Letter to the Editor, 8/20/20, Finger Lakes Times

Posted by: Ben444

Letter to the Editor, 8/20/20, Finger Lakes Times - 09/08/20 06:13 AM

To the Editor:

President Trump says mail in voting will cause a lot of voter fraud. He is 100% wrong. After being questioned about absentee voting which he has done numerous times, he said it is different and that is OK. They are exactly the same. After working in a county Board of Elections office, I can tell you that absentee voting is very secure with many safeguards. The only difference with mail in voting vs absentee voting is that there would be many more paper ballots to be counted if the majority of the voters vote by mail. The same scrutiny would apply to all to ensure they are legitimate.

Oregon has had all mail in voting for 20 years. They have no polling places and it works just fine. Several other states mostly in the west are now doing it too.

Trump says there would be millions of ballots coming from overseas! That is impossible. The ballot you vote on for president also has state and local races on it. So ballots are different all over the country making mass ballots coming from overseas a joke. Each ballot received in the mail at the local Board of Elections has to be shown to belong to a local voter.

Mail in voting especially during a pandemic is certain to increase voter participation which is certainly a good thing. But now Trump is threatening the Post Office! He wants to slow mail delivery! This is outrageous.

Trump won the electoral college in 2016 but Hillary Clinton won the popular vote by 3 million votes! That buggedTrump so much that Hillary won the popular vote that he claimed many people voted more than once! He said Massachusetts voters voted in MA and then went by the bus loads to New Hampshire to vote there! New Hampshire officials said that is preposterous and did not happen. Trump said that people would go in and vote. Then they go out to the car and change their shirt and go back in and vote again! This is so laughable. No one in their right mind thinks this is possible.

The Washington Post says Trump has lied 20,000 times since becoming president. Does he know these are lies or is he so delusional that he thinks he is telling the truth? Either way if he gets re-elected he will destroy the greatest democracy the world has ever known.

Larry Peterson
Waterloo, NY

Re: Letter to the Editor, 8/20/20, Finger Lakes Times - 09/09/20 06:50 AM

Letter to the Editor, 9/9/20, Finger Lakes Times, Geneva, NY

-- A call for Rep. Reed to help with USPS issues --

To the Editor:

Dear Representative Reed, Your constituents need your help. The United States Postal Service is under attack, and we need you to help protect it. The US Postal Service has been an essential part of American life since it was authorized by our Constitution in 1788.
But now, Donald Trump is working to undercut the Postal Service for his stated reason that he wants to prevent the use of mail-in ballots in the coming presidential election which is for his own electoral advantage.

There is no evidence to support Trump

Re: Letter to the Editor, 8/20/20, Finger Lakes Times - 09/22/20 07:23 AM

Letter to the Editor, 9/18/20, Finger Lakes Times, Geneva, NY

--- Well past time for electoral collage to be eliminated ---

To the Editor:

Since April 2019 I have written numerous Letters to the Editor of this newspaper (before this one) blasting Trump. The paper estimates that approximately 25,000 people read it every day. I can only assume that most of them read my letters.

Now suppose my letters convinced 100 people not to vote for Trump. Unfortunately that would not make one bit of difference in whether he is reelected because I live in New York, which is not a swing state!
Our president is elected by the electoral vote and not by the popular vote. Biden is going to easily win NY without my help. Hillary Clinton beat Trump by 3 million popular votes nationwide in 2016. If I lived in Pennsylvania or some other swing state, 100 votes could make the difference in who won that state! And in a close electoral college situation that one state could make the difference in who is elected president!

It is far past time that the electoral college is eliminated and the president is selected by who gets the most votes of the people as every other election in this country is decided.

But if we want to make sure the Trump propaganda machine is gone for good, we need to get as many anti-Trump votes as possible in all 50 states so the outcome is overwhelming and another candidate never again comes up with this type of baloney threatening our democracy.

Nov. 4, 2020 to Jan. 21, 2021 may be the most dangerous time ever in the history of this country. Win or lose, Trump will still be the president and will no longer have to worry about the voters. Regardless of the outcome of the election, he will declare he won and the election was rigged. He would still have the nuclear football. I don

Re: Letter to the Editor, 8/20/20, Finger Lakes Times - 09/22/20 07:25 AM

I don