge...it's just too much.
Posted by: goingcrazyinny

Re: NY State Licensed Day Care - 04/11/07 07:29 AM

Originally Posted By: HeavenlyPlaces
I also see so many pets as a distraction from the task of caring for young children. Ferrets especially are so mischievous that I can't imagine that 100% attention can be paid to the kids in your charge...it's just too much.

I don't see how ferrets are an issue really. They are usually kept in cages most of the time. Just keep the kids away from the cage.
Posted by: Pearl Girl

Re: NY State Licensed Day Care - 03/12/08 09:14 PM

this is not true-
nys does not say that animals cannot be around daycare children

animals need to be healthy and have a regular vet check
Posted by: sparky's back

Re: NY State Licensed Day Care - 03/13/08 03:44 AM

Yup..my dogs were present during my home inspection..there were no questions about them either.
Posted by: lilfiretech

Re: NY State Licensed Day Care - 03/13/08 10:47 AM

That is what I thought as well...I am in the process of being certified to do inhome daycare. Currently working on my state application and scheduled for my health and Safety class beginning in June and one of the 1st questions I was asked was if I had any pets? If I did ..I was told that I would need to have them in a seperate area of the home while daycare was in progress. That they could not be around the children? Not sure if it's a county rule or not...that is just what I was told.
Posted by: sparky's back

Re: NY State Licensed Day Care - 03/13/08 11:22 AM

That is very strange...my dogs were here running around during inspection..they were not even questioned..and I was never told to keep then in another room.I have also had 2 random meal inspections and never anything said about the dog.Are you doing the food program? Big check for that once a month too!..It did take me almost 3 months to get my rebate for health and safety though..good luck with your program..if ya need anything,I may have it..LOL..How is the newest member coming along?
Posted by: lilfiretech

Re: NY State Licensed Day Care - 03/13/08 01:32 PM

Everything is good here...yes I am doing the meal program, plus I qualify for a health and safety grant as well as a start up grant. Which will help with getting everything started. The newest member will be here in September, but mom and baby are currently very healthy and hope we stay that way. I will let you know if I need help, but my neighbor is the head boss for the child care council of Ontario Co. and is a great help with answering questions and such, but I'll keep you in mind if I need anything. Thanks