Disappearing scroll bar

Posted by: zipdrive

Disappearing scroll bar - 05/23/15 10:18 PM

I am running Vista. My scroll bar has disappeared. I have looked on the Internet for a solution and have reduced the width of the scroll bar from the default 17 as well as changed the screen resolution, both to no avail. Anyone have a suggestion for me? Thanks.
Posted by: DR. D

Re: Disappearing scroll bar - 05/24/15 07:10 AM

Ok, where has it gone missing from? IE, Firefox, Chrome, Etc?
If it is missing from one of those browsers does it work in another? Is your middle mouse button stuck down and if not can you scroll with the mouse wheel or page up page down button on keyboard? Any keys on Keyboard stuck? Have you shut down for a few minutes and then restarted?

Re: Disappearing scroll bar - 05/24/15 08:58 PM

Hi Dr. D. Thanks for the reply.
I have always used Firefox. Matter of fact, in the process of trying to fix this I tried to do a system restore that screwed things up to where I could not access anything from my desktop. That required me to uninstall and reinstall Firefox (had to use IObit UninNstaller for that), which is running OK now. I tried IE also and have the same issue. I use a trackball and none of the buttons are stuck. I also have restarted a number of times since this first popped up. I am able to scroll using the arrow keys.

Re: Disappearing scroll bar - 05/24/15 09:07 PM

Something else that may be of interest in this. It seems I lose the scroll bar after the initial page. For example, when I log onto FL1, the bar is there on the homepage, but if I go to a news link it is gone. The same is true elsewhere.

Re: Disappearing scroll bar - 05/25/15 06:48 AM

What are you running for antivirus and malware removal programs?

Re: Disappearing scroll bar - 05/25/15 08:48 PM

I have the pay version of AVG which runs automatically daily, and periodically run Malwarebytes, Superantispyware and Spybot Search and Destroy.

Re: Disappearing scroll bar - 05/26/15 10:55 AM

Superantispyware is is updated and comes up with nothing and neither does malware bytes.... I am banking on something running in the background... Laptop or desktop?

Re: Disappearing scroll bar - 05/26/15 08:35 PM

Desktop.....had been running fine. No issues.
Posted by: young guns

Re: Disappearing scroll bar - 06/01/15 12:00 AM

Get rid of Vista. Nothing but problems from the start JMO
Posted by: young guns

Re: Disappearing scroll bar - 06/01/15 12:01 AM

Maybe staying away from smut sites may also help. If the good old Doc can't fix it then it is broke. He's the man!

Re: Disappearing scroll bar - 06/01/15 10:57 AM

Heck I would like to physically take a look at it at this point its something I have not encountered, unless it somehow got switched to full screen while browsing but that wont replicate itself across multiple browsers. My conclusion is malware that is going undetected and is in the root of the drive or is in the command line of the program to initiate after launch.
Posted by: Timbo

Re: Disappearing scroll bar - 06/01/15 11:29 AM

Yep. It sounds like a possible click-activated script working in the background. Increased cycle or network activity might be a good indication.