Syracuse basketball '04-'05

Posted by: Gio

Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 09/14/04 09:14 AM

I know its early but......

G-Mac back from summer of rest
Time and intense rehabilitation have healed SU guard's injuries.
Tuesday, September 14, 2004
By Mike Waters
Staff writer
He's OK and willing to talk about the injuries now, but back during the 2003-04 season Gerry7McNamara McNamara kept everything under wraps.

The injured shoulder. The pulled groin. The stress fracture in his pelvic bone.

From Our Advertiser

McNamara sealed his lips and tightly wrapped his aching body, never missing a game as Syracuse advanced to the NCAA Tournament's Sweet 16.

"I didn't let out that I hurt really bad," McNamara said recently. "Once you get out there, there's no excuses. You have to fight through it."

So McNamara gritted his teeth. He stretched his tender left groin before every practice and every game. He ignored the pain that shot through his left leg every time he landed after taking a jump shot. He applied ice to his right shoulder after every game, looking like a pitcher who had just thrown 120 pitches.

While most of his Syracuse teammates spent the summer playing ball and working on their games, McNamara rested.

"I had to take a required two months off," McNamara said. "I didn't start running until the end of July. I didn't play any basketball until the beginning of August."

McNamara injured his groin in a Jan. 20 game at Seton Hall. He suffered the injury in the first half of the game.

"I told Coach (Jim Boeheim) I wanted to give it a shot," McNamara recalled. "In halftime warmups, I took a jumper and I couldn't land on the leg."

At the time, McNamara was

averaging 17.1 points per game. His end-of-season average was 17.2.

However, the injury affected his shooting accuracy. In the 15 games prior to Seton Hall, McNamara made 41.7 percent of his shots - 37.5 percent of his 3-point shots. In the next 12 regular-season games, McNamara dipped to 32.7 percent - overall and from 3-point range.

The decreasing shooting percentages weren't all due to McNamara's injured groin. The slump coincided with the heart of Syracuse's Big East Conference schedule and the midseason departure of starting point guard Billy Edelin.

McNamara's groin injury worsened as the season progressed.

"It needed extended rest to heal," McNamara said. "If you play, it makes it worse. During the season, that isn't an option."

Eventually, the muscle began pulling away from the pelvic bone, creating a stress fracture. The injury wasn't dangerous, but it was painful.

"I've had some tough injuries, but that was without a doubt the most difficult to get through," McNamara said. "It wasn't just playing or practicing. It was day-to-day. If I sneezed or coughed, it hurt."

McNamara's right shoulder also hurt. He had separated the shoulder as a high school sophomore, giving him what's referred to as a "loose shoulder."

McNamara couldn't pinpoint an exact play or even the game when the shoulder began to bother him last year, but by the end of the season, "it felt like it was just hanging," he said.

It's amazing to think that McNamara scored 24 points against eventual national champion Connecticut in a 67-56 win over the Huskies at the Carrier Dome. Or that 11 days after suffering the strained groin against Seton Hall he scored 26 points on 6-of-14 shooting from 3-point range against Virginia Tech. Or that he scored 43 points against BYU in the NCAA Tournament.

As he did with the injured groin, McNamara played on despite the bothersome shoulder. After the season ended, he was faced with a choice: surgery or rehabilitation.

"There were differing opinions over what I should do with the shoulder," McNamara said. "One was to have surgery and see what's in there. I'm not a big surgery guy. The other was to rehab it. I chose three months of strengthening and conditioning."

In his summer away from basketball, McNamara lifted weights religiously. He put on 10 pounds. He's lost six since returning to the basketball court, but his upper body looks much larger.

Time and intense rehabilitation have healed McNamara's body. He continues to work with SU's strength and conditioning coach Todd Forcier on stretching exercises to improve the range of motion in his hips. His weightlifting regimen targets his chest and shoulders.

"I feel good," McNamara said. "I work with Todd a lot. We do a lot of stuff for the shoulders and hips, trying to balance me out. We're working on my mobility.

"I'm ready to go. If the season started today, I'm 100 percent ready."

Following his extraordinary sophomore season, a healthy McNamara is saying something. Of course, an injured McNamara wouldn't say anything.

© 2004 The Post-Standard. Used with permission.

Now seeing what a good year he still had with all these injuries what kind of year will a healthy G-Mac have? I feel those goose bumps starting again.....
Posted by: maroon27

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 09/14/04 01:37 PM

I read that article today and for the first time since last March I began to get real excited about SU hoops. If G-Mac is 100% healthy I think we're in for a historic season from the best player in college basketball.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 09/28/04 08:32 AM

Only 34 more days to go until the first SU Hoops game!!!!!

2004-2005 Season preview
Posted by: Rascal

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 09/28/04 09:48 AM

Besides SU, what are the other really good teams going to be that SU has to play? I need to decide now what games I'm going to attend. I was thinking UConn and Pitt.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 09/28/04 11:19 AM

Notre Dame, Providence and Seton Hall should be good games.

It will be interesting to see how the new head coach of Georgetown does and what the crowds reaction in SU will be when they come to the dome I've got my fingers crossed for a return to the good old days with the Georgetown/SU rivalry.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 09/28/04 11:22 AM

Oh and then there is also the game with the turncoats.....
Posted by: compton23

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 09/28/04 11:49 AM

Is the best player in college basketball thing a joke? Just wondering.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 09/29/04 07:53 AM

Edelin declared ineligible for fall semester
Pending appeal, SU guard must complete requirements to be eligible by December.
Wednesday, September 29, 2004
By Mike Waters
Staff writer
What was generally known for quite some time now became official on Tuesday when Syracuse University officials announced that Billy Edelin would be ineligible for the first semester of the 2004-05 academic year.

Edelin, a junior guard on the SU basketball team, will be allowed to practice with the team until he regains his eligibility. He must sit because he does not meet the NCAA's academic eligibility requirements concerning the minimum number of credits.

Edelin, who withdrew from classes last semester for undisclosed personal reasons, has filed a petition to the NCAA for a waiver to the minimum creditrequirement. His appeal is still pending, and a favorable ruling could restore his eligibility im- 7Edelin mediately.

Advertisement

"We anticipate hearing (from the NCAA) by the end of October," SU's director of compliance, Jamie Mullin, said Tuesday.

Edelin played in 17 games and averaged 13.8 points and 5.2 assists before leaving the team last season.

If he completes his academic requirements this fall, he would become eligible once final grades are posted in mid-December.

Further complicating Edelin's academic situation is that his academic progress is being evaluated based on his enrollment at Syracuse University in the fall of 2001. Although he was suspended from the university in the fall of 2001 for the rest of the academic year, his NCAA clock started ticking that year.

He took the 2001-02 year as a redshirt year in terms of athletics, but he's considered a fourth-year student by the NCAA and must have the minimum number of credits for a senior rather than a junior. The NCAA's requirement is based on at least 12 hours per term. In that case, Edelin needed to have passed 72 credit hours before the start of the current term.

Edelin remains a junior in terms of athletic eligibility. Once he becomes eligible again, he will be able to play this season as well as the 2005-06 season.

© 2004 The Post-Standard. Used with permission.

If he does make it back will he be a help or a hindrance?
Posted by: Jelloshot

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 09/29/04 08:08 AM

oh boy, here we go again... the last thing this team needs is more off court distractions. I have faith the coach will keep the team focused and not dwell on this issue....if he does make it back, he's a solid point producer and it can only help in the long run, even if he's 6th or 7th on the depth charts...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/15/04 12:36 PM

Syracuse starts out ranked 11th. Uconn 8th.

http://espn.go.com/dickvitale/vcolumn040801Preseason-Top30.html

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/15/04 12:44 PM

I like this one better SU at #5!! Uconn 7th
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1901038

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/15/04 12:49 PM

"Keep an eye on: Forth. The word out of Syracuse is that he has done wonders with his conditioning. If he turns out to be a force inside then Warrick will benefit and Syracuse will be tougher to defend offensively. Forth was an afterthought on offense but if he could become more of an option, then the Orange are a harder matchup."

Could we actually see a couple power slam dunks from the 7 foot white guy this year????.....oooooo I'm getting all goose bumpy and giddy

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/15/04 01:03 PM

Keep an eye on: Forth. The word out of Syracuse is that he has done wonders with his conditioning. If he turns out to be a force inside then Warrick will benefit and Syracuse will be tougher to defend offensively. Forth was an afterthought on offense but if he could become more of an option, then the Orange are a harder matchup.

I havent heard this anywhere else. Has anyone?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/15/04 01:05 PM

Quote:

"Keep an eye on: Forth. The word out of Syracuse is that he has done wonders with his conditioning. If he turns out to be a force inside then Warrick will benefit and Syracuse will be tougher to defend offensively. Forth was an afterthought on offense but if he could become more of an option, then the Orange are a harder matchup."

Could we actually see a couple power slam dunks from the 7 foot white guy this year????.....oooooo I'm getting all goose bumpy and giddy

yes goose bumps definetly definetly goose bumps!!!!
Posted by: Eddie

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/16/04 09:03 AM

Beyond Forth at center, McNamara as the 2 and "X" as what, small forward, who are the other projected starters?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/16/04 09:51 AM

Forth, McNamara, Hakim, J. Wright and Nichols

Pace, Roberts, McCroskey and D. Wright subs....

what do you think? Close or way off...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/20/04 04:58 PM

Mr. Edelin is back. The NCAA has given their blessings for him to play this semester. Oh boy the possibilities.......
Posted by: Tino

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/20/04 07:16 PM

I am surprised they overturned the decision, Gio. Nothing has seemed to go this kid's way ! It's finally time for Billy to use it to his advantage !

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/20/04 08:33 PM

according to the news report they were impressed with the progress of his grades.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/21/04 09:33 AM

DOES Edelin plan to play this year or is he going to disappear again like he did last year. We never did find out what that was all about but his vanishing act hurt the team, witness G-Mac doing double duty. Will he be welcomed back?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/21/04 09:49 AM

I think he will be. We may not know the real reason for his departure but I bet his team mates do. I have also wondered if his return would have a good or bad effect on the team. I am going to remain optimistic and say it will have a good impact and just think of the possibilities......goose bumps....

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/21/04 10:03 AM

Assuming he returns and plays point guard, it looks like Josh Pace gets squeezed out of the starting line up, yes,no?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/21/04 10:22 AM

If it was a choice between Pace and Edelin I would have to say sorry Josh but Billy is a slightly better player. Not wanting to belittle Pace, who I love to watch play, but statistically Billy is a slightly better player. His free throws, assist to turnovers, points per game, etc. Now throw in Wright, Bill's absence and a summer of practice for Pace who knows for sure.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/21/04 05:47 PM

Pace is a forward, not a guard. What's the starting 5 with Edelin back and assume starting at point. More specifically who is the "other" forward opposite "X"?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/21/04 05:59 PM

Pace is a guard.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/21/04 06:00 PM

Pace is a forward.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/21/04 06:02 PM

Pace is a guard..

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/21/04 06:03 PM

Need a vote here people. Jello, Rascal, Tino, Deacon, what is Josh Pace?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/21/04 07:46 PM

2004-05 TEAM ROSTER

No. Name Class Pos. Ht. Wt. Hometown/High School
21 Josh Brooks Gr. F 6-5 180 Saranac, N.Y./Saranac Central
35 Ross DiLiegro So. F 6-8 205 Lexington, Mass./Lexington
51 Craig Forth Sr. C 7-0 259 East Greenbush, N.Y./Columbia
24 Matt Gorman Jr. F 6-9 240 Watertown, N.Y./Watertown
42 Louie McCroskey So. G 6-5 187 Bronx, N.Y./St. Raymond
3 Gerry McNamara Jr. G 6-2 179 Scranton, Pa./Bishop Hannon
4 Demetrius Nichols So. F 6-8 205 Barrington, R.I./St. Andrew’s
5 Josh Pace Sr. G 6-5 195 Griffin, Ga./Griffin
33 Terrence Roberts So. F 6-9 221 Jersey City, N.J./St. Anthony’s
1 Hakim Warrick Sr. F 6-8 209 Philadelphia, Pa./Friends Central
13 Darryl Watkins So. C 6-11 238 Paterson, N.J./Paterson Catholic
25 Dayshawn Wright Fr. F 6-6 245 Syracuse, N.Y./Oak Hill Academy (Va.)
30 Josh Wright Fr. G 6-2 170 Utica, N.Y./Proctor

Head Coach: Jim Boeheim (Syracuse, '66)
Associate Head Coach: Bernie Fine (Syracuse, ‘67)
Assistant Coaches: Mike Hopkins (Syracuse, ’93), Robert Murphy (Central State, ’96)

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/21/04 07:49 PM

Quote:

Pace is a forward, not a guard. What's the starting 5 with Edelin back and assume starting at point. More specifically who is the "other" forward opposite "X"?

Ignoring the first part(because your wrong ) and Billy starting at point I would say Gerry, Forth, Warrick and Nichols..

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/21/04 07:54 PM

Another thought, Coach B made the comment that Billy needs to concentrate on school work so I'm wondering if Billy will be benched and we see Wright starting at the point with Louie and Pace being sub in and out. Again just sooooo many possibilites...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/21/04 08:47 PM

Pace is alternately a 2 guard and a small forward.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/22/04 11:30 AM

true but he still is a guard first.....

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/22/04 11:36 AM

Thank you Tino. I seem to remember Pace kind of floating between positions last year, hence my confusion.

If I recall, Pace got more playing time last year after complaining but moreso after Edelin left the team. G-Mac was forced to play the point and Pace essentially became the shooting guard although his shot was suspect. He seemed to be caught between the guard/forward position last year, i.e., which was he?

I assumed he was to be considered a forward and would therefore lose playing time this year with sophomores Nichols and Roberts getting the bulk of the playing time opposite Warrick. With McCrosky backing up McNamara as shooting guard and the freshman from Utica, Josh Wright, backing up Edelin as point guard, where will Pace get his minutes? He's not a ballhandler (point guard) and his shot needed work. Poor kid has to be feeling left out in the cold in his senior year.

Also, although I've never been a big fan of all the labelling that goes on for position players, what is Warrick considered to be, the power forward or the small forward? Can anyone define what the "job description" is for these 2 forward positions? Who's supposed to get rebounds and who's supposed to score? I'd guess the power forward gets rebounds and the small forward is supposed to score, yes, no? Seems Warrick does them both so what is he? (God this is confusing.)

Also, Gio, didn't Mike Hopkins take a job as a head coach somewhere for this year? He's gone, right?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/22/04 11:54 AM

I always thought he was a guard, but I do recall seeing him in the small forward slot.
I dont think it was Hopkins who left?
The SU info site still has him listed ...??
"Staff Directory

Mike Hopkins
M. Basketball Asst. Coach

Mike Hopkins, one of the most popular players in SU basketball history, is now forging a new following as an assistant coach. He is in his ninth season on the Orangemen coaching staff.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/22/04 12:17 PM

Quote:

Also, Gio, didn't Mike Hopkins take a job as a head coach somewhere for this year? He's gone, right?

I dont think so but I honestly dont know for sure....

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/22/04 12:43 PM

Paraphrasing the coaches roster site...
Assistant Coach Troy Weaver left and accepted a scouting position with The NBA's Utah Jazz at the end of last year.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/22/04 12:50 PM

Now that I do remember hearing.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/22/04 01:01 PM

“Also, although I've never been a big fan of all the labelling that goes on for position players, what is Warrick considered to be, the power forward or the small forward? Can anyone define what the "job description" is for these 2 forward positions? Who's supposed to get rebounds and who's supposed to score? I'd guess the power forward gets rebounds and the small forward is supposed to score, yes, no? Seems Warrick does them both so what is he? (God this is confusing.)”

Ok Eddie, I’ll give it a shot, To me a power forward is one of the big guys not just in height but in girth, they’re the kind of player you want clogging up the inside, banging bodies, sticking to the low post area with the center, (but then again I’d play my center between hi and lo posting) The small forward is almost like a swing guard , keep em on the outside, but able to slice and move in with the power guys in the middle, and slam it home, but also able to pull back and drop the 15-20 footers. Early on, (Frosh and Soph years) Warrick was the small or wing forward, however he has matured and developed and increased his power to be one of the nations top power forwards, with the speed of the small forward, and the ability to stay outside and drop the jumpers. Jeremy O’Neil was a power forward, never had the speed or ability to be the “wing” or small forward.
I think Warrick is one of the top 5 players in the country this year… but I may be a little biased.
and your right it is confusing

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/22/04 01:08 PM

thats why I like guard, forward, center then again I'm a simple kind of guy...
Posted by: Deacon

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/22/04 04:33 PM

Pace is an off-guard (2) that can be used as a small forward (3). Think of Pace's signature move - the left-handed half hook while driving across the lane from about 12 feet. As a forward, he doesn't get that opportunity as much, because he is closer to the baseline. And also consider that Boeheim prefers the long-limbed guys to defend down low in the 2-3 zone. If Pace is a small forward, he gives up a lot of space down low in the zone. This is why Boeheim was quick to plug Nichols into the lineup last year; because of his long arms in the zone, even more than because of his (alleged) outside shooting prowess.

Pace's game is similar to Stevie Thompson, and I don't think we were ever able to figure out what position Thompson played. I think we just call them athletes and leave it at that.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/22/04 04:51 PM

Troy Weaver! I knew someone left. He was a big recruiter for them I think I recall reading.

Thx Jello. I think your right. Gio are you the one who said three positions above? Boeheim kind of said that about McNamara last year. "He's a guard", who can do it all. Kind of a throwback. Maybe that's what Hakim is too. A forward, period. He can do it all.

And I don't think he's one of the top 5 players in the country. I put him in the top 3 !

I look for big things from this team this year. I hope an earlier post about Craig Forth preparing to step up his game this year is true. Been waiting for him for a while now.

Hope Billy E keeps his head screwed on straight. Heard G-Mac talkin about a desire to show that their championship was not a Carmello thing. This kid wants another title badly and if Edelin cooperates and McNamara is allowed to play his game, and Forth becomes a force, and the sophomores step up and X is X....oooooooh BABY!!!!!

p.s. Gio, you ,simple? I'm not that gullible kiddo.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/22/04 05:50 PM

and McNamara stays healthy....remember the last half of the year the kid was playing with a stress fracture in the hip as well as a shoulder that kept dislocating and he was still a force...what will he do at 100% healthy.....

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/27/04 02:03 PM

WooHooo! Yeah baby!
http://www.syracuse.com/sports/poststandard/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/109886779286364.xml

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/27/04 02:20 PM

so long as it doesnt go to their heads....
Posted by: SW FL guy

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/27/04 05:17 PM

SU should make another run for the title this year !!
I eagerly await the season !

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/29/04 11:17 AM

four more days until the first game(yes I know its only exhibition but I still cant wait) anyone else going?

Does anyone know if we are going to get shafted again by Time Warner for the SU games? Do we need to get Jim to start calling TW now?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/29/04 11:23 AM

I would call. Give me the specifics again of who to call and how, phone #, email address and some background on what he did for us last year so we can stroke his ego. Jim who?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/29/04 11:25 AM

MR FL1 The great and all powerful Jim Sinicropi. Gentelman, Scholar and poet. A man among Men. The next best thing to a saint.....

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/29/04 11:27 AM

...and we reach him how?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/29/04 11:34 AM

I'm hoping he has already seen my post.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 10/29/04 11:43 AM

Many hands make the work lighter! Need support?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/03/04 07:46 AM

MBB | 11.2.2004
SU Defeats Le Moyne, 101-46, in Exhibition Action

SYRACUSE, N.Y. – The Syracuse Orange used six players in double figures to defeat crosstown Le Moyne in an exhibition contest, 101-46, on Tuesday, Nov. 2 in the Carrier Dome.

Cool!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/03/04 08:14 AM

Starters......

Warrick, Nichols, Forth, Pace, McNamara

Subs(who all came in together with 13 minutes left in the first half)....

D. Wright, Watkins, J. Wright, McCroskey, Roberts

Edlin was there but not playing and it seems Gorman is going to redshirt....

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/10/04 01:46 PM

Gerry Mcnamara on the front page of si.com

si.com's NCAA predictions Generally good news for SU.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/10/04 02:18 PM

"The run for a second national championship begins in earnest Thursday for the Syracuse University men’s basketball team and Finger Lakes Time- Warner cable subscribers will this year see most of the action from the comfort of their living rooms.
Finger Lakes1.com has learned that once again this year, Time Warner Cable and Rochester’s WB16 WRWB-TV will broadcast eight Syracuse basketball games that are not being carried by CBS or ESPN."

http://www.fingerlakes1.com/addedstories/20041110053325.php

Yeah baby! Way to go (again ) FL1!!!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/10/04 02:19 PM

<< two thumbs up, Jelloshot >>

More good news for 'Cuse basketball, Arinze Onuaku, a 6'9" center from Alexandria, Va. picks Syracuse over Maryland, BC, & Georgia! As a junior in highschool, he averaged 14 points and nine rebounds a game.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/10/04 02:37 PM

I found this on the syracuse.com SU forum

76035. Interesting from hoop scoop
by baltorange, 11/10/04 14:00 ET
from clark francis:

Our Ohio Editor Chris Johnson also tells us that 6'9 Arinze Onuaku from Alexandria (Episcopal Academy) VA, who is ranked #178 nationally in the senior class by the HOOP SCOOP, has verbally committed to Syracuse and this is interesting for several reasons. First, Onuaku, who made a name for himself at the adidas Superstar All-American Camp when he finished ranked #12 in camp and #3 at the center position by the HOOP SCOOP, is not a finished product, but he is a pretty good insurance policy, if the Orangemen don't get 6'9 Theo Davis from Bayside (Cardozo) NY. Second, Onuaku is not good enough to scare of Davis, if he does pick the Orangemen. Third, Onuaku also had Maryland, Georgia, Boston College, and Pittsburgh on his list, but with his verbal commitment to Syracuse, Onuaku gives the Orangemen an inside player to go along with the two great guards - 6'2 Tiki Mayben from Troy (H.S.) NY and 6'3 Eric Devendorf from Mouth of Wilson (Oak Hill) VA - that they already have in this recruiting class. Fourth, the addition of Onuaku moves the Syracuse's recruiting class into a tie at #16, along with Pittsburgh, on our list of the Top Recruiting Classes To-Date for the Class of 2005. However, let's say the Orangemen do get Davis and somebody convinces 6'11 Andray Blatche, who originally is from Syracuse (Henninger) NY, but now attends prep school at South Kent (Prep) CT, that he will be making a big mistake if he enters the NBA Draft next spring and, instead, returns home and attends Syracuse for a year or two. Then, we'd be talking about the #3-ranked recruiting class on our list of the Top Recruiting Classes To-Date for the Class of 2005, plus we'd be talking about what would likely be Jim Boeheim's best team ever a year from now. And that's a pretty strong statement when one remembers that Boeheim already has won one NCAA Championship and made two other NCAA Final Four appearances

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/10/04 02:40 PM

This is like...... pre-season foreplay....

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/10/04 03:15 PM

Quote:

This is like...... pre-season foreplay....

Why yes it is......

I like this quote from SI.com...Syracuse: Final Four. You know the rest of the Big East is in trouble when the perennially dour Jim Boeheim is expressing rampant optimism. The Orange's matchup zone also makes it an especially tough out in the tourney.

Damn if Jim is smiling now something awesome could be in the cards...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/11/04 05:01 PM

Only 90 minutes to go untill the start of the 2004-2005 season.

Lets Go SU!!!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/11/04 09:13 PM

Okay, okay yes it was a cream puff team starting their first year in division 1 but oh how enjoyable was that....

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/12/04 07:25 AM

Sweet... but....
"Syracuse forward Terrence Roberts sprained his left knee in the second half and did not return...The Orange played without guard Billy Edelin, who is out indefinitely because of academic issues. The junior was declared eligible by the NCAA last month but has not yet been reinstated by head coach Jim Boeheim..."
What is UP with the Edelin thing?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/12/04 11:08 AM

I talked to someone who went to the game last night. Besides the obvious, he said D. Nic(hols) & Mookie (D. Watkins) looked exceptional !

Edelin was there, on the bench, but not in uniform.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/12/04 11:23 AM

Does anyone else remember the Kentucky team that beat SU in the finals because their bench was so strong and SU simply ran out of air? It would be nice if SU now had that kind of depth. Inmagine another 1st string player coming into the game to sub every few minutes...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/12/04 10:21 PM

Remember it very well.....

Kentucky vs. Syracuse

- Monday, April 1 1996 -

NCAA Championship (at East Rutherford, NJ)

Kentucky - 76 (Head Coach: Rick Pitino) - [Final Rank 2nd by AP and 2nd by CNN/USA Today]
Player Min FG FGA 3pt
FG 3pt
FGA FT FTA Reb PF Ast St BS TO Pts
Derek Anderson 16 4 8 2 3 1 1 4 2 1 3 0 2 11
Antoine Walker 32 4 12 0 1 3 6 9 2 4 4 0 0 11
Walter McCarty 19 2 6 0 0 0 0 7 3 3 0 0 1 4
Tony Delk 37 8 20 7 12 1 2 7 2 2 2 1 3 24
Anthony Epps 35 0 6 0 3 0 0 4 1 7 0 0 1 0
Mark Pope 27 1 6 0 2 2 2 3 3 2 1 0 4 4
Ron Mercer 24 8 12 3 4 1 1 2 3 2 1 0 0 20
Jeff Sheppard 7 1 2 0 1 0 1 2 3 0 0 0 3 2
Allen Edwards 3 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0
Team 2
Totals 200 28 73 12 27 8 13 40 19 22 11 1 15 76

Syracuse - 67 (Head Coach: Jim Boeheim) - [Final Rank 15th by AP]
Player Min FG FGA 3pt
FG 3pt
FGA FT FTA Reb PF Ast St BS TO Pts
Todd Burgan 39 7 10 3 5 2 5 8 5 1 1 0 5 19
John Wallace 38 11 19 2 3 5 5 10 5 1 0 1 6 29
Otis Hill 28 3 9 0 0 1 1 10 2 1 0 1 3 7
Lazarus Sims 39 2 5 1 4 1 2 2 2 7 1 0 7 6
Jason Cipolla 35 3 8 0 3 0 0 1 1 2 4 0 2 6
J.B. Reafsnyder 13 0 1 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 1 0
Marius Janulis 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 2 0 0 0 0 0
Elimu Nelson 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Team 1
Totals 201 26 52 6 15 9 13 38 17 12 6 2 24 67

Halftime Score: Kentucky 42, Syracuse 33
Officials: John Clougherty, Scott Thornley and David Libbey
Attendance: 19,229
Arena: Continental Arena
References: Lexington Herald Leader

Prior Game | Next Game
Massachusetts 81 - 74 | Clemson 71 - 79 OT

Game Writeup - Malcolm Moran, New York Times
Relentless Kentucky Captures Championship

Syracuse Falls as Cats Claim Sixth Title

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J., April 1 -- No one can touch them now. The Kentucky Wildcats fulfilled the most burdensome demand in college basketball tonight. They overcame a persistent but outnumbered group of Syracuse Orangemen, a team that somehow narrowed a 13-point second-half deficit to 2 and swelled Continental Arena with the hope of one of the most memorable upsets in the history of the national collegiate tournament.

But in the final, decisive minutes, the Wildcats, christened the Untouchables tonight by their coach, Rick Pitino, overcame every last desperate obstacle in their championship season with a 76-67 victory. Kentucky (34-2) won its sixth national championship -- second only to the 11 won by U.C.L.A. -- and its first since 1978.

The victory, coming a day after Tennessee won the women's title, gave the Southeastern Conference both national basketball championships this year.

Kentucky won in a manner that was as impressive as it was uncharacteristic. The Wildcats won at the defensive end, not through offensive brilliance. They won with their fifth-lowest point total of the season. They won with a rotation of seven players for most of the night, not the normal waves of 10 or more. They persevered when the pace of the game was much closer to the Syracuse plan than theirs, when the noise from much of the sellout crowd of 19,229 was pushing against them.

Kentucky had four double-figure scorers. Tony Delk tied a championship-game record with seven 3-point baskets, scored 24 points, and brought back memories of the 41 points Jack Givens scored to beat Duke for the 1978 title. Delk was voted the most outstanding player of the Final Four.

Ron Mercer, a freshman, scored 20 on 8-of-12 shooting. Derek Anderson and Antoine Walker each scored 11. Kentucky struggled at times against the zone and often lacked its trademark balance. The Wildcats, 49 percent shooters until tonight, became champions despite making just 38 percent of their shots. That figure was the lowest by a championship team since Loyola of Chicago won the 1963 championship game shooting 27 percent.

It was the Wildcats' relentless defensive approach, a decisive factor for the second consecutive game, that earned them Pitino's nickname, one that will stand with the Fabulous Five and the Fiddlin' Five, champions from the Adolph Rupp era. Kentucky's 21.5-point average margin of victory in the six games was the fourth-largest in the history of the tournament.

The last two games became two of the hardest-earned victories they would know. Against the 2-3 zone that propelled the fourth-seeded Orangemen through the West Regional, making them the lowest-seeded team to reach the championship game in four years, Delk scored 18 of his 24 points in the first half. Four of Delk's 6 second-half points came at once, on a 3-point shot he made while falling out of bounds along the left baseline as he was fouled by Todd Burgan. Delk's foul shot gave the Wildcats a 59-46 lead with 11 minutes 12 seconds to play.

"We haven't been a 3-point shooting team with the exception of Tony most of the year," Pitino said. "We took 27 tonight and I can honestly say 27 of them were great shots. And that's rare."

The season over, the coach's definitions could be more generous. Delk was harder on himself as he remembered the 4-point play. "I kind of saw them coming, so I had to fall down because I thought Coach would have got mad, because he was running at me. It was a bad shot."

Pitino smiled. "I said we didn't take any bad ones," he said.

"That was the only one," Delk said.

The Orangemen (29-9) were able to mount a comeback under the most difficult of circumstances, with Lazarus Sims, their point guard, playing with an injured left wrist. John Wallace scored 29 points on 11-of-19 shooting and had 10 rebounds. Burgan scored 19 on 7-of-10 shooting. But it was the frustration of Sims, who suffered the injury in a collision with Anthony Epps with 13:38 to play, that made the Syracuse task that much more difficult. "We had to get to Sims," Pitino said. "Make him tired, get him exhausted and get him working. We had to cut off the interior, but we had to pressure him. And certainly any time you get him out of the game, it's a big factor."

Sims, in his previous five tournament games, had earned 39 assists with 20 turnovers. Tonight he had 7 assists and 7 turnovers, and when he went to the sideline, his left arm dangling at his side, the Orangemen temporarily lost their structure. As Sims had his lower arm wrapped tightly, in hopes of a return, the Orangemen began a streak of five turnovers on their next five possessions, a stretch that allowed the Wildcats to build their 13-point lead.

The Kentucky lead was still 10 after Anderson made a shot from the top of the key with 9:18 to play. Then came the rally. Burgan made a 3-point shot. Wallace scored on a dunk, drew a foul, and completed the 3-point play. After Walker's basket increased the Kentucky lead to 64-58, Wallace added two scores, a layup and two foul shots to pull the Orangemen within 64-62 with 4:46 to play.

One last time, Kentucky had an answer. Walter McCarty converted an offensive rebound on Delk's miss to build the lead back to 4. Anderson made a 22-foot jumper from the left side after taking a pass from McCarty.

Jason Cipolla brought the Orangemen back within 5 with a 14-foot shot along the baseline. But Mark Pope made a 6-foot jumper in the lane with 3:03 to play, and the Wildcats were ahead, 71-64.

Then Wallace was called for an offensive foul, one created by Epps, with 2:48 to play. "We should have won the game," Wallace said. "Personally, we got a couple of bad calls that could have gone either way. But calls are irreversible."

Syracuse scored one basket in the last 3:23, a 3-point shot by Burgan that brought them within 5 with 2:01 to play. Wallace fouled out with 1:06 to go. Sims, having lost much of the feeling in his left hand, was limited. "I feel I let the team down," Sims said. "I got them this far and didn't capitalize. I feel I let them down. Aside from losing my father and grandfather, this is the worst feeling."

Sim's voice was soft, his eyes pointed toward the floor as he walked slowly to the dressing room for the last time in his college career. The Wildcats, walking the other way, stopped when they saw him. Delk embraced Sims, and so did Pitino, and then the Wildcats moved on. One of their voices shouted, "Repeat." At Kentucky, the joy of one championship season is followed that quickly by the expectation of another.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/18/04 01:22 PM

The basics Syracuse (2-0) vs. Mississippi State (2-0)

When: 9 p.m. today

Where: Madison Square Garden

TV: ESPN2

Radio: WAQX-FM (95.7), WNSS-AM (1260), WAER-FM (88.3)

Internet: www.syracuse.com

Series: SU leads 2-0.

Mississippi State's outlook The Bulldogs are the best team you've never seen. They've won 74 games over the last three seasons. Only 12 schools have won more games in that time, including Syracuse (76). State went 26-4 last season, capturing the school's first outright SEC championship since 1962-63. Lawrence Roberts is a returning first-team All-American and one of three returning starters.

Bulldogs' first five games MSU 53, Fairfield 49

MSU 55, Birmingham Southern 48

MSU vs. Syracuse

MSU vs. Memphis/St. Mary's

MSU vs. Nicholls State

Worth noting Mississippi State has won 23 consecutive regular-season non-conference games. The last time the Bulldogs lost to a non-conference opponent was the opening game of the 2002-03 season ¯ a 79-76 loss to Louisiana-Lafayette. The Bulldogs have a 36-2 record outside the SEC dating back to the beginning of the 2001-02 season.

Syracuse's outlook How Syracuse looked in its first two games had as much to do with the opponent as it did with the Orange. Northern Colorado wasn't ready for Division I competition. Result: 50-point win. Princeton did what Princeton usually does ¯ make a more talented team play an unfamiliar game. Still, it's hard to argue with an 11-point win over the Tigers.

Orange's first five games SU 104, Northern Colorado 54 SU 56, Princeton 45 SU vs. Mississippi State SU vs. Memphis/St. Mary's SU at Siena

Worth noting Syracuse is 2-0 all-time against Mississippi State. Syracuse defeated the Bulldogs in the 1996 Final Four at the Meadowlands. In Jim Boeheim's second year as SU head coach (1977-78), the Orangemen beat the Bulldogs 76-66 in the first round of the Lobo Classic in Albuquerque, N.M. The next night, SU upset a Michael Cooper-led New Mexico team 96-91.

More here
Posted by: roadguy

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/18/04 03:59 PM

I like the fact they have tough opponent early. Gives Coach Boeheim and early indication of his team. Should be a good game.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 09:10 AM

sloppy first half, but what an explosion to open the second! They showed flashes of what they will become, man this season should be fun to watch!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 09:29 AM

I liked the fact that JB went with his bench early. Give them some play time against real opponents. I think Josh Pace is my new favorite player. And Forth needs to learn that when he can dunk the ball...He should every time. It gives the rest of the team a boost. That one play by Warrick was unbelievable. He was playing with their minds. I think Watkins needs some more play time to develop for next year. He just seems so much faster than Forth...

Tonights game is also on ESPN2 I think, 9 PM.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 11:02 AM

This article is 9 days old but good reading...

Which guard was Dick Vitale talking about last night?

Backcourt to get even better
A pair of highly touted guards will makes the Orange hard to beat.
Wednesday, November 10, 2004
By Mike Waters
Staff writer
Eric Devendorf and Tiki Mayben were almost teammates this year.

Devendorf, a 6-foot-3 shooting from Bay City, Mich., and Mayben, a 6-2 point guard from Troy, nearly wound up playing together at Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va. Devendorf is playing for Oak Hill this season, but Mayben ultimately decided to finish his high school career at Troy High rather than transfer to Oak Hill.

The heavenly backcourt combination will wait until next year when they are freshmen at Syracuse University.

"They are a great pair of guards, a great recruiting class by themselves," HoopScoop recruiting analyst Clark Francis said. "With Devendorf, Mayben, Gerry McNamara and Josh Wright, no one's going to have better guards than Syracuse for a long time."

Both Devendorf and Mayben are expected to sign letters of intent with Syracuse during the NCAA's weeklong early signing period, which begins today.

Devendorf averaged 30.6 points, five rebounds and 3.7 assists per game as a junior at Bay City Central High School last season. He's the ninth-ranked player in the Class of 2005, according to analyst Dave Telep of thescout.com recruiting website.

"He's not nearly as good a shooter as Gerry, but he's better at taking it to the basket and he's just as good of a passer," Telep said. "He's just a basketball player. In that respect, he is a lot like McNamara."

Devendorf will becomethe fourth SU recruit in the past four years to play at Oak Hill. He'll follow in the footsteps of Billy Edelin, Carmelo Anthony and incoming freshman Dayshawn Wright.

Francis described Devendorf as a "blue-collar competitor" with talent. "Devendorf's a tough, hard-nosed kid who shoots it really well, and he loves to take it to the hole," he said.

Mayben has talent, too, but his career at Troy has been marked by off-the-court problems. He was kicked off the team as a sophomore and quit the team last season after a 74-50 loss to Albany's Christian Brothers Academy dropped the team to 4-7.

Mayben had been Troy's leading scorer, averaging 22.3 points per game. He transferred to Winchendon (Mass.) Prep, but returned to Troy within two weeks. He considered both Winchendon and Oak Hill this fall, but stayed at home. It remains to be seen whether Mayben can make it through a full school year and a full season without disruption.

On the court, Mayben's play continues to impress the recruiting gurus. Francis saw Mayben play in the Apple vs. Empire Showcase at John Jay College on Oct. 31. Mayben, whose outside shooting is the only part of his game that gets questioned, knocked down a pair of 3-pointers.

"He knows how to play the game," Francis said. "He's terrific at the point."

Francis ranks Mayben 16th and Devendorf 10th among this year's senior class.

"If I were the Syracuse coaches, I'd be thrilled with the way the recruiting is going," Francis said. "They're definitely loaded a year from now. You've got two kids that have McDonald's All-American potential."

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 11:03 AM

Sloppy because of not being prepared or just intense physical defense...and oh boy was that physical. The way they played that first half you would have thought it was the NCAA tourny.... Your right aboutr that explosion to begin the second Holy Crap they were on fire!!!! Love to see the improvement with Nichols.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 11:04 AM

Tonights game is also on ESPN2 I think, 9 PM.

pretty sure its 7PM

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 11:12 AM

Nope. 7PM is St. Mary's vs. MS St.

9:30PM Syracuse vs. Memphis

I think I'll watch both games though

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 11:13 AM

hmmm. I couldve sworn they said 7. Oh well thanks for the heads up.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 11:14 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tvlistings/index
Posted by: Highlander

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 01:38 PM

SU is favored by 3 tonight.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 03:36 PM

SU is ranked 5th right now. Have they ever been ranked that high so soon in the season?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 04:23 PM

Quote:

And Forth needs to learn that when he can dunk the ball...He should every time.

No ship Sherlock! This was evident last year, and the year before and the year before. I thought things were going to be different with him this year. How many times have you seen a trailing defender knock the ball to the glass after Forth releases one of his layups. TOO MANY TIMES. Crimany sakes Craig YOU'RE 7 FEET OH! STUFF THE DAM BALL!!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 05:10 PM

Quote:

SU is ranked 5th right now. Have they ever been ranked that high so soon in the season?

They were ranked #1 in pre season the year they lost to North Carolina in game 1 in some sort of mini tournament in the Big Apple (I believe)

Anyone remember (I don't) what year that was ?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 05:29 PM

didnt we post an article about the "new and improved" Forth this year? i didnt see it? The only thing i noticed is that he didnt bring the ball all the way to the floor like he used to, way to much with a rebounds. He was supposed to have worked on his verticle game and strength? i mean he was solid but yeah, dunk the darn ball ! your a 7 footer! Dunk it every freaking time!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 05:30 PM

Although I share the same sentiment about Mr Forth and how he needs to dunk the ball he still does lots of the little things to help set up the others...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 05:33 PM

I posted the article I thought. It said that Forth had been doing alot of work in the off season and was much improved. Other then jelloshots observations and the facthe did score 11 points agaisnt a top ranked team I didnt see much difference either...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 06:02 PM

This is only a preseason tourney...And I feel like it is superbowl Sunday with my fav team!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 06:07 PM

ok we're showing our age Gio, I posted this in Oct.
""Keep an eye on: Forth. The word out of Syracuse is that he has done wonders with his conditioning. If he turns out to be a force inside then Warrick will benefit and Syracuse will be tougher to defend offensively. Forth was an afterthought on offense but if he could become more of an option, then the Orange are a harder matchup."

Could we actually see a couple power slam dunks from the 7 foot white guy this year????.....oooooo I'm getting all goose bumpy and giddy"

oh well....

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 06:08 PM

Gio must be busy watching the SU game righ now...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 06:21 PM

well the SMC v. MSU game is on my tv... seems more tame than last nights SU game so far ..maybe they tired themselves out with all that first half bangin!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 06:23 PM

That big center for SMC is looking better than Forth!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 06:32 PM

The announcers last night were cracking me up talking about Boeheims recruiting talents and how he has landed a hot wife!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 06:33 PM

You think that's funny? I was looking at the MS State's forum and they were saying how Beyheim's wife was hotter than their coach's wife

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 06:40 PM

LOL!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 07:05 PM

I just saw a score on ESPN saying Memphis 23, SU 6. The game hasn't even started yet. What's up with that?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 07:11 PM

Julie B is hot and coach B is not what one would classify as a handsome dude now would they...

Yea jelloshot the age factor is showing.lol Oh well I have to get back to the Memphis SU game....hey did you see the score 23 to 6

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 07:35 PM

Gio...It's not how you look...It's how bad you treat them... lol

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 08:34 PM

beautiful bride...!!!!

Vitale is out of control in love with JB's wife!!!!

lololol

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 10:57 PM

Awesome game tonite! Soild all around team effort agaisnt a top 25 team determined to take down the Orange.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 10:58 PM

That Karne player was awesome too...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/19/04 11:05 PM

Yes he was. Its ironic that him and Warrick were cut from the mens under 20 team two years ago and now they are two of college's finest players

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/22/04 05:26 PM

Imagine the New York State Lottery Guy announcing >>>>>>>>

The Syracuse Orange are NOW ranked # 4 in the AP poll !!!

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, it's only a number !
Posted by: Don

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/22/04 06:01 PM

and.... Billy Edelin is back in practice.

Anyone who doesn't think he'll make this team better when he gets back on the court is crazy. Billy's the final piece of the best Orangemen team ever assembled. He'll help up top of the zone on defense and is a great rebounder which has been a weakness of the Orange so far this year. Get ready for one of the greatest seasons in school history!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/22/04 06:06 PM

When should we expect to see Billy in an active starting role in the SU line up, January ??

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/23/04 07:33 AM

Edelin back, really, finally? That IS monumental for this team. It allows G-Mac to assume his normal position and really start taking the pressure off X. Shooting guard (and boy can he shoot!).

I also have started to rethink my criticism of Forth especially after seeing him set that pick for McNamara. Gio is right. Forth does do the little things that helps the team win. If he does not have to score he can focus more on those little things and be another cog instead of what we all seem to feel is the need for him to be a 16 point per night offensive contributor...but I still wish he woul dunk more often. maybe there's a pill he can take to overcome this disease but he's living proof that "White Men Can't Jump".

p.s. I hope Josh Pace as 1st man off the bench as a senior can adjust to his new/old role. He's really been superlative so far this season.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/23/04 09:04 AM

With Edelin back I wonder how the Orange's bench stacks up against the best of the NCAA?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/23/04 10:53 AM

Edelin coming back will help the team as long as his head is back on straight.

Boeheim has said the sophmores are the key to winning this year. Nichols we know about and have seen a lot since late last year. Watch for a lot more of Roberts. Especially if Forth is getting beat underneath late in games. I know Roberts is a forward, but it looks like coach is using him in the center roll more this year.

What does everyone thing of Josh Wright so far?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/23/04 11:16 AM

Quote:

Edelin back, really, finally? That IS monumental for this team. It allows G-Mac to assume his normal position and really start taking the pressure off X. Shooting guard (and boy can he shoot

I think G-Mac plays both posistions extremly well. I believe he was a point guard for his entire H.S. career. I was reading an article (ESPN.com?) where he and Warrick said they didnt understand why people thought being point wasnt natural for him. ...but any hoo...being the point your the general feeding your troops so yoiu dont always get that 3-pointer that people remeber better then that awesome pass or that quick thinking direction to your forward to set up a great dunk.

Edlin coming back will definetly make SU that much better...providing he has kept in shape....

and I agree Eddie why cant he just dunk once maybe twice thats all we are asking...

Josh Wright I still dont know. Havent seen him play enough yet. He did fine agaisnt UNC.... ... but didnt see much action in the other games...I think he had a total of 10 minutes and maybe 2 or 4 points...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/27/04 08:26 AM

I wonder if we see Mr Edelin in todays game agaisnt Siena? I have my fingers crossed that he has kept in shape. Siena likes an up tempo game . I think they have 5 or 6 players who are guards? They like to pressure the ball a lot could be trouble for Gerry. Any thoughts????

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/27/04 12:56 PM

There you go Eddie...The first time Forth gets the ball he actually slams it home!!! My son and I sat there with mouths open.....

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/27/04 03:45 PM

HideHo gang. Been outta town doing the "over the river and through the woods" thing. So Gio, looking at the time of your post Syracuse has already played Siena today. How'd they do? Edelin play? Forth slams, that's good! Report back G-Man.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/27/04 05:02 PM

They came out srtong in the first half. G-Mac had 18 points 3-3 three pointers with a four point play. Took it to the hoop several times and finished with 29 points. Had 6 three pointers for the game. Warrick and Pace both had 13 and Forth had 7. Second half they kind of looked flat at first but picked it up as the half progressed. They ended up winning by 22 points 78 to 56. Billy Edelin did not play but was in uniform.

Dayshaun Wright played and was impressive. He only scored 2 on free throws and did turn the ball over 3 times but he just has that look that he will be a force some day. Josh Wright....well lets just say he needs some more work. Did not score at all, no assists and had trouble handling the pressure from Siena's freshman guard he turned the ball over three times...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/29/04 01:38 PM

Sirius signs deal for men's NCAA basketball tournament through 2007

November 29, 2004
NEW YORK (AP) -- Sirius Satellite Radio signed a deal to air the men's NCAA basketball tournament through 2007, the latest move made in an attempt to draw customers through sports programming.

Sirius will broadcast every game of the tournament for the next three years, the network said Monday. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Sirius and its competitor, XM Satellite Radio, recently started signing personalities and sports leagues in an effort to attract new subscribers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=ap-ncaatournament-satelliteradio&prov=ap&type=lgns

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/29/04 01:48 PM

Q&A with Hakim Warrick

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/29/04 02:08 PM

I saw Forths dunk on the hi-lite reel...brought tears to my eyes...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/29/04 02:19 PM

Did anyone see little GMac's dunk?

Syracuse now ranked 3rd! - 11/29/04 03:12 PM

*** Associated Press Top-25 College Basketball Poll ***

(Complete through Monday, November 29th)

Prev
Team (First-place Votes) Record Points Rank
------------------------ ------ ------ ----
1. Wake Forest Demon Deacons (40) 5-0 1,737 1
2. Kansas Jayhawks (18) 2-0 1,678 2
3. Syracuse Orange (4) 5-0 1,582 4
4. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (7) 3-0 1,580 3
5. Illinois Fighting Illini (1) 4-0 1,540 5
6. Oklahoma State Cowboys (2) 3-0 1,420 6
7. Connecticut Huskies 1-0 1,329 7
8. Kentucky Wildcats 3-0 1,284 8
9. North Carolina Tar Heels 4-1 1,134 11
10. Duke Blue Devils 3-0 1,129 9
11. Michigan State Spartans 3-0 1,073 10
12. Maryland Terrapins 3-0 1,018 13
13. Pittsburgh Panthers 3-0 782 16
14. Washington Huskies 4-0 770 22
15. Mississippi State Bulldogs 5-1 743 14
16. North Carolina State Wolfpack 4-0 722 17
17. Louisville Cardinals 3-1 584 12
18. Texas Longhorns 3-1 507 15
19. Florida Gators 3-0 447 23
20. Notre Dame Fighting Irish 3-0 442 21
21. Arizona Wildcats 3-2 413 18
22. Alabama Crimson Tide 4-1 381 19
23. Iowa Hawkeyes 3-1 367 NR
24. Virginia Cavaliers 4-0 235 NR
25. Wisconsin Badgers 2-1 114 20

Re: Syracuse now ranked 3rd! - 11/30/04 06:38 PM

Mr. All American
Syracuse's Gerry McNamara is the go-to guy everyone loves to watch

Posted: Tuesday November 30, 2004 3:07PM; Updated: Tuesday November 30, 2004 3:07PM

When Syracuse's 6-foot-2 junior guard Gerry McNamara threw down his first collegiate dunk last Saturday in a game against Siena, the patrons watching the game on TV at Cosgrove's Clubhouse & Tavern in Scranton, Pa. -- many of whom may have also witnessed his two or so dunks in high school -- roared. "The place went nuts," says Peter Cosgrove, the owner of one of the hubs of the unofficial but enormous and ever-expanding Gerry McNamara fan club. "You just don't expect that from him."

You do expect all the other things McNamara did in that 78-56 victory, the fifth straight for Syracuse. He scored 29 points -- including his 200th through 205th career 3-pointers -- was perfect from the line (5-for-5), and made headlong, body-be-damned dives for the ball, including one that flattened a courtside photographer and another that took out the Siena band's woodwinds.

After taking three months off this summer, McNamara got off to a slow start this season, scoring 27 points in his first three games. In the last two, however, he has averaged 25. In Albany on Saturday he displayed the same competitive zeal against a winless mid-major as he did in his first two must-win games in last year's NCAA tournament in Denver. Remember those? Against BYU he saved the defending national champs from an embarrassing first-round exit by scoring 43 points, including nine 3-pointers, in an 80-75 win. Two nights later against Maryland he battled fatigue, dehydration, asthma, foul trouble and the suffocating pressure defense of D.J. Strawberry and Chris McCray to give the Orange 13 points and 35 minutes, every one of which, coach Jim Boeheim would later declare, was critical to Syracuse's advance to the Sweet 16. "He couldn't get a breath, but he was the guy making plays for us," said Boeheim. "If he had been out one minute, we would have lost the game."

There aren't many players like McNamara, at least not in the Syracuse family. His freshman year, the team's media guide presented the current players as "clones" of former Syracuse players. To find reasonable comparisons for most of the team, the sports information department had to reach back to the '80s or '90s. To find anyone like McNamara, they had to go deep, all the way back to the early '70s, when Boeheim was an assistant clad in plaid, and freshmen weren't allowed to play. McNamara, the staff decided, was a "clone" of Jim Lee, a scrappy, not-so-tall All-America guard who played from '72 to '75 and was the leading scorer in the '75 Final Four.

At this rate, McNamara should make some All-America lists, though he still isn't seeing much time at his natural shooting guard position. With the return of point guard Billy Edelin, who left the team midway through last season and has been sidelined this semester because of academic problems, and the arrival of touted freshman Josh Wright, McNamara was supposed to get some relief at the point. So far Wright has been used sparingly, averaging just 9.5 minutes and 1.8 points a game, and Edelin just returned to practice a week ago. Until that unknown date when Edelin plays in a game, McNamara will still be doing most of the heavy lifting in the backcourt.

But that's what people have come to expect of McNamara in his hometown of Scranton, which offers up as many as 2,000 citizens, most of them former Notre Dame or Penn State diehards, into the Carrier Dome every home game. "He's not a 40-minute a night guy, no one is at that level," says Cosgrove. "But he has done that on occasion."

McNamara's fans will take whatever he offers: 3-pointers, foul shots, assists, hustle, minutes, dunks. The winters are long in northeastern Pennsylvania. "The last two have been pure hell, snow on the ground for months," says Cosgrove. "But Gerry makes them go by quicker. Twice a week he gives people something to look forward to."

Cosgrove dares anyone to name a college basketball player in the country who has had as big an impact on fans' lives -- or on a single school's gate receipts -- as McNamara has. "I talk to friends in Allentown, in Philadelphia, in Washington, D.C., and they all follow Gerry," says Cosgrove. "Kids everywhere love him, maybe because he looks like a kid himself." Or maybe -- let's hope -- because he has a game and an attitude worth emulating, even though he doesn't dunk much.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/30/04 06:53 PM

Quote:

Did anyone see little GMac's dunk?

Yes I saw it....but can we really call it a dunk???

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 11/30/04 09:13 PM

Nice post Rascal. It really is too bad that McNamara has had to do the "heavy lifting". Gosh I hope Edelin gets back soon and we get to see this team banging on all 8 cylinders with the timing belt in sync.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/01/04 08:54 AM

I've been watching a lot of NCAA basketball on ESPN lately and have noticed a few things...Namely that the other top 10 teams like Georgia Tech, Kansas, Wake Forest all seem to look much better than SU when they play cupcake teams. For some reason SU seems to struggle when playing teams like Sienna. Not that winning by over 20 is truly struggling, just that the other top 10 teams look so vicious compared to SU. Even Duke & NC look better than SU does right now, even though they are both ranked lower then SU. SU did look better when they played to top 25 teams Memphis and Mississippi St. I hope SU doesn't continue to play down to their competition and get beat by an easy team like they have in the recent years past.

Also, I'm sick of Vitale's constant praise of the ACC. I want every one of their teams to lose big now. I want more Big East-ACC action so we can show them that the Big East is no cupcake squad. After all the BE did win the last 2 championships.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/01/04 11:20 AM

Vitale has his head so far up the collective butts of the ACC coaches that every time they open their mouths you can see Vitale's shiny bald head.....

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/01/04 07:29 PM

Responding to Rascal I too have been watching games recently, like the ACC Big 10 games going on right now. Wake v Illinois, 1 v 3. I also was thinking how can SU even consider themselves in the same class with either of these teams, based solely on watching the game tonight. Answer - 2-3 zone and good coaching.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/01/04 08:13 PM

Amen brother!!!

Sophs and the Wright brothers looked pretty good tonite. Was it just me or did Warrick and G-Mac seem a little "off" almost pissy in the first half.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/02/04 07:18 AM

Didn't see the game. Was it on the tube? Read the box score. Music to MY eyes was that...EDELIN played! YEAH BABAY, he's back! He can get the rust off in the "pre season" and be ready to go in January, when it matters. SAAAHWEEEEET!!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/02/04 10:16 AM

To respond to what Rascal said "For some reason SU seems to struggle when playing teams like Sienna".

Here's my take and it was evident last night against the Bonnies. You are seeing a lot of different guys on the floor. If you notice coach B tries a lot more variations against these weak teams. That is the teacher. He wants to see what he has to work with, not only this year but next.

I give him a lot of credit for letting them play. Give them the minutes, that is the only way to learn to play at this level.

It also shows a lot of class not to blow out these teams.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/02/04 10:47 AM

Quote:

Well that class can be seen as weakness by rival teams. And seeing that "weakness" can give other teams more confidence than they deserve...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/02/04 10:47 AM

Ohhhhhh YEAH!!!!
Men's Basketball Signs Three

Syracuse, N.Y. – Syracuse men’s basketball coach Jim Boeheim has announced that Eric Devendorf of Bay City, Mich., Tiki Mayben of Troy, N.Y. and Arinze Onuaku of Washington D.C., have signed national letters-of-intent to play for the Orange beginning next season.

Eric Devendorf, a 6-3, 180, guard, is attending Oak Hill Academy (Va.) this year. Oak Hill was ranked second in the preseason USA Today High School Poll and has started the season with a 2-0 record. Devendorf is averaging 20.0 points an outing. Prior to his senior season, he was enrolled at Central High School in Bay City, Mich. As a junior, he averaged 30.6 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.7 assists. Devendorf set the school career scoring record in just three seasons at Central. He played AAU basketball for the Michigan Hurricanes, and was invited to compete for the 2004 USA North Team in the USA Youth Development Festival.

Eric Devendorf was ranked 16th in the class of 2005 by Rivals.com and 18th by Hoopmasters.com. His shooting guard rankings include fourth by The Insiders Hoops and sixth by Rivals.com.

Tiki Mayben is a 6-3 guard on the Troy High School men’s basketball team. Mayben was Troy’s leading scorer, averaging 22.3 points per game last season. Mayben was invited to compete for the 2004 USA East Team in the USA Youth Development Festival. He has played summer basketball with the AAU team the Albany City Rocks.

Tiki Mayben was ranked 33rd overall by Hoopmasters.com and 58th by Rivals.com. His point guard rankings include ninth by Rivals.com and 16th by The Insiders Hoops. He is ranked the fourth-best player in New York by Rivals.com.

Arinze Onuaku, a 6-9, 255, forward/center, is attending Episcopal High School (Va.). He was an all-state honorable mention selection as a junior. A season ago, Onuaku averaged 14 points and nine rebounds per game. He played AAU basketball for the D.C. Assault.

Arinze Onuaku is ranked a two-star recruit by Rivals.com and the 13th-best center by The Insiders Hoops.
end.

Ok, can it get much better?? This stuff is almost too good to be true!!!!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/02/04 10:52 AM

Boeheim is probably having wet dreams every night.

Do I feel a dynasty starting to form?

And with a bigger better Big East next year Dickie V can finally start moaning about the Big East instead of his beloved ACC...

Dynasty BABY!!!!!~!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/02/04 01:05 PM

roadguy, I heard a female reporter asked Coach B after one of the Cancer Classic games why he only used seven players. His response was, "That's the last time that question will be asked this year!"

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/02/04 03:13 PM

Quote:

To respond to what Rascal said "For some reason SU seems to struggle when playing teams like Sienna".

Here's my take and it was evident last night against the Bonnies. You are seeing a lot of different guys on the floor. If you notice coach B tries a lot more variations against these weak teams. That is the teacher. He wants to see what he has to work with, not only this year but next.

I give him a lot of credit for letting them play. Give them the minutes, that is the only way to learn to play at this level.

That is also my observation...You can see how he tries different combinations and plays with his bench. I've also heard him say in several interviews how he uses these games to ready his players for the BE play. Matt D. last night also made the comment how coach B was preparing for March and beyond just not for the game at hand...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/03/04 09:13 AM

Rascal..I wouldn't call a 24 point win using a bunch a underclassman a sign of weakness.

Do you think beating a team like the Bonnies, by say 40 points would scare a power conference team? I doubt it.

The rest of the Top 25 knows what they are getting when they play the Orange.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/03/04 09:38 AM

I don't know. But it just seems that SU can "scrap" with the best of them on defense and display finesse on offense. It just reminds me of old fashioned basketball. I'm not saying it isn't effective, but a team where everyone can slam dunk and hit 3 pointers and dribble effectively with both hands and having a center that isn;t constantly getting stripped of the ball is a little more intimidating than the way SU plays.

If I were JB I would be playing Watkins a lot more than Craig Forth. He is way more athletic and dominating than Forth.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/03/04 11:19 AM

Quote:

If I were JB I would be playing Watkins a lot more than Craig Forth. He is way more athletic and dominating than Forth.

I'm curious as to what Watkins said to get that "T" the other night. He seems so quite. Did you see how fast he was getting back down on defense? If he was just a split second faster two of the goal tends would have been clean blocks...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/04/04 12:17 PM

Where was the SU TV schedule posted? Somewhere on the Forum I thought I saw it about a month ago. Anyone? Gracias.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/04/04 12:28 PM

Quote:

"

http://www.fingerlakes1.com/addedstories/20041110053325.php

here is a link for ya....

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/04/04 12:38 PM

Yet another for future reference:

http://www.bigeast.org/sports/mbball/releases/10-28-04.asp

(good Indiana - Connecticut game on right now)

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/05/04 08:30 AM

Coach B not too happy with the boys last night. Their man to man is well how can you put it nicely....it sucks!, its non-existent!, its well it needs work. Does anyone foresee this being a problem?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/05/04 01:52 PM

No problems. Edelin, GMac and Pace are all good man defenders. Josh Wright also appears to be quick enough to stay with top guards that SU will face.

Don't worry about the closeness of the Colgate score. Tuesday night at 9:00 this team is gonna show the country something. I can't wait for Ok. State!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/05/04 01:59 PM

Did anyone see the game? Why did Forth only get 9 minutes of play time?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/06/04 07:38 PM

Okie State has been blowing people out. On the heels of all the discussion about SU winnng while struggling to put lesser teams away, this may be a concern against a team that apparently does know how to put teams away. I think a key for Syracuse tomorrow night is to keep this game close early, not let them get on any runs or it could get real ugly real quick. I'm worried gents.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/06/04 07:53 PM

Hopefully our deep bench can tire their starters out and draw lots of fouls.

Game is on ESPN 9PM or so tomorrow night.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/06/04 10:43 PM

Let's beat up dick vitale! Not exactly work safe for foul language

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/07/04 12:24 PM

http://www.suathletics.com/Pdfs/basketball/mbasket/2004/12/6/OKstate.pdf

Good review for tonight's big game.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/07/04 09:48 PM

Well at the half SU is up by 1. They should be up by 13 but they seem to have forgotten how to make a freethrow!!!!! 2 for 12 I think I need to find those tums again....

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/07/04 09:56 PM

Sloppy first half! Warrick needs to come out strong to start the second half! Tums..nah, scotch!
Posted by: exyankeeguy

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/08/04 12:33 AM

the second half was not very good..damn

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/08/04 07:45 AM

Free throws killed them. It became contagious. Also think there was a lack of continuity. Maybe too much shuffling of players in and out. Started to look like a Mynderse varsity game when the previous coach, what's his name, was calling the shots.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/08/04 11:16 AM

Other then the freethrow fiasco I thought the game was pretty good. The defensive side was awesome and both teams should be extremly proud of that. Josh Pace(ya just got to love this kid)was unstopable with his unorthodox floater. Edlin still needs time to catch up he wasnt much of a factor and J wright seemed very comfortable out there. Warrick seemed out of it. He got frustrated too easy and that affected his game. I wonder if he was feeling under the weather. G-Mac was the work horse he always is, Forth played like crap but Watkins and Roberts played well(other then that stupid stupid foul that forced Roberts out of the game). Oklahoma State is defenitly a very good team but I know they could have beaten them if they only made those DAMN FREETHROWS!!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/08/04 11:33 AM

It would have taken more than that. If SU was hitting the freethrows Oak St. may have been less apt to foul SU to begin with. Also, Oak St also missed a lot of free throws.

Our zone defense was working good and I can't figure out why JB ordered the full court press and keep pressing even after it was clear it was a mistake. After a couple mistakes on the part of SU and the resulting points by Oak St. it was clear SU lost the momentum.

We also have too much substituting. Forth is worthless and should not be starting. SU needs more than GMac to be able to hit 3s. And we need someone besides Warrick down low that can score at will. And GMac needs to not be the point guard. He is just not fast enough.

It's almost as if SU has the right players but they're being asked to play the wrong roles. And if we can't run a man-to-man defense a full court press will be even harder against a fast team. A full court press works good against slow teams like SU(because of Forth)

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/08/04 11:37 AM

I think SU's starting 5 should be:

Edelin/J.Wright-Point guard
GMac-shooting guard
Pace-shooting guard
Warrick-Forward
Watkins/Roberts-Center/forward

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/09/04 11:36 AM

Quote:

It would have taken more than that. If SU was hitting the freethrows Oak St. may have been less apt to foul SU to begin with. Also, Oak St also missed a lot of free throws.

I dont think so Rascal. Thats part of Warricks "thing". He gets in the paint and twist and turns and draws fouls unfortunatly he didnt follow thru and hit the freethrows. Lots of teams put a man or two on Warrick because of that so even if he did get the freethrows they still would be fouling him because he makes it happen.

Our zone defense was working good and I can't figure out why JB ordered the full court press and keep pressing even after it was clear it was a mistake. After a couple mistakes on the part of SU and the resulting points by Oak St. it was clear SU lost the momentum.

From what I've seen in past games agaisnt quality teams if he throws in the press its because they are desperate..

We also have too much substituting. Forth is worthless and should not be starting. SU needs more than GMac to be able to hit 3s. And we need someone besides Warrick down low that can score at will. And GMac needs to not be the point guard. He is just not fast enough.

Wow I have all sorts of problems with that. G-mac is a point guard. He may not be as quick as say J wright or Edlin but those two are not ready yet. Too much subbing? How many years have peole complained that Coach B did not use his bench? I see nothing wrong with bringing guys in and out like he did. As for hitting the three Nichols and McCrosky can but still play inconsistenly. Scoring at will in the paint we have Roberts as well as Pace(again ya just got to love that kid). Forth I wish would be more of a scorer but like I have said in the past does those little things. Now if Watkins keeps improving I think he will be great at the center. He seems more active and is definetly quicker then Forth.

It's almost as if SU has the right players but they're being asked to play the wrong roles. And if we can't run a man-to-man defense a full court press will be even harder against a fast team. A full court press works good against slow teams like SU(because of Forth)

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/09/04 12:56 PM

When you foul someone and they are making their freethrows it is less appealing to keep fouling them. Also your fouls start to build up. If your biggest star Warrick can't make free throws then the other team can keep subbing their bench in to keep fouling Warrick. It will keep his score way down. It is effective and clearly it worked for Ok St.

GMac is not a point guard. That is not the position he plays best. He only started playing it midway through last season when Edelin went absent. And it hurt SU because of it. GMac tires and is not as quick as edelin. Also, playing point guard as opposed to shooting guard results in fewer successful 3 pointers from him.

As for subbing, the reason we are having so many subs who are struggling now is because we never subbed much as all last year. This year's sophomores have very little experience now and it shows. And now JB may be trying to make up for it and it is hurting us now as there is little team chemistry when the starting five aren't in the game and fresh...

And we need more than little things from Forth. He hasn't scored in 3 games and clearly when that happens we can barely compete with Colgate, let alone a top 25 team. Also, when Forth can't score it allows the other team to double Warrick.

Every problem SU has they try to fix and it creates other problems. Lose edelin, replace with GMac. Now we have 1 less good shooter. Let Forth start the game and Warrick gets doubled and we have a slow defense that can't press. Take Forth out and we have inexperience and a smaller team. And when your other "shooter"(Nichols) can't knock down any points the defense focuses on GMac and Warrick and shuts them down too.

SU needs another shooter(or a real point guard) and a real center/power forward. The fact that there are 2 problems to fix is what is hurting SU.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/09/04 04:42 PM

Quote:

When you foul someone and they are making their freethrows it is less appealing to keep fouling them. Also your fouls start to build up. If your biggest star Warrick can't make free throws then the other team can keep subbing their bench in to keep fouling Warrick. It will keep his score way down. It is effective and clearly it worked for Ok St.

I agree but normally he is 64% from the line not great but okay and he usually does manage to get to the basket I think he just was having an off night

GMac is not a point guard. That is not the position he plays best. He only started playing it midway through last season when Edelin went absent. And it hurt SU because of it. GMac tires and is not as quick as edelin. Also, playing point guard as opposed to shooting guard results in fewer successful 3 pointers from him.

He is a point guard but I agree he is much better when someone else is running the point however Edlin isnt ready yet.

As for subbing, the reason we are having so many subs who are struggling now is because we never subbed much as all last year. This year's sophomores have very little experience now and it shows. And now JB may be trying to make up for it and it is hurting us now as there is little team chemistry when the starting five aren't in the game and fresh...

And we need more than little things from Forth. He hasn't scored in 3 games and clearly when that happens we can barely compete with Colgate, let alone a top 25 team. Also, when Forth can't score it allows the other team to double Warrick.

Cant compete with top 25 teams???? Hello Miss State and memphis where top 25!!!

Every problem SU has they try to fix and it creates other problems. Lose edelin, replace with GMac. Now we have 1 less good shooter. Let Forth start the game and Warrick gets doubled and we have a slow defense that can't press. Take Forth out and we have inexperience and a smaller team. And when your other "shooter"(Nichols) can't knock down any points the defense focuses on GMac and Warrick and shuts them down too.

Its one game Rascal. The Cowboys are a very good team and it was a battle for both the Cowboys just happen to be the ones to get it done ...this time.
SU needs another shooter(or a real point guard) and a real center/power forward. The fact that there are 2 problems to fix is what is hurting SU.

I do agree they need another point guard to free up G-mac but I bet teams still dog him and ride his back just because he is so deadly from beyond the arc.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/10/04 09:53 AM

I agree but normally he is 64% from the line not great but okay and he usually does manage to get to the basket I think he just was having an off night

He is a point guard but I agree he is much better when someone else is running the point however Edlin isnt ready yet.

GMac is only a point guard when SU's regular point guards can't play. GMac is a shooting guard. He is not fast enough to be an effective point guard against top 25 teams

Cant compete with top 25 teams???? Hello Miss State and memphis where top 25!!!
Even Jim Boeheim has stated that they were overrated at the time

Its one game Rascal. The Cowboys are a very good team and it was a battle for both the Cowboys just happen to be the ones to get it done ...this time.
Actually SU has struggled the last 3 games! 2 of which were rated below 300!

I do agree they need another point guard to free up G-mac but I bet teams still dog him and ride his back just because he is so deadly from beyond the arc.
Unfortunately this team has no other good shooters. Nichols and McCroski both show some signs of improvement but are way too inconsistent. Pace can not hit 3's and only seems consistent when he goes to the left. Edelin is not much better. SU will have a good record at the end of the year because they play mostly cupcake teams in the preseason, and nobody else in the big-east is top-10 caliber. Even UConn lost last night to UMass!!!!!!!!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/10/04 11:14 AM

Every big name school plays "cupcake" teams in the preseason. Its basically glorified scrimages to get ready for league play and the NCAA tourny.

Yes G-mac is better when he doesnt have to run the point. But he still can do it.

Your right Pace and Edlin can not shoot the three and Louie and Nichols are incosistent. I'm hopeing they get that under controll.

I knew you would throw that out there about JB comments on those two teams.

Yes Umass beat Uconn but then again Maryland got beat by George Washington. It happens. Umass is not that bad a team.

Come on guys, Eddie, Don, Tino...any comments. I'm dieing out here making a fool of myself jump in please!!!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/10/04 11:32 AM

Gio I don't think you are making a fool of yourself. You're just being delusional about SU's prospects this season. SU is a legit top 25 team but just not a top 10 team. At least not the way they are playing now.

GMac should not be the point guard. He is not fast enough and when he tries to be his asthma acts up. This results in a less effective game for him. Just because JB puts him in that position does not mean he is a true DIV 1 Top 10 team point guard. He is a guard trying to fill the shoes of a true point guard. Edelin or Josh Wright are the true point guards for SU and now neither is playing good ball.

Forth is playing horrible. He doesn't even jump on defense and hasn't scored in 2 weeks! Watkins is a much better athlete but is too inexperienced.

My point about UMass was simply to show how bad the Big East is this year. That is the only reason SU will have a good record at the end of the year. Well that and all the cupcake teams. Besides OK St. we have played all cupcake teams. Memphis, MS St, and Princeton were all way overrated and we struggled with each of them as well. We even struggle with Colgate andf Sienna!!! We can't make foul shots. We can't run man-to-man defense or run the press effectively. We are slow, especially with Forth in the game. We get beat all the time in the transition defense.

We've basically got a great forward in Warrick, and a good shooting guard in GMac. And a decent guard/forward in Pace. That's it for now.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/10/04 04:19 PM

Delusional??? Hey just because people cant accept the fact that Coach B is the greatest college basketball coach to ever grace the hardwood does not make me delusional!!!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/11/04 06:28 PM

http://waer.org/webcast.html

SU game is webcasted right now and also on 95.7 FM

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/12/04 09:09 AM

I listened to it on the radio but it just isnt the same as watching it. He replaced Nichols with Louie to start I wonder if Forth gets replaced with Watkins next game.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 12/17/04 02:02 PM

ESPN predicting a #2 seed in the NCAA tournament

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/05/05 12:03 PM

Big East play begins tonite! St. Johns at the Garden. Any thoughts after St. Johns upset of North Carolina?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/05/05 12:11 PM

I havent looked at the SJ scouting report yet, but SU better get their dodo together, as always Big East play takes it up a BIG notch in the competitive level. And with SU's ranking and expectations so high, I'm thinkin that everyone in the B.E. will be gunning for them even more. Man, four nights of football and now b-ball..this is gonna drive the wife nuts! yessss!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/05/05 12:13 PM

SU should win by at least 10 points. Is the game on TV tonight? I don't see it listed on ESPN.com. What about Time Warner?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/05/05 12:21 PM

Quote:

Big East play begins tonite! St. Johns at the Garden. Any thoughts after St. Johns upset of North Carolina?

Also, it was NC State, not North Carolina. Big difference...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/05/05 12:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Also, it was NC State, not North Carolina. Big difference...

My bad. I always do that with those two schools...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/05/05 01:12 PM

Rascal, in our area I think Time Warner WRWB Channel 7, or FoxSports Channel 53 will be televising the game.

What concerns me about the game tonight is Syracuse has not played on the road in quite some time, and they're playing in New York.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/05/05 01:16 PM

The game is supposed to be on TV. Might show up on YES or MSG because it's St John's in the Garden.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/05/05 09:08 PM

SU wins. UConn & Pitt loses. It will be an interesting BE season.

I still think SU has a lot of ironing out to do. Watkins is still out for a few more weeks. That is huge for SU. One problem I have with SU now is that they still don't have a set 5 starters. It's almost like SU has too many good athletes that it might be hard to acquire a really good team chemistry. It's a toss up. Either they will now beat everyone or still have a mediocre season. It's all up to JB and the players at this point. If SU plays to their potential they can beat anyone. If they have an off night, or even just an OK night, they could lose to anyone. The season is still reltively early. 2 years ago we had a worse record and won it all!!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/06/05 07:41 AM

I thought they were sloppy in the beginning of the first half. Too many stupid turnovers. Nice to see Louie, Nichols and Roberts hit the three, they just need to do it more often. Did you see that three point attempt by Warrick? What the hell was he thinking!!!!!! Forth had a nice defensive night but why oh why no dunks. Two easy baskets that he flubbed.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/06/05 09:08 AM

I think Forth got elbowed and it finally pissed him off. Then he started playing better.

He needs to dunk the ball every time he can since he is so inept at layups.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/06/05 11:13 AM

I thought Forth and Hamilton were going to end up in a brawl. I see that the refs stepped in before that happened.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/06/05 06:46 PM

Agree about Forth (again). Dunk the stinkin' ball Craig, you don't know how to do layups. I was watching the game with my son the DOOK fan and was complaining about Forth's play in the first half but you know what, he did play well in the second half...after he got mad (good catch Rascal). Nice win and especially tied in with the Pitt and UConn loses. Late Christmas present for SU.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/06/05 07:27 PM

I know I keep defending Forth with he does the little things but for GOD'S SAKES I cant stand it any more with those missed layups.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/07/05 06:16 PM

I don't know if this is a legitimate explanation of Forth's reluctance to dunk but...I was talking with someone today who offered some information (new to me) that may be an explanation. In addition to Forth's having truly a severe case of "white man's disease" this person told me that he has small hands and really can't comfortably palm the ball for dunks regularly (or almost ever). I will now watch to see if he ever holds the ball in one hand away from himself when he's posting up to look for validation of this information. If he doesn't hold it out thre then maybe he does have "boy hands". If he "Wilt's" the ball then the argument is hooey. I do however agree with the disease assessment...or he has lead feet.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/07/05 07:25 PM

Eddie I think that is hooey. Forth dunked the ball 4 times agaisnt rice so he can do it but for some reason wont. I'm begining to think he is just lazy.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/08/05 01:26 AM

Gio were those 4 times with 1 hand or 2?

Also, is tomorrow night's game on TV anywhere?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/08/05 04:07 AM

yes.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/08/05 09:47 AM

where?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/08/05 10:22 AM

Game time 7:00, NO TV

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/08/05 10:30 AM

sorry yes to your first question and no to your second question.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/08/05 10:32 AM

The possible answers to my first question were 1 or 2...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/08/05 04:48 PM

I know....

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/08/05 04:51 PM

Which Craig Forth will show up tonight? The one who misses layups and constantly turns over the ball or the one who is pissed and dunks and blocks shots?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/08/05 05:04 PM

Maybe the guys need to kick him in the ass just as the game starts. You know get him pissed off right from the get go.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/08/05 05:58 PM

I read on another forum that last year Time Warner bought the rights to the unplayed SU games and that's why they were on that special TW channel. Apparently this year some other network bought the rights to replay the games and has chosen to not play many of them?!?!?!?!?!?

Can anyone at FL1 get something done like they did last year so we can all watch the SU games that aren't normally on ESPN?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/08/05 06:16 PM

Yeah, NO TV COVERAGE for the Syracuse vs Seton Hall or SU vs Georgetown games in January, can you fathom that ???

1/18/2005 Georgetown Syracuse, NY 7:00 p.m. NO TV

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/08/05 06:40 PM

Yowsa, SU is mixing it up tonight, they're up by 10, no 8, no 10 right now !

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/08/05 06:41 PM

live stats at http://www.suathletics.com

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/08/05 06:42 PM

ON TV?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/08/05 06:44 PM

Quote:

ON TV?

not on TV anywhere...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/08/05 06:46 PM

Radio 1240 am

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/08/05 06:46 PM

http://www.waer.org/webcast.html

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/08/05 09:25 PM

Anyone ever call in to their rdaio show I did tonight and raised some stink

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/08/05 09:39 PM

what stink did you raise?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/08/05 09:51 PM

Basically callled the bluff on Syracuse's weak preseason schedule. And the radio DJ's had the nerve to suggest that playing better preseason teacms wouldn't help SU long term. BS. BS! BS I SAY!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/09/05 08:42 AM

Quote:

Which Craig Forth will show up tonight? The one who misses layups and constantly turns over the ball or the one who is pissed and dunks and blocks shots?

10 points with two dunks! T-Roberts had a couple monster dunks also. Looks like Mr. Edlin is starting to get back to form. A G-Mac was on fire. 23points 3 steals and only a couple of turnovers. Very enjoyable game.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/09/05 10:12 AM

Were Edelin and McNamara on the court much at the same time and when they were together how did they look? Playing smoothly? Who ran the point? Did Edelin drive to the basket for his 3 (of 4) field goals? I see he got 22 minutes playing time with one assist. Seems that Boeheim has been reluctant to give Billy much playing time. Hope that his play warrants more time and that he is a positive force like, I believe, we all think he can be. If Edelin IS in fact back it bodes REAL WELL for this team. He has so much talent. It's almost like his game is better suited to the NBA. He's got that Walt Frazier silkiness to his game...when he's "right". I really like this kid's style.

So tell me how he did guys.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/09/05 12:14 PM

He looked very smooth. They both were running the point. I have also noticed the last couple of games they have been passing the ball very well and every time they do that Gerry is in perfect posistion for a three. I think the next couple of games we see Billy get more time....there is those goose bumps again.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/09/05 04:26 PM

I'd like to see the following starting five:

Warrick
GMac
Edelin
Watkins
Roberts

Or st least have that 5 play the most minutes together if JB must keep starting Forth and letting him sit after 5 minutes. Unfortunately Watkins is 4 weeks away from playing.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/10/05 09:02 AM

Warrick, McNamara, Edelin all great players. I think Pace doesn't get enough credit though. The guy is consistant every game. Double digits scoring. I believe he second in assists, steals and rebounds.

If I could vote for a team MVP he is my guy at this point.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/10/05 10:20 AM

Well he wasn't consistent last game. 2 points I think.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/10/05 11:33 AM

Tonight's game on ESPN against Notre Dame should be a good test for SU. Hopefully Edelin plays strong like he did last year against ND. And Warrick needs to stop bitching all the time. He was a whiny little crybaby last game. If he keeps that up the NBA will beat him like a girlie man in Attica next year.

Does anyone think we might see some man-to-man defense tonight if ND gets hot shooting 3 pointers?

Also, hopefully we see more of the SU cheerleaders. They're always so neglected from TV time...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/10/05 01:00 PM

So I'm not the only one who thinks Warrick has been crying too much lately?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/10/05 05:42 PM

He's learning from the master (JB) and apparently he's been paying attention. I too like what Pace brings to the team. Last year Forth got the start, play 5, sit 15 treatment for a while. He'd have to really eff up I think for Coach Loyalty to not start him.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/10/05 07:02 PM

Halftime report:

Billy E's anticipation of the pass and quick hands, gotta love his defensive skills !!

Mac's trying to do too much on his own. They need to use the rest of the team more, (attempt being made tonight)! Did you see him kick it up a notch when he got rammed into the goal!?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/10/05 09:08 PM

Couldn't watch the game. Took a kid back to college (2 down, 1 to go) and had to do the radio thing. Westwwod 1 announcers were raving about Billy Edelin for about the last 5 minutes of the game. Was it the smooth Billy of old tonight setting the pace, speeding up slowing down as necessary? That's what it looked like on the radio. Sounded like a good game.

4 of 14 for G-Mac on 3s. That's 29%. I guess if he hit one more it would have been 36% and that's an acceptable 3 point percentage. Was he chucking or weren't they falling?

Poor free throw shooting again, especially Warrick. Hurt them against Okie State and it's going to bite them again if they don't get that corrected.

Talk to me group. Did I miss a classic game tonight?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/10/05 09:20 PM

Free throws sucked big time, especially for Warrick.
Warrick got 4 fouls early. Roberts 4 fouls early.
That's about the bad news for SU.
Good news:
Edelin is back. He wasn't hitting 3's but he was dishing off to GMac and it worked almost every time. He also had some assists to Warrick & Roberts.
Forth had a couple of earlt Forth missed attempts/layups/etc. but he played much better after.
Pace was his "usual" consistent Pace and it helped.
Roberts had some good dunks.
GMac and Edelin were the success of the team tonight, especially on defense and assists.
SU played typical SU scrappy bball for the 1st 3 quarters, then it's like they gelled as a team and played as good as anyone.
This is extremely good news that Edelin is back in form and that SU can play successfully without Hakim Warrick.
GMac was his usual 3 point shooting success story.
SU has 10 good players. 8 or so played and 7 were firing on all cylinders. Warrick had an off night.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/10/05 09:48 PM

Can anyoje else besides me maybe see GMac as a head coach of SU BB in 5 years? Especially if he can't make it in the NBA?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/10/05 10:35 PM

How about that drive by GMac in the second half!!!! HOLY CRAP! that was awesome. And yes Billy is back! 7 steals and those assists to Warrick, Roberts and GMac. A very enjoyable game even with the lousy free throws. I think they missed 12 or so...good defense also. Thomas was held to 2 points in the first half?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/11/05 07:18 AM

Boeheim laces into critics of schedule
He says ESPN's Gottlieb and Vitale don't know what they're talking about.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/11/05 08:12 AM

Good "comeback" last night but Boeheim pulling Roberts after that monster dunk? why? keep the kid in their for intensity, so what if he has four fouls, we need a consistant five on the floor, not a consistant 7 or eight, but hey a wins a win! Edelin looked great he has definately got his game back! yes!
and no I dont see gmac as a/our head coach in five years, even if he breaks every record as a guard at SU we'd need a high profile experienced guy to take over.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/11/05 09:15 AM

Quote:

Good for coach B. Put those guys in their place. Of course Vitale is too busy kissing the ACC. That's the only conference he cares to suck up to...I mean praise.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/11/05 09:17 AM

All those cupcake teams really pad Boeheims numbers though. 40-50% of his wins are from cupcakes.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/11/05 09:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Good for coach B. Put those guys in their place. Of course Vitale is too busy kissing the ACC. That's the only conference he cares to suck up to...I mean praise.

First it was SU's administration and athletic director. And now the game announcers and journalists...

Boeheim should stick to coaching and stop preaching everyone else.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/11/05 09:49 AM

Quote:

All those cupcake teams really pad Boeheims numbers though. 40-50% of his wins are from cupcakes.

Yep they were games used to prepare the team for Big East play and for March Madness. Call them cupcakes all you want but they have served their purpose. All that matters in the end is league play and the big dance. I would also add Boeheims' comment on reaching 300 conference wins, "..it only means I've been around longer then the others..."

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/11/05 11:35 AM

Syracuse was well represented on Sportcenter's Top 10 plays of Monday !

GMac's reverse up and under came in at #6 (or was it #5),while Warrick's (helicopterman) slamma jamma was #1 ! Dang he's long !!!!!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/15/05 07:04 PM

Close game today. Anyone catch it.

G-Mac needs four more 3 to beat the record.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/16/05 05:13 PM

Too close of a game for a supposedly much better SU team.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/18/05 09:27 AM

Tonight's SU - Georgetown game (7:00) IS on Time Warner WRWB channel 7 !!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/18/05 09:40 AM

I will be at the game tonite! I want to see G-Mac make a new record!!!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/19/05 05:33 PM

What a freakin game!!!!! When G-Mac hit the three to tie and nothing happened I was puzzled. When he hit the three to take the record and the crowd exploded and then followed mith a chant of Gerry what a feeling!!!!!

Sloppy turn overs.
free throws.
didnt handle the full court pressure so well.

anyone go to the game? anyone see it on tv?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/20/05 10:48 AM

Very enjoyable game. There have been several Big East games that have been exciting to watch so far this season.

You are right Gio, SU didn't handle the full court very well. The same thing happened in the Providence game. They were a little better at free throws but it's still a problem that needs to be addressed.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/20/05 01:14 PM

Other than SU's good record I don't think they deserve to be ranked in the top 10. Maybe 15th or so. All cupcake teams so far except the one they lost.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/21/05 08:47 PM

Oh Rascal... think independently about this one. Don't listen to all the talking heads. Let reason and logic take control. Have a read from my favorite Duke alumni Jay Bilas. After reading this tell me you think SU doesn't deserver their rank. 18-1. Come on! SU is the ONLY one loss team in the country. The only one.

Slamming Syracuse's schedule is wrong
By Jay Bilas
Special to ESPN Insider

I love to needle Jim Boeheim. He's a good guy, and a really funny guy, and he gives as good as he gets. It's always fun to give him the business about how far he married over his head, his demeanor on the sidelines, and above all, how he is perceived to line up a bunch of tomato cans in the Carrier Dome, and has a hard time finding his road uniforms before conference play.

It has been a convenient joke that, before taking on the Irish at Notre Dame, Syracuse had not left the state of New York to play this season. That was true, but New York is a big state. It has also been opined that Syracuse plays a lame non-conference schedule and has not challenged itself away from the Carrier Dome. That is NOT true. Syracuse has played as challenging a schedule as any team in the Big East, and its slate stacks up favorably with the power teams in any league.

Scheduling non-conference games can be a tricky business, and it can be more of an art than a science. It is easy to say "play a tough non-conference slate, and really challenge yourself," but every team needs balance in its schedule. Here are some of the factors that you need to take into consideration before bashing coaches with a facile interpretation of schedules:

Every Team Needs Home Games: Home games mean money, and every team needs to have a certain number of home games. Syracuse, like most places, needs a gate and to put butts in the seats, and must do so through home games. While the Orange might like to fit a few more powerhouses on its home schedule, let's have a show of hands of those who want to trek to Syracuse to play? It is not a long list.

It is impossible to play Top 50 teams every game: There are not enough Top 50 teams to fill out everyone's schedule with really tough games. The same people that are complaining about Syracuse playing too many mid-majors are the same ones that are complaining that the big boys don't give the mid-majors a chance. What's it going to be? You cannot play Gonzaga every week.

Every Schedule Needs Balance: Syracuse plays in the Big East, the league that has produced the last two National Champions. Built into the Big East schedule are really tough home games and brutal road challenges. Why would a good coach beat up his team before going through that challenge? You want your team sharp and tested, but not drained and overtrained as conference play arrives.

Ask Tom Izzo about over-scheduling, and how much credit you get for putting your team through the ringer in non-conference games. Everybody talks about giving credit for quality losses, but nobody ever gives such credit. Plus, the Big East alone provides enough high level games to make the NCAA Tournament, without playing any tough non-conference road games.

Younger teams need confidence: Really, ALL teams need the confidence that comes from winning and experiencing success together on the floor. A few games that your team can win even when not playing at peak levels are essential for every schedule. EVERY TEAM DOES IT. I call these games "lay-ups."

Lay-ups are games that are played at home against teams that are in the bottom half of the RPI, and count for absolutely nothing with the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee (unless you lose). When I look at a team's schedule, I net out all wins against the bottom half of Division I, and don't count them in a team's "real record."

Let's take a look at the Big East non-conference schedules, and see how the Syracuse schedule stacks up:

Boston College: The Eagles have had six lay-ups, and have played one away game (at UMass) and one neutral-court game (vs. UCLA). BC also has played Clemson, Boston University and Kent State, all quality opponents. The Eagles' "real record" is 5-0, 2-0 away from home.

UConn: The Huskies have also had six lay-ups, and have played two away games (at UMass and Oklahoma). UConn also has played Indiana and Rice (with North Carolina coming up in February), all quality opponents. The Huskies' "real record" is 2-2, 0-2 away from home.

Georgetown: The Hoyas have had four lay-ups, have played one away game (at Davidson) and three neutral games (vs. Oral Roberts, Long Beach State and Clemson). Georgetown has also played Illinois and Temple, both quality opponents. The Hoyas' "real record" is 3-3, 2-2 away from home.

Notre Dame: The Irish have had seven lay-ups, and have played two away games (at Michigan and Indiana). Notre Dame also has played DePaul, a quality opponent. The Irish's "real record" is 1-2, 1-1 away from home.

Pittsburgh: The Panthers have had seven lay-ups, and have played one away game (at Penn State) and one neutral game (Memphis at MSG). Pitt also has played Richmond and South Carolina, both good teams. Pitt's "real record" is 4-1, 2-1 away from home.

Providence: The Friars have had three lay-ups, have played two away games (at Memphis and San Diego State) and three neutral games (vs. Wake Forest, Michigan and Florida). Providence has also played Niagara, Penn, Winthrop, and Wichita State, all good teams. The Friars' "real record" is 5-4, 3-2 away from home.

Rutgers: The Knights have had four lay-ups, and have played four away games (at Charlotte, Princeton, Kansas State, and Air Force). Rutgers also has played St. Mary's and Wisconsin, both very good opponents. The Knights' "real record" is 3-3, 2-2 away from home.

St. John's: The Red Storm have had five lay-ups and have played three away games (at Niagara, Illinois State and Hofstra). St. John's also has played NC State and Virginia Tech, both quality opponents. The Storm's "real record" is 2-4, 0-3 away from home.

Seton Hall: The Pirates have had six lay-ups and have played three away games (at Davidson, Rhode Island and Northwestern). Seton Hall also has played Richmond and Texas, both good teams. The Pirates' "real record" is 2-3, 2-1 away from home.

Villanova: The 'Cats have had five lay-ups, have played 1 away game (at LaSalle) and 1 neutral game (vs. Temple). Villanova also has played Penn. The Cats' "real record" is 2-1, and 1-1 away from home.

West Virginia: The Mountaineers have had six lay-ups and have played three away games (at Duquense, LSU and NC State). West Virginia also has played George Washington, a quality opponent. The Mountaineers' "real record" is 4-0, 3-0 away from home.

Now, let's compare the 16-1 and 7th-ranked Orange to the rest of the Big East:

Syracuse: The Orange have had seven lay-ups, have played one away game (at Siena) and three neutral games (vs. Oklahoma State, Memphis and Mississippi State). Syracuse also has played Princeton, Rice and Hofstra, all good teams. The Orange's "real record" is 6-1, 3-1 away from the Dome.

Syracuse's non-conference slate is pretty favorable to those of the rest of the league. Oklahoma State and Mississippi State are both top-20 teams with outstanding players, and Syracuse beat Mississippi State WITH Winsome Frazier healthy. Memphis is very talented, and was actually playing fairly well coming into the Syracuse game. Princeton, Rice and Hofstra are all capable of making the NCAA tournament, and will be major factors in their respective leagues. All things considered, Syracuse has a competitive non-conference schedule.

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski always has been praised for his scheduling and playing teams that simulate teams that he will face later in the year, like in the NCAA Tournament. So, let's compare Duke's non-conference schedule to that of Syracuse, and see if Boeheim knows what he is doing (after all, he's only been to the NCAA Tournament 23 times and to the NCAA championship game three times -- what does he know about scheduling and bringing a team along?)

Duke: The Blue Devils have had four lay-ups and played 2 neutral games (Valparaiso at the United Center and Oklahoma at MSG). The Blue Devils played home games against Davidson, Michigan State, Princeton and Temple, all good teams. Duke's "real record" is 6-0, 2-0 away from Cameron Indoor Stadium.

So tell me, how far away is Boeheim from the schedule that Krzyzewski set up to prepare his team for March? How different are Rice and Hofstra from Davidson and Valpo? The answer is: there is no difference. And the truth is, Boeheim knows what he is doing, understands how to develop and bring along a team, and has set up a schedule that is comparable to other power programs around the country.

Nobody will care about these silly issues in March. It comes down only to who you played and who you beat. Syracuse has already beaten quality opponents, and will continue to do so. Enough of this silly facile interpretation of the strength of the 'Cuse's schedule, unless every team is held to the same standard.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/21/05 09:33 PM

I've already read that and seen SU fall apart playing cupcake teams too many times to believe they are deserving of their 7th ranking.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/22/05 01:35 AM

How can you call it a cupcake schedule??? The above column clearly shows Syracuse's schedule is in line with every other major team and every team in the Big East Conference.

As for falling apart... 23 NCAA Tournaments, 3 Final Fours, 3 National Title Games and a National Championship. Doesn't sound like Boeheim's teams fall apart to me. It's college basketball. Syracuse has as quality of a postseason record under Boeheim as just about any team in the country and 95% of college basketball programs would love to hang banners in their arena like SU hangs in the Dome.
Posted by: Elliot Offen

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/22/05 08:19 AM

SU has played a fair schedule so far. They have played some a handful of games against 'tournament tested' foes. That's all you can ask for in the '04 of the '04-'05 season.

Like Bilas said, ask Tom Izzo how scheduling the entire top 25 works for you... Jimmy B used to only schedule cupcakes, but now he has been pretty good about playing a nice small tournament, and a few teams that would be 10-12 seeds in the tournament.

SU is a tough team. They won't fall apart. People have that misconception about SU and Boeheim. It seems that Boeheim's motto is he who has the most points at the end of the game, wins. Go figure. He takes the air out of the ball when 'the experts' say it's a mistake. He let's teams hang around rather than push push push and blow teams out. He doesn't foul and call time outs like other coaches when they are down. A strategy that I hate by the way, as it seldom works. And he seems to be in every game.
Boeheim is a non traditional coach in this day.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/22/05 09:40 AM

Game's on the tube today right?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/22/05 10:12 AM

Quote:

Game's on the tube today right?

Yes....Time Warner 26. I however like the fool that I am will be traveling to the dome to watch the 'Cuse....

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/22/05 10:14 AM

Quote:

Oh Rascal... think independently about this one. Don't listen to all the talking heads. Let reason and logic take control. Have a read from my favorite Duke alumni Jay Bilas. After reading this tell me you think SU doesn't deserver their rank. 18-1. Come on! SU is the ONLY one loss team in the country. The only one.

[

me thinks Rascal does realize that and is just stubborn on the whole cupcake thing....

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/22/05 10:38 AM

Many teams that SU has struggled with are cupcake teams. That is their problem. The only team we've played so far that was better we lost. And we almost lost by 2 inched to Georgetown, a clearly inferior team.

A team of SU's caliber should not be having these problems with cupcake teams. OK, maybe once or twice in the early season is expected. But not EVERY cupcake team SU plays.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/22/05 11:01 AM

Quote:

Quote by Gio:
....I... will be traveling to the dome to watch the 'Cuse....

INSANITY !!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/22/05 11:13 AM

We've had a couple inches of snow so far Gio but the roads do not look too bad yet. But I'm 14 miles north of the Carrier Dome and with this storm that much farther south is going to get more snow than me.

It's also blowing pretty good out now so watch out for temporary whiteouts.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/22/05 02:52 PM

CAN'T FIND THE GAME.. this is starting to get annoying again...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/22/05 04:36 PM

It was on Time Warner Channel 7 locally

The score was WVU 48, SU 56, with 8 minutes and 31 seconds left to play, when the noxious blue screen showed up !!!! GRRRR, who won ??

Hope Gio makes it home safely !!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/22/05 04:42 PM

Yup.. I didn't realize it was on so early.. and I would bet I checked in around that time.. only to see the blue screen of death.. SU won going away, but it would have been nice to see. My father gets to see a replay of the game on the Time Warner channel in Oswego. We don't get it here. Bummer.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/22/05 08:41 PM

Enjoyable game! Ride back wasnt so enjoyable.

hey some one must have gottten on them they were 16-18 on freethrows today!

still some very sloppy turnovers....

Billy E. 7 assist and 12 points...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/23/05 12:58 PM

Does anyone see Boeheim turning over the starting slot to Edelin? This kid reminds me of things that were said about Tom Gugliotta. He may be a better PRO than college player. His deliberate style, seeing the whole court rather than rushing the ball up is truly invaluable. I wonder if Boeheim is holding last seson against him when Billy "disappeared" during the season. Or is he trying to make sure that McCrosky gets his minutes so his confidence level continues to grow. With Billy in a game I still feel that it makes G-Mac better. I think it also makes X better. That alley-oop that Billy fed X was perfect.

What's the opinion boys? I really think Billy is the key to the run to a CHAMPIONSHIP this year. Yes CHAMPIONSHIP ! There's been some banter on this thread about not blowing out teams that appear inferior. My take is a W is a W. The OK State game was decided on free throws and Gio rightly noted 16 of 18 yesterday. The free throw problem may be solved.

This team and the zone look really ready to me. I like the look of this team...and I like it best when Billy Boy plays.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/23/05 06:43 PM

I don't think Edelin will ever make it to the pros.

The OK state game was decided on much more than free throws. If we we're making them it would have changed both teams strategy. They outplayed us in just about every category.

Billy may be a big help in getting to another championship game. But he can't hit a 3 this year. Hitting 3's will be key to even making it to the final four. We only have one weapon from beyond the arc and he has cold spells every game. We'll know more once we play UConn, Pitt, & BC. Every other team we've played has been either one class below us or one above. OK St. beat us. So we've beaten every team we should have, lost to everyone we should have.

McCroskey, Nichols, Roberts, & Watkins(when he is ready) will need the minutes for confidence and real playing experience. We have too many guards & small forwards that can't reliably hit a 3...This will cost us a couple games.

BE seems to do most things well now. We just need him to do everything well again for him to regain a starting positin. But that complaint against him now is also legitimate against every other SU player currently. NONE of our players play a great game all around through the whole game.Either fouls, foul shots, rebounding, 3 pointers, transition play, etc. gets in the way of a truly superior game. We have the talent, they just aren't walking the walk yet. This is what seperates us from Wake or UNC or Illinois. We need way more consistency, we already have the talent. And Warrick needs to stop whining so much...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/23/05 06:47 PM

BTW, the last time this team looked really good was against MS St. and Memphis. Without BE.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/24/05 04:07 PM

your really hung up on that one lose.....

I was watching Billy hit three pointers during warmups. I wonder why he doesnt during games....

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/24/05 05:05 PM

Tonight's game is on ESPN at 7:00, Carl. We should be able to see it in it's entirety !

This could be a very tough game for SU, they never seem to play well at the RAC !

Up to #4 in the AP Poll this week !!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/24/05 05:25 PM

Hmmm, I think this team has looked it's best since the Big East started. Alot better than they did when they played in those November/December games.

Also, Billy Edelin played 27 minutes of the 2003 title game and didn't shoot a single three. When he's on the court I bet GMac's 2-point percentage goes up.

In my estimation, we are the best team in the country right now. This is an experienced, resiliant, highly talented bunch of kids who have come along very nicely this season.

The problem I am have with your analysis of Syracuse's team this year is that you contradict yourself. In one sentence you mention that Syracuse is overrated because they have only beat the teams they were supposed to and lost to the one they "were supposed to lose to". Then you go on to say Syarcuse isn't in the same class as Wake Forest. Wake Forest lost to Florida State this week. That's a team they were "supposed to beat".

That's the amazing thing about being 19-1 (about to go for 20 wins tongiht). It's just not easy to win 19/20 games in the world of college basketball. I don't care who you play. College basketball is a game of streaks. Only 40 minutes of gametime. ANYONE can beat ANYONE everytime you take the court. Just look at UNC. They lost to 11-9 Santa Clara. That was A team they were "supposed to beat".

In 2003 I started seeing the team come together in January. I proclaimed that they were the best team in the country in January. I feel exactly the same way about this team. They'll probably lose 2-3 games before the post season but so will everyone.

This team is legit and I want you to stop dissing my boys Rascal!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/24/05 05:42 PM

Hey they're my boys also...That's why I'm pointing out their flaws, so that when they read this it motivates them and JB...

When SU plays teams that are of the same caliber like WF or OK St. we lose...And you think we're in the same league as them? SU played pretty good for most of the OK St game. That proves that we are in the same class if we can do it consitently. Every team has a bad day or 2 where they lose to teams they really shouldn't. Look at Kansas this past week. But when SU consistently plays at the cupcake level simply because we're playing cupcakes that shows me they will have a hard time against the truly superior teams.(The OK St game proved that) During the BE tourney and NCAA tourney we will only be playing cupcakes for the 1st 2 games. After that it's all top DIV 1 teams. Ever since our wins over Memphis and MS St. we've been playing down to our cupcake opponents' levels and not playing up to the levels of superior teams. The win-loss records do not show how we will compete in the NCAA tourney as evidenced by the 2002-2003 season when SU won it all.

If the win-loss record was so important then we would be ranked ahead of N. Carolina right now and Boston College would be ranked higher than us. It's also as important how we play those games. And the seeding at the end of the year is important because not having a 1 or 2 seed makes winning the NCAA tourney that much harder because you play no cupcakes then.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/24/05 05:45 PM

Quote:

Hmmm, I think this team has looked it's best since the Big East started.

We cme within 3 shoe sizes of losing to Georgetown and you think that was when we were playing our best? Clearly not. But the last time we were ranked 4th was because of how we were winning, such as against MS St. and Memphis. Now we are ranked 4th again mainly because of our record. If we had lost to GTown we would be ranked 12 right now.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/24/05 06:19 PM

Almost halfway through the 1st half and SU is about to go down 5-6 points...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/24/05 06:57 PM

I hate the RAC.....

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/24/05 06:58 PM

5-6 points their down 18.....I really really hate the RAC!!!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/24/05 07:03 PM

SU is overrated at 4. They are a top 10 team maybe. Pittsburg is taking notes on this game. One good thing at the end of the half is Watkins coming into the game strong.

I think JB took McCroskey out too early. He was our top scorer at the time I think. SU can come back from this abysmal 1st half if they play right but we need to stop their 3's and we need to start making some serious points. Forth & Warrick look terrible. GMac isn't hitting his normal 3's. Roberts is not playing well on offense. Pace & Edelin need to step up or step aside.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/24/05 08:16 PM

Quote:

I hate the RAC.....

DITTO!

WHEW!!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/24/05 08:17 PM

I'm not going to say a word......

HOLY CRAP DID THEY GET LUCKY!!!!!!!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/24/05 08:21 PM

Hate that effin RAC. A W is a W. They'll take it.

1st team in America with 20 wins - SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/24/05 08:23 PM

Watkins is key to our success. You heard it here first

Nice game Edelin

We will need to play that 2nd half defense against better 3 point shooting teams.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/24/05 08:24 PM

Damn RAC!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/24/05 08:31 PM

Quote:

We will need to play that 2nd half defense against better 3 point shooting teams.

Tough to defend an idiotic 3 point shot from 30 feet away. Rutgers was unconscious on 3s for a while. You make that shot, God bless you because you had no business taking it or making it. They missd the last one though didn't they?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/24/05 08:38 PM

How many 3's and at what percentage did Rutgers make them in the 1st half compared to the 2nd?

Must be that 2nd half defense took away their narcotic of choice

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/24/05 08:53 PM

They were 9 of 23 for the game and I'll bet they were 7 of 11 in the first half.

Question: Does Syracuse fly back tonight or take a bus back? Do they overnight in Jersey? Go into the city to McSorley's for a few? Just curious.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/25/05 09:40 PM

http://abfhm.free.fr/basket.htm

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/30/05 08:47 AM

Well that was pretty ugly last night against Pittsburgh. Looks like Pitt has figured out the formula for success against SU, cover 2 guys tightly and make everyone else try to score. Rascal was right, Pitt was taking notes on the Rutgers game.

Now the trick is to see how well they recover from giving one away. They can go the Georgia Tech route and stumble after a loss before righting their ship or the Pitt way and suck it up. ND next at the Dome will be the barometer. They win and they're ready for UConn and Villanova after ND. They lose and it could get messy vs UC & VU.

We shall see.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/31/05 03:26 PM

It would have been nice to see Nichols or Louie hit a GODDAMN 3 POINTER!!!!!

Got to give Pitt credit they got the job done. I hope this game was only a bump and not a roadblock.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/31/05 03:28 PM

PARITY

Anyone can beat anyone in The Big East on any given night, especially in someone else's house ! (ex./ ND defeats Conn)

A positive on the Pitt game, SU's free throw percentage was not bad, 77.8% (21-27)!!!

Gerry & Hakim need some offensive help from their teammates !

SU Final Point stats from the Pitt game:

Warrick - 25
+
Forth - 2
+
McNamara - 26
+
Pace - 2
+
McCroskey - 4
+
Edelin - 3
+
Roberts - 4
+
Watkins - 1
+
Nichols - 2

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/31/05 03:33 PM

Thats for sure. I thought at least Pace or Edlin would have scored more....and Watkins still seems tentative. I wonder how much he "lost" while out and how much longer to get it back..
Posted by: redfox

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/31/05 03:46 PM

Nichols seems lost for the season after getting no quality playing time for a month. It's tough to play against a zone with only one shooter. McCrowsky is a very average shooter who needs time to get his 3 pt shot off. I though Josh Wright was supposed to a big contributer this year. I though maybe he could provide a chnage of pace for the team when they are struggling.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/31/05 03:51 PM

hey

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/31/05 08:41 PM

Quote:

hey

Hey

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 01/31/05 09:01 PM

IMO, this year's SU would be better if JB would coach differently. It almost seems like he wanted another loss by my impressions of him during the Pitt game. JB just didn't seem pissed that SU was falling apart. If he is that good of a coach then maybe this is just some test for his players. Who knows...

I think it's time for Edelin, GMac, Hak, Watkins, & Roberts to be our starting 5, especially against physically big teams like Pitt. McCroskey and Nichols need to practice 3 pointers for the rest of the season, as well as Edelin. The problem I see now with SU is that the individual players are sporadic in their numbers. To me it's OK if a player has an off night and only scores 4 points but he better damn well contribute otherwise. Lots of assists, rebounds, steals, etc.

IMO Forth & McCroskey don't deserve to start or play a majority of minutes. This team has no fluidity because there is always a different 5 players on the court. And when GMac is off he needs to find someone else. Hak needs to not get in foul trouble early. Other teams are taking notes.

I can accept that Watkins is not fully ready coming off an injury but both Watknins and Roberts need to know that every opponent's shot isn't an opportunity to attempt to block their shot. Forth still needs to dunk and not miss layups.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/01/05 09:25 PM

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/01/05 09:28 PM

Supposedly they are already selling tickets for section 334-335. Going to set an attendance record???

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/03/05 10:52 AM

I read there are over 50 buses with 4,000 Scranton fans planning on making the trek to the SU Hill ! ^^

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/03/05 11:24 AM

I wanted to go to that game to but my friend is DJing at the Fargo in Aurora so I'll be watching on TV...I hope.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/03/05 10:01 PM

On various forums there are rumors of at least 38,000 going to be in attendance! Also, don't forget to watch ESPN in the morning.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/03/05 10:50 PM

Campbell announced via e-mail to Syracuse student season-ticket holders last week that they'd be allowed into the Dome through Gate E starting at 9:30 on Saturday morning for the initial broadcast. Students can sign up online at a special Web site to win prizes throughout the morning (carrierdome.syr.edu/espn.asp).

Registration is not necessary to be a part of the broadcast. Campbell said more than 500 students signed up over the weekend. He anticipates at least 1,000 students will show up and Nwolu said ESPN has been tracking the number of fans at the early taping through a "Fan Meter."

Only students will be allowed in for the 11 a.m. show and they will be asked to leave at noon.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/05/05 03:38 PM

SU game has "sold out". That means at least 34,000.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/05/05 10:12 PM

WOW!!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/06/05 10:13 AM

Second verse same as the first:

Quote:

Gerry & Hakim need some offensive help from their teammates !

Also, everyone was attempting to do too much (individually) last night. They were all trying to make the Sports Center Highlight reel !!!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/06/05 02:34 PM

yep.

But still....WOW!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/06/05 03:18 PM

Quote:

Well that was pretty ugly last night against Pittsburgh. Looks like Pitt has figured out the formula for success against SU, cover 2 guys tightly and make everyone else try to score. Rascal was right, Pitt was taking notes on the Rutgers game.

Now the trick is to see how well they recover from giving one away. They can go the Georgia Tech route and stumble after a loss before righting their ship or the Pitt way and suck it up. ND next at the Dome will be the barometer. They win and they're ready for UConn and Villanova after ND. They lose and it could get messy vs UC & VU.

We shall see.

They got REAL lucky last night. Last night ws a push. The Connecticut game will tell the story.

If they don't get this scoring thing figured out they will not go deep in the tournament. The jury is still out on this team IMO.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/06/05 06:16 PM

yep....but WOW!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/07/05 08:59 AM

Did anyone watch the post game show with the inteviews, G'Mac and Warrick talking about the game. Jay Billis asked them how they compared this years team to the championship team.

They said they were deeper this year. G'Mac also mentioned the 2003 team played "got better" as a team as the season went along. Stating in effect that this years team still had a way to go.

The players realize this team needs to get better. Hopefully these last two games are wake up calls.

The run begins tonight with the Huskies.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/07/05 08:36 PM

Entertaining game tonight. They always are against UConn. Thought SU played pretty well, especially Roberts. Some pretty bad decisions in the latter part of the game by SU. They sure figured out how to neutralize McNamara. Would have been a good game for Forth to get more minutes (I can't believe I'm saying that) so he could set more picks for G-Mac.

No one said they were going to win them all. It's just time to string some wins together again now.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/08/05 06:01 AM

I know I will take crap for this but the refs were terrible! Unfreakin believable!! Not that it was the only reason SU lost but it sure as hell didnt help.

I agree Eddie they did a good job of guarding Mac but even when he was open a couple of times he was off. It was like he was pushing it. I thought Roberts, Pace and Edlin played well.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/08/05 09:07 AM

I wonder if JB is now regretting playing such a cupcake schedule early on and now having to find out the hard way in conference play where your true weaknesses are.

GMac is not that good of a shooter, especially consistently.
GMac is our only 3 point shooter.
Hak is not much of an outside threat, not even 5-10 feet from the basket.
Pace can only drive to the left.
Edelin is just starting to gain his rhythm.
JB keeps complaining that the sophomores need to step up but as soon as they make one mistake he tends to yank them from the game which prevents them from gaining the necessary experience.

We seemed to play better earlier in the year without Edelin and with Nichols. The extra outside shot helps.

Last night did show some promise. Roberts looked better. Edelin showed some signs of greatness. And when the 5 on the floor were GMac, Hak, Roberts, Edelin, & Watkins we were matched up well size wise and a better team than UConn. And they played together well. Forth could have been used more in the 2nd half to alleviate some of the fouls the other players accumulated and this would have also given GMac some better looks for 3's.

Our defense is actually pretty good but everyone now has figured out how to beat the zone.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/08/05 09:10 AM

Also, this team has so many weapons and everyone tries to score on their own. More assists would open things up. It's as if SU is always playing a reactionary/defensive game rather than the one setting the pace.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/08/05 09:33 AM

Quote:

Also, this team has so many weapons and everyone tries to score on their own. More assists would open things up. It's as if SU is always playing a reactionary/defensive game rather than the one setting the pace.

I dont really agree with that Rascal. They do pass it around and have many assists. I have heard the comentators remark several times on the unselfish play of the Orange. Check the A/T ratio not bad at all.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/08/05 09:33 AM

Gio I'm in total agreement. I was at the game last night. One of the WORST officiated games I've ever seen, at any level.

I could write a book on the bad calls. There was a point in the game late. Boone had Warricks jersey pulled so far around him you could read his name from the front. No call.

Watkins was called twice for fouls even before the contact.

As far as play. G'Mac was never really open. Williams did a great job defending him. They do need another 3 point shooter though to help.

There were a couple times that I think SU made one too many passes.

Warrick did ok considering that the Huskies front three are big and defend well.

Roberts played very well last night, even hitting foul shots.

Billy E should be a starter the rest of the way. They are a much better team with him on the floor.

As for Forth when he was in, the Huskies were able to defend around his screen very easily. Plus he was very little help on the boards.

The Huskies turned the ball over quite a bit and that stat right there should have ment a loss. The game was won at the line. The bad calls put the Huskies on the line a lot and they hit the shots.

Oh well, SU gets to avenge the loss in Hartford in a couple weeks.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/08/05 10:30 AM

I am sure JB has been well aware of the team's weaknesses. I don't think everyone has suddenly figured out the zone. They have played it forever and it is still a great defense for them. Josh Pace can only go left!! No kidding. I do wish they would run more set plays instead of just tossing into Warrick and having MacNamara run around looking for 3's. Watch how Duke sets picks for Reddick and really look for him. G-Mac rarely get a good look at the basket but is a tremendous shooter. He has made more 3's than anyone in the in country this year. Another shooter would be great. I thought it would be Nichols but he seems to be done for the year. Robers and watkins neeed to learn to play defense without fouling everytime anothe rplayer gets near them.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/08/05 10:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not talking about transition play, but more specifically about Warrick, and to some extent Roberts and Watkins. It seems that everytime he gets the ball he shoots or tries to dunk. And he is not a good shooter. If Warrick once in a while passed it out it would help a lot. With other shooters open it would stun their defense, and our shots would be more likely to go in. And that will also help with SU's seemingly inability to out rebound other teams.

I dont really agree with that Rascal. They do pass it around and have many assists. I have heard the comentators remark several times on the unselfish play of the Orange. Check the A/T ratio not bad at all.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/08/05 11:05 AM

I'll agree with they all seem to want to dunk it. The times that Warrick has received the ball in the paint and the defense would collapse on him and he passed it back out to Mac for the easy three I wish they would do more of that. There has been several times Mac was open but Hak went for the dunk.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/12/05 04:49 PM

Some one fill me in on the Villanova game. I was fishing all day. Was it a legit win or did Villanova play bad. How did Hak & Mac do? I hear Forth actually scored. Did the Sophs come thru this time?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/15/05 02:07 PM

Last nights loss to Pitt was filled with the typical SU deficiencies. No 3 point shooting other than GMac. Too many 30' desperation shots by GMac. Does he only have the one play where he hits the 3 off the pick from Forth? Forth finally had a monster dunk. Too bad it was because he came back into the game after sucking to give a rest to someone else. Hak got into foul trouble early once again on stupid fouls, then seemed to go sit by himself and cry, and then played the 2nd half like a pansy. What's up with him playing like he already has 5 fouls when he only has 3...And there's only 2-3 minutes in the game and SU is down by 6? He should have been driving against Krouser who really did have 4 fouls...Bad coaching by JB again. McCroskey and Roberts finally step up and the seniors let the team down. And then JB starts changing the lineup consistently every 5 minutes so we have no team chemistry.

Once again our press worked well for 1 minute and then it was abandoned poof...

Now everyone of our competitors will have studied our press many times and we won't be able to use it to comeback. It started backfiring against us the 2nd time we tried it last night. Pitt was then able to break the press everytime.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/15/05 03:27 PM

Was very disapointing to see Louie pick it up along with Roberts and have Hak and Josh not really do any scoring. I couldnt believe how dry they went during the end of the 2nd.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/15/05 04:58 PM

Quote:

Last nights loss to Pitt was filled with the typical SU deficiencies. No 3 point shooting other than GMac. Too many 30' desperation shots by GMac. Does he only have the one play where he hits the 3 off the pick from Forth? Forth finally had a monster dunk. Too bad it was because he came back into the game after sucking to give a rest to someone else. Hak got into foul trouble early once again on stupid fouls, then seemed to go sit by himself and cry, and then played the 2nd half like a pansy. What's up with him playing like he already has 5 fouls when he only has 3...And there's only 2-3 minutes in the game and SU is down by 6? He should have been driving against Krouser who really did have 4 fouls...Bad coaching by JB again. McCroskey and Roberts finally step up and the seniors let the team down. And then JB starts changing the lineup consistently every 5 minutes so we have no team chemistry.

Once again our press worked well for 1 minute and then it was abandoned poof...

Now everyone of our competitors will have studied our press many times and we won't be able to use it to comeback. It started backfiring against us the 2nd time we tried it last night. Pitt was then able to break the press everytime.

Rascal some good points. I have to agree with you this time. Gerry needs to take more jump shots, not just those 30' three pointers. Hakim did play way to passive down the stretch. He is beginning to wine a bit like he did his freshman year.

Too many line-up changes. I'm confused by Jim's thinking.

I will say it again. PLAY EDELIN!!!! Let him run the show. Why start him then pull him less than three minutes in.

It was nice to see Louie hitting shots last night. Roberts continues too play well. He just needs to get his foul numbers down a bit.

You know what I miss. The old coach Jimmy B. Where is that emotion. He needs to get into the players a bit more when they screw up.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/15/05 05:51 PM

Well our "small" back court when Edelin, GMac, & Pace play have a hard time against bigger teams in outside rebounding. Last night it was a choice between having our best offensive team on the floor vs. the best defensive & rebounding one.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/16/05 09:40 AM

Quote:

Well our "small" back court when Edelin, GMac, & Pace play have a hard time against bigger teams in outside rebounding. Last night it was a choice between having our best offensive team on the floor vs. the best defensive & rebounding one.

Small backcourt?? Edelin is 6'4". Pace is 6'6. Pitts backcourt is no bigger than SU. Most of them are actually smaller.

So are you saying Edelin is the wrong guy to run the offense?

I think a lot of the problem is lack of heart. Some of these guys give up when things get tough. Nichols is a good example.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/16/05 10:38 AM

Pace is really 6'5" and GMac is 5'11". Pace does not play big. That is why he has such trouble playing offense against the zone defense. Can't really say much about Edelin because his play has been nothing but erratic this year.

Playing good against good teams is how you measure someone. Not how they play against Canisus or St. Bonaventure.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/16/05 11:16 AM

Quote:

Pace is really 6'5" and GMac is 5'11". Pace does not play big. That is why he has such trouble playing offense against the zone defense. Can't really say much about Edelin because his play has been nothing but erratic this year.

Playing good against good teams is how you measure someone. Not how they play against Canisus or St. Bonaventure.

Well not to start an arguement on this. However G'Mac is 6'2". He listed on the SU site as that. Do you know something they don't.

Pace is 6'6. No he doesn't play big. That is why I thought you put Louie in at SF and let Edelin and G'Mac play at guard. Especially when Louie was hot.

I agree you messure a team by how they play against good opponents.

I just don't understand why JB won't play Edelin.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/16/05 11:22 AM

Like those heights aren't exagerated.

Also, I have stood close to GMac and I'm taller, and not 6'2"

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/20/05 08:34 AM

Tried something different and DIDN'T watch last night's game. It didn't work. Only heard the end and the desperation 3s that G-Mac was throwing up. Syracuse is going the wrong way at the wrong time. They're doing a Titanic. At least Billy got his minutes, all 6 of them. Was there a problem with Edelin or do you think Boeheim feels he needs another outside shot threat and therefore plays McCrosky who took 2 treys and made 1. In a college game where so many teams can make 3s has Syracuse missed the boat?

I am not liking what I'm seeing in Syracuse lately. Something is definitely wrong and if they don't right their ship they will not go deep in the Tournament, either the Big East Tournament of the Big Dance.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/20/05 10:45 AM

Its the same thing we have all been saying. No outside threat other then Gerry and every team knows it. The face guard Mac and double team Hak. No rebounding again! BC had 19 second chance points on 18 offensive ebounds. Dudley and Smith had their way with the 'Cuse. I just love how BC decides to have this game be their coming out for 3's.....And what was up with the crowd storming the court. BC is already a higher ranked and league leading team.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/20/05 11:47 AM

What was with Gerry and the shot he took with just under 2 minutes...or there about. They only needed a 2 and he throws up an airball from 3. He also made a couple of bad passes early in the game. Something is not right with him right now.

I know it's a bit early for this.

It looks like a 25-7 record going in the big dance. Yes, I'm including the Big East tourney in that. Of course Providence could beat them next week.

The way things are going the best they will be no better than a 5 seed.

It's too bad, there is alot of talent. Too bad they aren't playing like a team right now.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/20/05 11:58 AM

I am keeping the faith that it will come together for the big dance. At least I keep saying that to myself over and over and over....

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/22/05 08:24 PM

Going to the St. John's game with my 6 year old and brother in law and my 6 year old niece. Good seats, should be fun. Now, if SU could only make some shots outside of 10 feet.

Actually, I think the problems could come down to everyone leaning on Gerry in the crunch. Need someone else that has talent (ie, not Josh, cause he has the desire, but no talent) to make a good shot to win a game for the confidence of the team.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/23/05 03:43 PM

Quote:

Going to the St. John's game with my 6 year old and brother in law and my 6 year old niece. Good seats, should be fun. Now, if SU could only make some shots outside of 10 feet.

Actually, I think the problems could come down to everyone leaning on Gerry in the crunch. Need someone else that has talent (ie, not Josh, cause he has the desire, but no talent) to make a good shot to win a game for the confidence of the team.

getting ready to leave for the game also. lets hope they have gotten their heads out of their butts...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/23/05 03:43 PM

what seats are you in?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/23/05 03:46 PM

havent bought tickets yet. nosebleed no doubt.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/27/05 08:46 AM

Syracuse sure had their way with Providence yesterday. Nicely orchestrated Senior Day. Saw that Craig Firth's last points scored at home were via the "FLUSH!" Nicely done Craig.

Quasi burning question for me, where's Billy Edelin? Is he even on the roster? Was he on the bench yesterday? Have they finally thrown in the towel on him?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 02/27/05 12:47 PM

Rumors say he is having psychological problems again.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/05/05 02:47 PM

Well 15 minutes to go until SU UCONN game. Will SU play like theyu are capable or will it be another piss poor showing?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/05/05 05:20 PM

well that was another predictable lose.....

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/06/05 01:09 AM

SU only really had 2 offensive weapons. Now it looks like GMac can't hit a shot. Easy game for UConn.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/06/05 02:07 PM

I really was hoping by this time of the season Louie, Nichols and Watkins would have been playing more and with consistency. Not only are they not but your right G-Mac couldn't hit the broad side of a barn last night! Maybe the BE Tourny will wake them up...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/06/05 05:47 PM

Looks like my prediction of 25-7 is about to come true.

I hate to say it but this team is just about done for this season. Big east tourney, win their first game lose the second. Then you will see the same thing happen in the dance.

The Huskies are a final four team. I've been saying this for several weeks. They are just too physical and Williams is really stepping up in that guard position.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/07/05 07:10 AM

Sine there are already 6 losses(23-6 record), that would mean a record of 25-8 when all is said and done. SU can't lose 2 more games and only have 7 losses.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/07/05 07:37 AM

Quote:

Sine there are already 6 losses(23-6 record), that would mean a record of 25-8 when all is said and done. SU can't lose 2 more games and only have 7 losses.

In my post from 2 weeks ago (Feb 20) I said 25-7 going into the big dance. This is what I was refering to. Sorry if I confused you.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/09/05 09:12 AM

Here's the Big East Tourney web site ! woohoo March Madness baby!
http://www.bigeast.org/sports/mbball/champs/index.asp
Posted by: Coach64

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/09/05 10:10 PM

Congrats to Hakim Warrick, Big East Player of the Year

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/10/05 07:29 AM

9pm tonight go ORANGE! and Craig Forth Scholar Athelte of the
Year and Josh Pace Sportsman of the Year!!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/10/05 10:00 PM

LOL nice to see Boston College get booted out of the tourney early...enjoy the ACC, traitors! hahahaha

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/10/05 10:23 PM

Ok are SU's butt cheeks still smarting from the spankin they took last Saturday??? Lets hope so and they get revenge! Go SU!
Posted by: jackie

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/11/05 06:50 AM

I would love to go to the game tonite but the damn snow storm will stop me........I dont live to far from it......

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/11/05 10:33 AM

Quote:

LOL nice to see Boston College get booted out of the tourney early...enjoy the ACC, traitors! hahahaha

AMEN BROTHER!!!!

anyone else notice that ESPN has Va Tech listed as a bubble team? Va Tech!!??? Please, now granted I really have not seen them play but....from Big East bottom dweller to possible ACC bubble team???? Also last night one of the commentators said it showed how competitive the Big East is with Miami and VT doing so well in the ACC....which I agree with but I think it also shows how ACC isnt the super conference certian sports gurus make it out to be...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/11/05 01:31 PM

Once you get past the annual beasts--NC and Duke--its anyones game after that. I think it shows how tough the Big East is.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/11/05 01:58 PM

I'm not so sure I buy into this conference is so much more competitive balogna.

Look at Boston College, with the ecxeption of a short burst at the end of last season they sucked. This year they tied for first in the Big East.

Look at Georgia Tech, going from 2nd last year to a bubble team this year with the same team.

Look at SU, 5 teammates from the 2003 Championship team are still playing for SU and we'll likely have an early exit from the NCAA tourney again this year.

Some teams get better, some worse, and some stay the same. Just like some players. Warrick is much better than 2002. GMac is much worse overall than 2003. Forth is still the exact same Forth.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/11/05 02:00 PM

so how much do the lose by tonite? 5 10 15 or 20???

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/11/05 02:23 PM

I guess that I have alot of Big East bias lol..living in the south will do that

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/11/05 02:31 PM

Quote:

so how much do the lose by tonite? 5 10 15 or 20???

I think by 10 or more.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/11/05 02:33 PM

well I 'll be the optimist and say SU by three in OT.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/11/05 03:29 PM

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/11/05 04:40 PM

Quote:

well I 'll be the optimist and say SU by three in OT.

I want to believe they have got it together but I dont think so. As Rascal pointed out before no chemistry....but hey who knows its March madness..........

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/11/05 04:42 PM

I blame JB for not developing his freshmen and sophomores into what the team needs. He also needs to abandon the zone sometimes and refuses to. Winning the championship in 2003 has gone to his head...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/11/05 04:49 PM

all we can hope is that gtown tired uconn out with thier press... ok i'll admit i'm stretching it.. but ya never know. Even Gmac mentioned how bad he's played against uconn, and that the rest of the team needs to step it up and support him and hak!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/11/05 05:54 PM

Quote:

I blame JB for not developing his freshmen and sophomores into what the team needs. He also needs to abandon the zone sometimes and refuses to. Winning the championship in 2003 has gone to his head...

HAHA!!!! Gone to his head yeah right....

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/11/05 09:22 PM

32 to 19 half time and SU is up...hmmmm who wudda thunK it?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/11/05 09:25 PM

Finally this team is looking good. I like the fact that none of SU's players have 3 fouls yet. And Hak hitting 2 treys and McCroskey 1 besides GMac...Watkins is looking great too. Notice how Forth is not playing now!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/11/05 09:26 PM

still another 20 minutes to play.... I have to get out the tums again....

Yes Watkins is play great. Good hands and good rebounds.
Posted by: Bama

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/11/05 10:41 PM

congrats
Syracuse 67
Connecticut 63

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/11/05 10:42 PM

YESSSS!!!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/11/05 10:45 PM

yeah baby! When I saw Forth bring it down early on, and power dribble it ..even though he missed, I knew they had an attitude.. what a rugby match! YEAH!
Posted by: A.F.B.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/12/05 07:12 AM

those ref's really let those boys play tonite. hopefully they let teams play like that in the ncaa tournament. sometimes i wonder if they just let them bang like that in the big east. the whole team might have fouled out had they been playing in the acc.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/12/05 09:33 AM

Quote:

those ref's really let those boys play tonite. hopefully they let teams play like that in the ncaa tournament. sometimes i wonder if they just let them bang like that in the big east. the whole team might have fouled out had they been playing in the acc.

You know the funny thing about the refs last night. One of them was a ref when the two teams played at the Dome last month. If you remember he was the one making all the bad calls and getting booed by 28,000.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/12/05 09:36 AM

I'm glad my prediction of one win and then out in the B.E. tourney didn't happen.

Hopefully they can beat WV tonight.

SU will be forced out of the zone tonight once WV starts draining 3's. Another prediction.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/12/05 03:08 PM

Can it be? Is it possible? Will the drought finally end tonight?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/12/05 06:38 PM

Hak should have a field day tonight inside! West Virginia's zone will be extended, allowing SU's inside game to be readily available !!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/12/05 09:02 PM

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS! YEAH BABY! WAY TO GO SU!!!!!!! YEAH YEAH YEAAAAAAAAAH WOOOHOOOOOO!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/13/05 06:00 AM

Quote:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS! YEAH BABY! WAY TO GO SU!!!!!!! YEAH YEAH YEAAAAAAAAAH WOOOHOOOOOO!

DITTO!!!!!!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/15/05 10:40 AM

Found this on the Syracuse.com SU forums...

Quote:

Here is the real Billy Edelin story. I know from speaking to a trustee of Syracuse, an employer of Billy, and have spoken to Billy himself. Billy suffers from an emotional illness that he had before he attended Syracuse. Syracuse accepted him knowing of this problem and was willing to work with him through these problems. I have a child with a similar, but different mental illness, and know exactly the sort of things that Billy has to overcome on a daily basis, and I am VERY proud to be an alumni of a school that continues to support Billy while he tries to fight through his illness. These illnesses do not go away. They are there for a lifetime. Medications have come a long way to stablize people but are not perfect. Medications often have side effects and lose their effectiveness after time. Then it becomes necessary to change medications again. This can lead to different side effects. I am assuming that Billy had some sort of step back, and is going through medication changes.I would also assume that Boeheim realized this issue during the Boston College game. Whatever Billy said must have set off a warning bell. This process takes several weeks to complete. I am sick and tired of reading all of the Billy comments on this board. The fact that while he is going through this latest round of adjustments while still attending practice and supporting his teamates shows how far he has come in the last year. I wish Billy only the best of things in life, and hope he continues his successes in living with his illness.

If this is true it really makes you want BE to get well again and help contribute to the team.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/15/05 08:44 PM

Here's the "scoop" on SU's first game...

http://www.sufans.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=4422&forum_id=1

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/17/05 12:37 PM

BE didn't make the bus trip for SU's 1st game. Academic issues were mentioned...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/17/05 12:59 PM

Well he has been a non factor for awhile now as far as the team goes. It's too bad that in Big time college sports some people attack this kid for his mental illness issues. I even found myself feeling that way for a little bit, saying to myself that if he cant stay with the team he should just be let go" then I thought more about his apparent "issues" and I give coach B tons of credit for trying to "help" him. bummer all the way around

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/17/05 03:17 PM

Unfortunately for SU BE is using up one of its athletic scholarships...

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/18/05 02:14 PM

This article says he didnt show up for the bus...
Nice last paragraph quote by him....
http://www.syracuse.com/sports/poststandard/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1111138849316090.xml

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/18/05 07:38 PM

This game is horrible!!!! Where is the team that marched thru the big east tourney????

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/18/05 08:20 PM

well there is always next year.....

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/18/05 08:51 PM

Syracuse pretty much beat themselves. One thing, the techincal foul on Roberts dunk (horrible call BTW). Take that away and Vermont loses in regulation by two.
Posted by: MC.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/18/05 09:46 PM

I didn't even knew vermont had basketball. i agree on the technical, and if i was boheim I would of got thrown out maybe for incentive just to save this game, but this was borderline crimminal. JMO.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/18/05 10:30 PM

with or without that crappy call Syracuse gave this game to Vermont. Those turn overs were absolutly ridiculous. They deserved to lose!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/19/05 06:59 AM

Once again we saw bad coaching lose the game for SU.

When things start going good for SU, such as the press defense, all of a sudden and instantly it is stopped...Many other things as well.

And I think something really bad is going on with JB. We knew Edelin wasn't going to be at the game but where were BOTh of the Wrights? Are they transferring now?

Lots of rumors floating around right now.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/19/05 07:46 AM

Syracuse's 2 man offense got exposed again yesterday. What you need to go far in this tournament is a multi-dimensional offense with strong play from all your seniors...like KANSAS! Talk about your bracket busters! Holy Cow.

BTW, thanks for the scoop on BE. I knew there was something really wrong and it's unfortunate that there was so much gossip about him. I too truly hope his condition can be fixed or controlled so he can have a quasi-normal life and if there is basketball in his future for SU, that will be icing on his cake.

All the best to BE and thanks for a nice season Orange. It was again fun watching you this year.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/29/05 07:19 PM

Roundball Classic on right now, cable channel 53. Get a glimpse of next year's SU guard Eric Devendorf (sp) !

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/29/05 07:20 PM

what station is that?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/29/05 07:23 PM

College Sports TV, it was Fox Sports. But, now MSG & Fox Sports have been taken off our local cable station (Fingerlakes & Rochester) and replaced with alternatives having something to do with the NY Nets and NY Knicks blah, blah, blah.......$$$$$$

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/29/05 08:18 PM

Great offense in this game by college seniors. Per the norm, defense needs to be developed by college coaches, Devendorf is no exception !!!

Eric clearly CAN SHOOT, be a play maker, and (potentially) control a game !!!!!

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/30/05 06:20 AM

Is he the one that kept getting suspended from his high school team?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/30/05 07:40 AM

Quote:

Great offense in this game by college seniors. Per the norm, defense needs to be developed by college coaches, Devendorf is no exception !!!

Eric clearly CAN SHOOT, be a play maker, and (potentially) control a game !!!!!

College seniors?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/30/05 08:20 AM

Quote:

Is he the one that kept getting suspended from his high school team?

my bad I think it is Tiki..... thats all we need another player who cant stay on the team

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/30/05 08:33 AM

Quote:

College seniors?

Error is always in a hurry !
Highschool seniors

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/30/05 08:39 AM

Aren't many of these kids prep school students? Meaning they already graduated from high school?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/30/05 08:47 AM

Granted, some, not all. Such as Devendorf.
He went to a highschool in Mouth of Wilson,Virginia
for his senior year. I can't think of the name of the
school right now, but it's one of the best basketball
schools in the country. 'Melo, Edelin, & one of the Wrights went there.

Found thisLINK

Gio, I wonder if Kiki will ever make it to the hill!?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 03/31/05 07:53 PM

Did anyone see Paulus and McRoberts hooking up in the McDonalds All-American game last night? What a pair of gems Duke has recruited for next season!

It's too bad Paulus' dream was to play for Duke, leaving SU NO CHANCE AT ALL to entice him.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 04/03/05 03:56 PM

Paulus' dream is to learn how to caoch from Mike Shuhshefskee. Good plan.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 05/21/05 11:51 AM

So long, Billy.

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 07/26/05 03:17 PM

Bye, bye Dayshawn Wright ??

Not really a big surprise if this is true !

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 07/29/05 08:43 AM

Quote:

Bye, bye Dayshawn Wright ??

Not really a big surprise if this is true !

Did I miss something? What are you talking about?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 07/29/05 09:39 AM

Somewhere, somehow (SI article) Coach B was quoted as saying Dayshaun, more than likely, would not be returning this year.

Henceforth, Dayshaun was quoted (while on campus attending summer classes) as saying this was a false statement, he plans on returning! He didn't know why coach would say anything to the contrary.

Story to be continued......

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 07/29/05 09:47 AM

I missed that.... do you remember the name of the article?

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 07/29/05 12:22 PM

Nope!

One of the afternoon WHEN Sportsradio guys has been following the story this week.
Posted by: compton23

Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05 - 07/29/05 02:15 PM

Dayshaun is currently in summer school taking two classes. One of which he is doing very well in, he needs a B in the other class to remain eligible. I saw an interview with Dayshaun and he says is is dead set on remaining at SU and is working very hard to do so. He is not as good as gone as was basically reported by ESPN and a few others.